Well i thought of something

Stories~! Art~! CREATIVITY~! Anything the creative juices in your brain might happen to create is welcome here~!

Moderator: Raleigh

Well i thought of something

Postby sbdark » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:46 pm

Ok i know this is sort of off topic and if it is im sorry.
But do you concider videogames a artform in some respects?
Again im new i dont know if this belongs here and if it is im so sorry.
I do concider videogames a true form of art because something that can show true human emotion like a videogame can be concidered art.
I mean if i made a game i would show my emotions in it but thats just me anyone else agree or disagree?
Idk im bored so im here
sbdark
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:03 pm

they should be treated as any other medium is. They can be used to convey ideas, or people can use games to just waste time. In itself, videogames aren't any more or less than a canvas or an empty page.
Aaron
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby sbdark » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:09 pm

Aaron wrote:they should be treated as any other medium is. They can be used to convey ideas, or people can use games to just waste time. In itself, videogames aren't any more or less than a canvas or an empty page.

That is exactly what a videogame is a empty canvas anything is possible in the videogame world just as it is in hand drawn art or movies.
I never could draw anything but my ideas are there and i would love nothing more than let my ideas to be seen by a world wide crowd.
Idk im bored so im here
sbdark
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Postby Zeph » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:33 pm

I would have to say no, seeing as video games are mainly released with the intention of turning a profit.
My art

Zeph: Why would the nations of the world spend gazillions of dollars to punch through dimensions just for sexy elf chicks?
Zeph: ....Wait, I just answered my own question.
Zeph
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby sbdark » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:59 pm

Zeph wrote:I would have to say no, seeing as video games are mainly released with the intention of turning a profit.

What about independent devlopers?
They sometimes dont even have a publisher but they have there ideas put into videogames.
Dont look at people like Ea or Square enix look at them when you think of this.
Idk im bored so im here
sbdark
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Postby Cow Belle » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:54 pm

I think that I would like to think that most people do things mostly because they want to. Yes they have to live to make the games an such. When you ask this question you must ask yourself, what really makes art? Is it something you do for free or is it something that you make a living at?
Some stuff happen, and there was cow bell! And all was good.
Cow Belle
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Coruscate » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:04 am

Profit doens't make something less of an art.

Building a business is considered an art by some, depending on how you go about it.

If you don't give a #$#$, then it's not an art.

But if you try to create aesthetics, joy, convey a story, emotions etc. then it's an interactive story, or a moving painting, etc. etc.

But video games do have aroom, not that this topic should go there, I think it's fine to debate games as art in art, why not. But anything else would probably go in the video games room.
"god knows I don't go through life trying to be normal. Peculiar suits me just fine."
-Xia

Deviant Art
Coruscate
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby sbdark » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:23 am

Coruscate wrote:Profit doens't make something less of an art.

Building a business is considered an art by some, depending on how you go about it.

If you don't give a #$#$, then it's not an art.

But if you try to create aesthetics, joy, convey a story, emotions etc. then it's an interactive story, or a moving painting, etc. etc.

But video games do have aroom, not that this topic should go there, I think it's fine to debate games as art in art, why not. But anything else would probably go in the video games room.

Ohh i knew i made a mistake im sorry.
Idk im bored so im here
sbdark
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Postby Cow Belle » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:29 am

No worrys, no worrys. It happens to the best of us from time to time. ^_^ Maybe a mod will move it or something. But, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. We still like ya. :p
Some stuff happen, and there was cow bell! And all was good.
Cow Belle
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Aaron » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:29 am

Zeph wrote:I would have to say no, seeing as video games are mainly released with the intention of turning a profit.

So are books. Publishers release them because they think they will be a profitable venture. Under your reasoning, the only literature that would be art is that which is done for free.
Aaron
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby sbdark » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:19 pm

Aaron wrote:

So are books. Publishers release them because they think they will be a profitable venture. Under your reasoning, the only literature that would be art is that which is done for free.

But in the same respects you have paintings that go for millions on the dime.
So i guess we cant call Picasso a artiest then?
Idk im bored so im here
sbdark
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Postby Kumi-chan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:37 pm

Well....3d modeling and concept artworks are art so yes videogames can be considered an art.
Kumi-chan
Spaminator
Spaminator

Postby Zeph » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:29 pm

sbdark wrote:
Aaron wrote:

But in the same respects you have paintings that go for millions on the dime.
So i guess we cant call Picasso a artiest then?

No, we can, because Picasso didn't paint to make money, he painted to convey emotion and other art-type stuff. Writers and artists may make money through their art, but they don't necessarily make art to make money.
My art

Zeph: Why would the nations of the world spend gazillions of dollars to punch through dimensions just for sexy elf chicks?
Zeph: ....Wait, I just answered my own question.
Zeph
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Sugandya » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:45 pm

Videogames are art in the sense that they bring many forms of drafting, fine art, engineering, music, litature, drama, and craft together to make something.
Sugandya
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Postby Christina Anikari » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:41 pm

...How can something include fine art? Fine art is just a collective term for what the snobs considered real art back when impressionism started appearing. It can be anything from stone carving to theater. In any case i personally reject the concept of art. No definition of it can be made that that can contain everything commonly regarded as art, even among art critics. There is no way to unite greek religious sculptures made for cultic purposes, renaisance paintings made to glorify the reign of an Italian prince and avangarde poetry that manages to sell around 100 copies as sharing anything other than the label of "art".
Christina Anikari
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Next

Return to Creative Corner