The Magical Girl Academy

Stories~! Art~! CREATIVITY~! Anything the creative juices in your brain might happen to create is welcome here~!

Moderator: Raleigh

Postby Thorn » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:43 pm

Sorta update but Ai rules. He did two sketches of Adena

I am working on chapter 3 btw

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/Th ... mg0070.png

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/Th ... 0069-1.png
Huggbees!
Thorn
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Arkain » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:59 pm

Innit that adorable? I haven't seen much of Ai's work lately.

Now, someone comment on mine! ;D

Arkain, the Patron Saint of People Who Fight Against Being Transformed Instead of Accepting It. Canonized...right about now.
Arkain
MSFer
MSFer

Chapter 3!!!

Postby Thorn » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:40 am

[quote]I still looked downward. I wasn’t sure what to make of the situation, or how to react. This isn’t something a human mind is wired to respond to! I blinked to myself as I looked down. Nope, that wasn’t there. And those weren’t there before.

“Would you like a mirror, Miss Belen?â€
Last edited by Thorn on Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huggbees!
Thorn
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Arkain » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:07 am

Some minor grammar and punctuation issues throughout. Such as using 'women' in place of 'woman.' I suggest minor rewrites for effect, maybe pick up a thesaurus.

You know, I'm suddenly struck by the question...

If all boys with magical ability go to the Magical Girl Academy...

Do all girls with martial ability go to the Martial Boy Academy?

(I was about to chew iron when I saw the MBA bit, I was thinking there was a magical boy academy all this time and wondered why in the hell he didn't go there... then I read back to be sure and saw.)

Actually, as a further question, why does he have to become a girl to enhance his magical talents when his grandfather was noted for being a prominent mage? Did grandpa go to the MGA as well?

Another thing I'm not so keen on is this bracelet that aids with adaptation. It's too easy. Where's the fun in watching her adapt to being a girl if she doesn't suffer for it?
Really, you're cutting out a perfectly good opportunity for a lot of fun by using an easy trick. ;D

(This is just an idea, but, while the adaptive room is pretty cool, there's also the possibility of Adena personalizing her room herself, each object that goes into it could have had a story to it developed throughout the series...)

I want to hear more about this MBA. A former girl's tale might be interesting. ;D

(You'll notice I'm rarely an advocate for the easy way out... but, hey, conflict is the engine of story.)

Arkain, the Patron Saint of People Who Fight Against Being Transformed Instead of Accepting It. Canonized...right about now.
Arkain
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Thorn » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:16 am

Arkain wrote:Some minor grammar and punctuation issues throughout. Such as using 'women' in place of 'woman.' I suggest minor rewrites for effect, maybe pick up a thesaurus.

You know, I'm suddenly struck by the question...

If all boys with magical ability go to the Magical Girl Academy...

Do all girls with martial ability go to the Martial Boy Academy?

(I was about to chew iron when I saw the MBA bit, I was thinking there was a magical boy academy all this time and wondered why in the hell he didn't go there... then I read back to be sure and saw.)

Actually, as a further question, why does he have to become a girl to enhance his magical talents when his grandfather was noted for being a prominent mage? Did grandpa go to the MGA as well?

Another thing I'm not so keen on is this bracelet that aids with adaptation. It's too easy. Where's the fun in watching her adapt to being a girl if she doesn't suffer for it?
Really, you're cutting out a perfectly good opportunity for a lot of fun by using an easy trick. ;D

(This is just an idea, but, while the adaptive room is pretty cool, there's also the possibility of Adena personalizing her room herself, each object that goes into it could have had a story to it developed throughout the series...)

I want to hear more about this MBA. A former girl's tale might be interesting. ;D

(You'll notice I'm rarely an advocate for the easy way out... but, hey, conflict is the engine of story.)

well first, yush, there are indeed some females who end up going to the MBA and get musafied.

second, the MGA is more or less to help aid those with magic, his grandpap either couldnt affored it, or just didnt even need to go because he was so good at magic.

Also, dont worry about hte braclet being an easy way out. Its more or less a nagging whisper that the former boy hears. If they subconciously forget then yes, it will happen. But if you fight it one bit, you'll act yourself. Adena simply has had alotta things in over her head to even think about fighting it right now. But trust me, expect lots of that awkwardness we all know and love. :D
Huggbees!
Thorn
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Arkain » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:48 pm

Ah.

So will there be any history on why the MGA and the MBA are so gender-oriented? I'm guessing then it isn't that way because it has to be.

Arkain
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Amethyst Nighthut » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:13 pm

Arkain wrote:Ah.

So will there be any history on why the MGA and the MBA are so gender-oriented? I'm guessing then it isn't that way because it has to be.

Aside from general Anime cliche... I would assume that it's to better facilitate training and the like. Realize that learning to use magic wouldn't be the only thing they would teach, and that it would generally prove easier to have seperate campuses for it. Not to meantion any overlaps they have, the two genders wouldn't potentially start trying to see who was better at it.
Full size Avatar Thanks to Kumi for the editing of my avatar

Mistress of Water and Ice
Amethyst Nighthut
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Location: Lounging in the sea, a lake, where ever there's a large enough body of water...

Postby Arkain » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:10 pm

Possible, if somewhat flimsy. I personally suspect sexism on the part of both institutions but I'll wait for the official answer.
Last edited by Arkain on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arkain
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Taralynn » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:14 pm

I have to say, this story has been very good so far in my opinion. Thorn, you've done a good job of putting us into the shoes of the main character. You actually get attached to the guy... girl... whatever.

I'm greatly looking forward to more answers as to what the MGA is and why it's the Magical Girl Academy instead of the Magical Person Academy (besides making sure Hogwarts doesn't sue ^^)
Taralynn's Desk- home of all my TG fics... read... comment... enjoy... please comment ;_;
Taralynn
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby Thorn » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:55 pm

Well, writers block has hurt, so i'll post what i have, consider this part one of chapter 4

[quote]“Uhm…Adena? Are you in there?â€
Last edited by Thorn on Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huggbees!
Thorn
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Eri Anikemi » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:54 pm

Arkain wrote:Ah.

It's not really that it 'has to be'. More like "it's easier that way." In addition to an actual hard coded genetic predelection for girls to be better at magic, (just like boys have a greater upper body strength, girls are better at magic) the world is a) an anime cliche and b) more than a little sexist.

Tradition, practicality, and the simple fact that it's easier to teach single gender classes all lead to this. There's no prohibition against the genders meeting and mixing, but there are no boys allowed on the MGA island after lights out, and the same holds true in reverse on the MBA island.
When dreamers are criticized for their dreams, the world is lessened. When dreamers are forced from their dreams, worlds are destroyed.
Powers of darkness, become those of light, goddess fill my hand with blessed silver light!
Eri Anikemi
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby Arkain » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:03 pm

So you know, 'lacked confidence' works better without the 'much.' But I don't go into detail about thingies like that.

I'd like to get more environmental details, I like being able to visualize the rooms better, but it's not important.

Innnteresting, she's got some form of magical MPD... ;D

And this reminds me to think of some questions... laaazy.

I actually have no complaints about this episode! Yay!

Arkain
MSFer
MSFer

Part 2 of Chapter 4!!!!

Postby Thorn » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:51 pm

Woo! I got my muse and damn it feels good!!!

[quote]“Actually, no, we are a rare case Aine.â€
Last edited by Thorn on Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huggbees!
Thorn
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Thorn » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:01 pm

Oh also, pip wins the awsome contest.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/Th ... gGirls.jpg
Huggbees!
Thorn
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Arkain » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:20 am

Yay, hazing!

Boo! Fukus! *hiss*

Magic element? An explanation woulda been nice. ;D

I liked this'n.

Arkain
MSFer
MSFer

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Corner