Well i thought of something

Stories~! Art~! CREATIVITY~! Anything the creative juices in your brain might happen to create is welcome here~!

Moderator: Raleigh

Postby Sugandya » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:16 am

An illustrator can adopt techniques used in fine art divisions to illustrate some concept or promo art for a game, or make textures (which, yes, are usually drawn/painted) for ingame graphics. That's just a tiny example.

Art is just an expression of life. Stick "fine" in front of it, and it suddenly becomes some blueblood's investment property, hahaha

People overthink art, especially when you stick "fine" in front of it. I don't know wether to blame the "fine" artists themselves or the layman for doing that.
Sugandya
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Postby Goose » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:19 pm

The topic is fine in this room. It's as much art discussion as it is video games.

And yes, video games are an artform, and given their emphasis on visuals, I don't think there's a reasonable argument to be made otherwise. Saying games aren't art because they make money pretty much leaves us with nothing to call art except for cave paintings. I wouldn't call them high or fine art, but that's more of a social standing thing, and does nothing to take away from the games themselves or other examples of what we would call "low art". The fact that most people look down on games, comics, and animation as low art makes it all the more appealing to me.
The Art Goose
Goose
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Previous

Return to Creative Corner