A Splitting Decision

A land of wonders and oddities, with change around every corner. Jump right in!

Moderators: Mendi-chan, Kether

Re: A Splitting Decision

Postby Whatevr89532 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:56 pm

The remote doesn't even have two buttons, just the one that plays when paused and pauses when played. It doesn't seem like Lyra intends to come back all that soon, so if Oyoki thinks being bored makes her sleepier, then figuring the strange device out might be worth it, to get the show going again...

--

The sanitization process involves breaking data up into tinier and tinier chunks, encrypting each differently and storing them all in very different sections of computer memory, until the effect is confirmably gone from the separate, individual pieces. In terms of the metaphor: The meaning of this thread would be very hard to discern if each individual word were stored somewhere else, and harder still if each one was encrypted with a different key, but with the necessary information and the right tools one would still have the option of putting it back together again later. Seeing the effect of removing the scrolls, Lyra instead removes all scrolls not producing this effect, and once the records are made, puts the scrolls causing it back in the storage room such that they're the only things there. Then the storage room itself is reconfigured, the outer walls' effects inverted in direction to prevent escape rather than intrusion, and further measures brought in from elsewhere beyond that. The process is similar to moving the whole house around an object instead of just moving the object: Normally unnecessary, but theoretically possible even if the object is supposed to be immovable.
I am the variable-gender werewolf.
My TG Captions. Stories are also here. PM me if interested in source images...
A caption challenges blog, where I challenge you!

(Old Muffin Room characters purged; new character list here)
Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby xGoggles » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:25 pm

Stubborn as she was, Oyoki decides to figure out how this whole lightning manipulation would work.. or 'electricity' as it was called. So she moves closer to the TV, trying to look around and behind the screen, wanting to observe it's magical-matrix. Lightning magic wasn't all that difficult for such an astute learner as herself.. but.. either she didn't have her magically enhanced perceptive eyes anymore or maybe the device itself didn't work on magic at all; because as hard as she tried, she just couldn't figure out how it'd work... It had no charms, runes, visible chi or mana-pool or even divine light or anything.. just this weird tail going back into the wall and some markings with symbols she didn't understand yet...
Frowning at the frozen screen, almost mocking her as she wasn't able to figure out how it animates or de-animates and yet somehow even lowly humans were able to use this device.

She talks out loudly in an arrogant manner, "Listen up witch, if you ever were interested in anything I could tell you, you better give me my sleep-immunity back. If I ever were to fall asleep, I'll likely won't ever wake up again.. or at least would become too traumatized to talk... You don't want that to happen, now would you~", she tried to lure Lyra back into a conversation, likely to prove Oyoki wrong, but that was the point, just to get her back here.
But after a while waiting, she gets impatient again, annoyed that Lyra didn't seem as easily baited anymore as Oyoki thought the witch was.

Heading back to the couch, catching herself to prevent another yawn. She takes the remote back from the floor and wonders how it was supposed to be used... Did she have to throw it to the screen? Maybe that was too barbaric... And why were these weird symbols on it? A triangle, an oblique line and then a pair of parallel lines, all on this small different surface than the rest of the material of the device... Hm, maybe this was a wand of some the kind? Oyoki swings the 'wand' in the direction of the TV and speaks up "Go... Animate... Activate... Move?... Live?!......Friendship is magic...???" She pouts, her face so adorable when she did, frustrated that none of her commands worked. Was this device used as an offering for a ritual? But normal humans wouldn't know how to do that either, they wouldn't even know how to perform most magic at all... So how would someone, with no magic ability or knowledge.. make this work?... What would they do..? Trying to neglect all the other possibilities she came up with and went with the most simple and least complex thing she could think of... She touches the small surface with the weird markings on the device, pointing in the direction of the TV. And by surprise.. the images on screen animated again.... She mutters, cringing at how easy it was, "I hate... human's simplicities..."
The little fox-girl sets herself back on the couch and tries to amuse herself with the TV show.

--

The new records, all broken-up and encrypted, stopped showing signs of 'the effect' happening to them; as it might appear that the knowledge needs to be partly whole for it to have this mysterious reaction.
With all the special scrolls together, that slightly did increase the rate of the changes, the phenomenon was bringing more and more to the storage, as it started to become more decorated with plants and ornaments, all in this light blue color, transparent and only observable with those with a mind. The only objective thing that could be observed was the drastic drop in temperature, this magical cold didn't harm the scrolls, but made them very stiff and hard to move or break. Not long after the interior of the storage looks almost like a garden, a quite pretty one at that. But nothing much else appears to be happening after that; It doesn't try to grow beyond the limits of the room, nothing tries to escape or invade anything, it just peacefully remains in place to show it's beauty to anyone that wished to perceive it.
--

Unofficial MSF Discord server: https://discord.gg/wzaebh9
xGoggles
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Whatevr89532 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:33 am

Of course, 'friendship is magic' is the subtitle of the show, which is maybe what Lyra meant. These weird horse-people seem to solve all their problems by helping each other out and being "friends" with each other..even problems involving fights between said friends. And the purple one keeps sending letters to her queen about how wonderful friendship is, and various things she's learning about it. Oyoki's current childish side enjoys the bright colors and the humor, but if she actually thinks about what's going on in the events of the show, even that might annoy her a bit.

--

A Lyra in a control room uses means specifically intended to deal with "only perceivable to conscious beings" to remotely watch as the process continues with the strange collusion of scrolls. Cognitohazard guards are in place, of course, in case watching it is supposed to do something to the watcher. Now to see if this is the final stage of progression that doesn't require some sort of outside interference, or if it's just a delay in whatever the phenomenon is.

Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby xGoggles » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:55 pm

Oyoki was just mildly amused by the story, as in watching the struggles of the weak and powerless. She felt like with just more power and clever thinking, most of these issues would be avoided or overcome quite easily... To her being weak and together was both the cause and, only for this show, the solution to the problems. But unlike in her life, friendship alone rarely was a suitable solution.
Part of her became sad thinking on how cruel her world was, how it couldn't be as happy and peaceful like in the show, but that sadness quickly got buried again by hate and disgust for others that made life difficult for her.

--

Just like the phenomenon respects the boundaries of the room, it also doesn't try to invade in any other way, observing it doesn't seem to activate any magical effects or influence at all. What is left there in the room just seems to be set-up to be a beautiful display, an artwork of an unusual indoor garden. As long Lyra might wait, nothing seems to be really changing anymore within the room, just the movement of the butterflies going from flower to flower, as the garden is in a state of serenity.
--

xGoggles
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Whatevr89532 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:34 pm

A few more episodes in, Oyoki's body starts to really want to sleep. It really feels like it's late at night, and even the active animation before her won't keep her awake too much longer while reclining on the soft, cushy couch.

--

After waiting a short while and not seeing any real changes, Lyra pushes a button which teleports a perfectly normal, cute little white rabbit into the affected storage room. Perfectly normal, standard procedure, to see what happens when something living but not exactly intelligent goes in there.

Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby xGoggles » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:33 pm

She lets out another yawn and rubs her eyes, muttering a bit "Annoying witch.. taking away my powers.. making me sleepy... I'd take her limbs if the tables were turned, see if she'd like that...." Yawning yet again, having trouble staying away she starts talking out loud again hoping Lyra would hear her, "I'm serious.. if I enter dreamworld, I might never return.. if you really are that good of a person, you better save me now... I'm not joking..."
Oyoki reluctantly gets off the couch, to sit on the hard floor, maybe the less comfortable surface would keep her awake for a while longer. She tries as hard as she can to stay awake. Maybe that time trying to blow up the room earlier wasn't that smart of an idea, her body was so exhausted now...

--

The bunny doesn't seem bothered by the magical cold, as it does seem to perceive the plants of the garden and even tries to nibble on the illusiony vegetation, that weirdly enough realistically reacts to it and loses pieces as if it was slightly consumed. Though for any non-sentient observance it would just look like the rabbit was eating from the air. After the bunny was done taking from the plant, it simply grew back like nothing happened. And so the beauty of the garden remains, while the rabbit simple roams around it unhindered.
--

xGoggles
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Whatevr89532 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:13 pm

Somewhere, Lyra giggles to herself slightly about her limbs being removed. It wouldn't exactly be a meaningful injury to her...

If Lyra's as concerned about keeping Oyoki alive as she seems, her lack of a response is probably a good indication she doesn't believe the little fox-girl to be in any real danger from sleeping. Maybe that talk with the dream guardians went well as far as she's concerned. At any rate, little girls do need their sleep--but Oyoki certainly has the option of trying her hardest not to sleep by running around and bouncing on the couch and so on...just like a little girl who doesn't want to sleep yet does. It'd be quite a childish, embarrassing display though.

--

"Hmm..." It seems harmless, but it is an unknown quantity in her house, so leaving it alone forever isn't a real option. Lyra decides to try another approach. A communication spell carries the sound of her voice into the affected storage room. "Hello. Is there a personality present to hear me?"

Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby xGoggles » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:38 am

Oyoki considers that doing any more physical activity would drain her energy even more.. but doing nothing would just snooze her body into sleep too. She thinks back, she once heard of some monks that were able to meditate for days without sleep or food... But she never learned that specific technique or had a well-trained body like they had. Being out of options, she pauses the TV the same way she found out to un-pause it, then she sits down in a proper meditating position, concentrating on her breathing and focusing on her chi and try to keep that up as long as possible.

--

And suddenly a calm and gentle soft voice of a woman could be heard coming from the room, "Oh? Hello there, 'wandering voice'. Welcome~ Are you the one that brought this adorable little rabbit in here?" Yet there was no visible information really to who was speaking, almost like there wasn't a body present for the voice to originate from.
--

xGoggles
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Whatevr89532 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:41 pm

Meditating seems to basically work as normal, Red girl or not, but...well, remaining still and calm is hardly the sort of thing renowned for keeping one awake for terribly long. If her eyes aren't already closed for meditation purposes, they're awfully heavy.

--

"That's right. My name is Lyra, and I should really be welcoming you, I suppose. A certain sequence of events has caused you to manifest somewhere in my house, y'see," says the witch. "Could I ask who you are?"

Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby xGoggles » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:01 am

Her eyes closed and mind at peace, even tired her thoughts were clear for now. Oyoki, reflects on the events that happened today, on what she learned, in what state she was in now.. she focuses on what options she has available and plans ahead to what she could possibly do with them.
The little fox-girl's head starts to slowly waggle downwards, becoming heavy as well, then reactivity jumps up every time, trying not to doze off.
As more time went by the harder it got to focus to stay awake, but she wasn't giving up that easily; straightening her sitting posture, concentrating on her breathing and managing her will to stay awake.
Oyoki didn't even notice when she eventually did fall asleep on the floor out of exhaustion. She did manage to stay up for quite some time, maybe with some weeks practice, she'll be able to keep it up for a few more hours.

--

After a brief pause, the voice returns, "Yes I see... I thank you Lyra, for welcoming me into your home, even if I did manifest without an invitation, please forgive me for that." The voice pauses again, "I'd love to share who I am, but could I suggest we do our introductions while having some tea? It feels quite informal to me, talking to each other over a distance; I prefer to see who I'm having a conversation with, if you don't mind."
--

xGoggles
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Whatevr89532 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:24 pm

In the waking world, not long after the little fox-girl falls asleep, some telekinetics are applied to very gently lift her off the floor and and just as softly over into the bedroom she didn't even peek into before, ending up tucking her into bed. She isn't jostled enough to wake at any point, of course...

If Oyoki feared some outside force besides the dream guardians attacking her while asleep, or if indeed some outside force has an interest in even contacting her during that state, they'll have an awfully hard time. One of the most powerful and skilled of their number is overseeing her dream, and most abilities or spells normally capable of detecting a dreaming person won't even see that she's asleep--beyond that, getting into her dream means getting past said guardian, which wouldn't be an easy task either. But Oyoki herself isn't directly made aware of the guardian during her dream, even as it is guided by them.

It's one of those dreams where one experiences the life and mindset of another person entirely, rather than being oneself in some impossible situation. Oyoki dreams of being a young fox-boy back on her homeworld. His 'parents' are a pair of humans who found him as a baby, reasonably accomplished mages who use spells to hide his unusual traits every time he goes outside. Rumors abound of a terrifying, monstrous fox-woman who's been destroying her own kind, and the fear of her reprisal is evident in his parent's eyes every time they weave their illusions over him. But in this small village of theirs, things seem fine.

Morning, and the boy wakes to the sound of arguing upstairs. He sleeps in the basement, where there are no windows for people to see his true form through. It's his parents arguing with each other, vehemently and angrily. They've never argued like this before.

--

"Seems fair enough," says Lyra's voice. After a moment, some bright pink liquid seems to leak down from the ceiling of the storage room, pooling into a kind of congealed mound on the floor. As soon as it stops pouring in, the strange goo rises up into the shape of a person, and then seems to sort of..solidify into a humanoid body with clothes. Lyra has taken on another appearance , not that this visitor would know that. She reaches out and grabs as if from the air a teapot and a little table which already has a couple of empty cups and a bowl of sugar on it, and sets the table down before placing pot in the middle of it. "..There we go."

Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby xGoggles » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:40 am

The dream, very well hidden, but as the event of her falling asleep came to be, so did a group.. no.. an army full with armed specters in traditional clothing emerge, right in front the entrance to her dreamscape. A young man leading, holds up a scroll and speaks, "The prophecy has been foretold. This should be the place where we'll finally be able to lay our vengeance to rest. After this, our clan will finally be free!", the rest of the army hails loudly.
An older man taps the leader on the shoulder, "Remain cautious, we don't know why were given this chance, we should not take this opportunity lightly. And even though I can't sense her corruption anymore, I'm certain this will still remain a difficult fight."
-
The fox-boy twitches his ears trying to pick-up on what the arguing was about. Failing to do so from his bed, he rushes over to the door, slightly opening it, to get a better listen. Worried this might have to do with the rumors going on, he listens carefully to the dispute of his parents.

--

"Oh~ What a beguiling appearance", the voice said in a joyful tone. "You seem to master the art of magic quite well Lyra."
And as the table gets placed, out of the garden illusionary vines made out of light grew forward, tangling in within each other until they form an elaborate chair, decorated with flower pieces as white roses bloom open. And even as it looked like it was all just an illusion, something changes within it, as the transparency and glow fade, the chair finally becomes a tangible object with mass.
An empty chair but still no presence of the woman Lyra was talking to. But soon after the chair was done; blue and white light started to collect in the air above, swirling and twirling, and after mere seconds a feminine shape could be distinguished from the light. And as the light begins to settle and softly flows around the head, mimicking the movement of hair, more light gathers around the shoulders and starts to sparkle in a downwards trend leaving what seems to be the cloth of a dress. She shape of light now looks like a ghostly woman. The white light on her head grows fox-ears, and nine threads of light bind themselves at her bottom and thicken in volume. Then the remaining blue light surrounds the whole body once more, shrouding it in an egg-shaped cocoon of light and then, a bright but not harmful flash from it fills the room, and leaves a rather beautiful fox-lady floating in the air in front of Lyra.
The lady lowers herself onto the chair, seating in a graceful manner, "I too enjoy to give an elegant entrance. First impressions are quite valuable~", she says then giggles softly. "Just like the way one does chanoyu."
She waits, either for the cat-girl to take a seat as well or for her to pour the tea. "You may call me Miori, thank you again for accepting me in your.. humble home.", Miori says, staying polite of the overall mediocre look of the storage, well before she let her garden appear that is.
--

xGoggles
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Whatevr89532 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:19 pm

This would be fine, except, well...there is no entrance to the small fox-girl's dreamscape in her current state. Anything trying to appear just outside of it actually winds up floating outside of something resembling a big bubble made of steel. It has no obvious entrance even to those who are incorporeal, and gives off a strongly foreboding feeling--one which, when examined more closely, seems to be specifically saying "Dream Guardian at work. Keep out or risk punishment." A foreboding feeling that specific is much easier to pull off in a dream-world than in the real one, perhaps.

--

His mother is saying: "I won't do it! I won't..I can't..."
"Do you want to be responsible for that monster coming back?" And his father, who seems to hold the opposite opinion. "I know I don't. We can't let the life of one person outweigh all the lives that were sacrificed, all the work that was done--"
"One life!? It's--he's our..." She almost whispers. "He's our only son. We've worked so hard to protect him...There has to be another way. Her curse isn't here. We checked."
"It doesn't matter. It may always spread here. And even if it doesn't, it could be everywhere else! You just want to keep him here forever? Isn't that worse?"
The boy is not fully mature--early teens, about. He understands only a little about the world. The exact subject of the argument takes a moment to sink in, partially due to naiveté and partially due to shock and denial that it could be--but an icy fear grips him as he realizes that, for some reason or another, his parents are talking about killing him. And it seems like his father, who wants to do it, is winning the argument.

Of course, they've taught him some magic, and he's figured out a little on his own. He knows how to hide his unusual features, and he knows reasonably well how to hide himself. If his parents really don't want him around--wouldn't it be better if he could just...disappear?

--

Lyra takes a seat, and the teapot seems to lift itself up before neatly pouring some freshly-brewed tea in each cup. "Pleased to meet you. This isn't exactly my best-decorated room--or, well, I should say it wasn't," says the cat-witch with a shrug. "I don't fully know the details of how you appeared, but once you began to do so it wasn't obvious how to move you anyplace else. I get a lot of uninvited guests who just want to steal from or hurt me, so I have to err on the side of caution whenever there's a surprise. But that said, the tea and sugar aren't poisoned at all. I don't expect you to take my word for it, but I don't have any better proof to give since I can basically detect and filter out most toxins, but--I don't know--hospitality rules? I have no reason or desire to do you harm until I understand the situation better, or unless you attack me somehow."

Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby xGoggles » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:37 pm

The leader raises his sword, "This is our last chance for redemption, let's make it count! Charge!" And with that, the whole army of specters charges forwards to the bubble. The leader in front charges his sword with energy, slashing forward and launches a forceful strike through the air from it; a strike that in the real world would be able to swiftly cut its way through mundane steel with ease.
--
He couldn't believe what he was hearing. This couldn't be real.. His parents would never--... No! They loved him! They always did so much effort to keep him safe.. was that all for nothing? But he wouldn't even be able to ask why... Or even tell them goodbye; knowing full well he'd endanger himself if he tried to talk to them. He had to get out... Out before they'd realize he was gone.
Going through his belongings, didn't they give him an escape-talisman one day, to teleport him to their external hideout outside of town, for in case he ever got into trouble? It had to be somewhere.

--

Miori smiles, "Do you like my work? I was afraid after so long I might have been slightly out of practice, but honestly, it still came out pretty well, don't you think?" Then she gently nods, "Ah yes, my reappearance, like a beautiful flower able to grow in fertile ground; I'm happy that some of my knowledge was able to find a non-corrupted environment to use as a gate for my 'core' and so able to release my influence, to shape a body. And yes, I fully understand your caution. That is why I started with a peaceful garden, anyone accepting its beauty would likely find it in their heart to accept me too."
Her nine tails softly swaying around behind her while she sits. She merely observes the cup assigned to her with her eye and then continues, "Don't worry, I mean no harm, not to you, anyone or anything. I believe nothing beautiful should be destroyed, and that what is not beautiful can always be made prettier. The way you make your tea, might not be as graceful, but it tells enough for me to trust you."
--

xGoggles
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Whatevr89532 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:07 pm

The leader's sword audibly clinks against the metal in a way that seems almost intended to sound ineffectual...and then, time seems to physically reverse for the army for a second, bringing them back to their original positions. A certain Anubis-girl, dressed in cutoff jean-shorts, a very undersized t-shirt, and some gold bangles, appears sitting cross-legged in midair in front of them, a smartphone held up in front of her. "Uuuuugh, why is this one stupid girl so much trouble?!" she says, not taking her eyes off the phone. "Seriously, can people not read an ominous sense of foreboding? And like, what is it with people who want to kill for revenge anyway? Making someone live and suffer is way more satisfying." She sighs, finally lowering the phone slightly to face the leader in the eyes with that annoyed look. "Here's another fun fact, dummy. We Dream Guardians enforce a reality here where killing someone in a dream never ever ever kills them in real life! You'll just screw up her punishment and wake her up early! Who even are you?!"

--

Eventually...the boy finds that talisman! The arguing gets louder and more vehement again...he should make sure he has whatever he needs fast, they'll be too distracted to notice him using it right now.

--

"Alright..." Lyra nods. "Sooo...you're welcome to stay in my house for a while as a guest if you want, but for future reference this is in a pocket dimension--uh, a miniature world that's literally just my house. Obviously I'd be interested in getting you back to your proper home world, or another world you'd prefer to it, at some point. But for now I'm pretty curious about you in general. What happened to put you out of a physical body and into a bunch of spells?"

Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

PreviousNext

Return to the Muffinverse