Round robin story #1 - Commentary

Stories~! Art~! CREATIVITY~! Anything the creative juices in your brain might happen to create is welcome here~!

Moderator: Raleigh

RED-PEN--SLASHU!

Postby zalabar » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:31 am

I'll take a quick whack at it...

WARNING; THE FOLLOWING WAS ANALYZED EARLY IN THE MORNING. FRIENDLY MODE IS NOT AVAILABLE. I REPEAT; THIS POST WILL HAVE NO SUGAR COATING. Reader discression is advised.

Alex turn from the mirror and closed his eyes. This could not be real everything that had happen in this house was wrong. He opened his eyes and turned back to the mirror. This time it was him as he was in the reflection. He was once again holding the dress in front of himself and the reflection was the same.

Turn; infinative form of the verb; Used solely to annoy English Teachers, and confound Spell Checkers. Icky.
Happen; Ditto.
Opened; Past tense, gives the reader a vauge temporal frame to the piece.
Was; Ditto, but a being verb.
Recommendations; Rewrite using past tense verbs; Turned instead of Turn, for instance, and replace all instances of "was" with actions.
Note; Comma usage is poor. Read paragraph aloud. Recall where you naturally take pauses. Import pauses into piece through proper notations. Short pause; comma. Longer pause; Period. Dramatic pause; Dash (--). Also note, there is no seperation between what appears to be Alex's thought and his action. Either provide a hint that thoughts are ricocheting in that head o' his, or make it seem like he's dealing with an unreal sitation through his actions.

Continuity; Turning away from the mirror and trying to deal with the unreality of it all implies a range of specific motions, none of which leave one's hands at their shoulders. So, why are they there?

He was about to breath a sigh of relief when the dress started to melt onto him. The suit he was wearing melted away as the dress replaces it. Now both he and his reflection where in a dress that was too small for them, but it didn’t rip.

Verb Tense; When are the actions occuring? Now or then? The suit melted away, but the dress replaces it? Everything was like it before? Again, recommendation that you replace present tense verbs with past ones, and gut every instance of WAS in the piece, replacing them with actions. And if you do make it all past, you're not allowed to use "Now" ever.

No the dress didn’t rip and it didn’t feel at all tight. His eyes grew slightly bigger, his nose was smaller, and the face lost its ruggedness. His hair grew to the exact length the reflection had shown before. His shoulders once broad were now…… His hand that were holding the dress in front of him and now were crossed over his chest became smaller the fingers longer. His waist became thin, but his hips widen.

Spliting this one up because I started with the part Coru had dropped...

You begin this paragraph by speaking to the reader. Very bad form. The change is a dramatic, rapid part; how would you feel if a show litterally paused so the narrator could fill in some flavor text? It's almost like droping an ad into the middle of a scene.

"His shoulders once broad were now..." Doesn't make a lick of sense. Say it aloud. Add in the pauses, and finish the idea!

His, his, his... give us some discription! His hands could become; soft, strong hands; His shoulders could be; square, powerful shoulders; etc.

The hair on his now naked legs retracted as the legs themselves became thinner and smoother in appearance. His now bare feet too shank becoming dainty and perfect for the new center of balance he knew was coming. Thy came his chest swelled into to perfect breast, and although he couldn’t he knew his best friend was gone too. He was a woman now but a bit older then the girl who had been reflected before.

Right off the bat, we've got temporial issues. "Now" implies present, but you use the past tense of retract, so you're jerking the viewer through the space time continuim. And that's just plain bad. YA CANNAE DOO THAHT TA REALITY, CAP'N! SHE JUS CANNAE TACK IT!

Shank is to stab someone with a small, easily concealable blade. Shrank is what you probably want.

Why would he know it was coming? Has there been any indication that he was expecting a change?

"Thy came his chest." Then? "Perfect breast" He's only got one big one? What makes it perfect? Why doesn't he know li'l Alex has moved to Mexico and opened a fishery? DETAILS MAN! Um... ROBot? Android? LIO! DETAILS!

Moving along; lots and LOTS of being verbs. She was this, He was that. If X acts upon Y (the dress shaped her) there's just a lot more vitality to the scene than if Y is acted upon by X (she was shaped by the dress.) PASSIVE TENSE IS YOUR ENEMY! AND WHAT DO WE DO TO PROSE-SPAWNED ENEMIES? Well, we rewrite 'em but that's analagous to DESTROYING THEM!

That said, because it's early in the morning for me, and I can claim sleepy irratablity, I prefer Jamie's method of subtle sensory input. Not only can we do a LOT with that, from building up Alex's character to giving the house itself a character, but it could actually provide a major plot hook.

To be blunt, Lio, this piece feels like he tripped a trap. Which isn't all bad, but it's cliche and formulaic. And based on what I've seen, you can do a lot better.

Beyond that, there's this strange little issue of working with the last author's piece, and this is as good a time to use that as any... right now, we've got a jittery, jumpy piece, folks. Most of what'd fix that is practice, but if you keep in mind what the d00d before ya did, and work with that instead of against it, the piece will mesh that much more and be a better story for the effort.
zalabar
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby Lioconvoy » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:08 pm

*shakes head* Not really, the last Transfromation seen I wrote Jei was going over with a fine tooth comb every step of the way.
The White Lion, still the same since May 20, 2003
Lioconvoy
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Princess Jaimie » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:55 pm

I, too, prefer the subtle method to the direct approach. Now, I'm not criticizing you, Lio, in that you chose to take the direct approach; I'm saying that it will probably be more interesting and enjoyable if everyone gets the opportunity to contribute their own ideas to what will happen to Alex. Despite what Coruscate and I wrote...it's not guaranteed that Alex will be transformed yet, so let's work with that.
Oh, my! *hand to mouth*

Wanna complain about something? Bring it up with me, I don't mind. My AIM name is Herald Guardian.
Princess Jaimie
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Coruscate » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:11 pm

Alright, I was going to say this last night before you cooked up your draft, but it's like this. This is a transformation themed place. So when you asked me if I wanted to do the TF, or if there's any rush to get to it... that's kind of like boxing fans asking if they want to see the part where people get slugged. Or race car fans if they want to see cars. Transformations, for some people, are the Money $hot of the story. Pardon my bluntness, but that's the way it is. For me there's no rush to get to it. If you want to write one, go ahead, it's up to you. The story isn't necessarily about transformation, and there's no real reason he has be transformed, stay transformed or that he may not even be transformed several times before the story is over.

(pardon rough English, this is a fast rant while I'm multi-tasking)
"god knows I don't go through life trying to be normal. Peculiar suits me just fine."
-Xia

Deviant Art
Coruscate
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Lio » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:37 pm

That's why I posted this here, Intread of in the story. I'm probably going to let someone else go. ^^;
Lio

Postby Coruscate » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:18 pm

You don't need to be shy about it, if you would like to take a shot at it, then go. I'm not controlling the story. The direction is lead by the collective of writers*, not me.

*My, my, my... that sounds so... eeeeeeeeeeevil!

Yes! Collective Of Writers! This story is directed by C.O.W.!

Moooooooooooooo! <-- ominous bovine sounds
"god knows I don't go through life trying to be normal. Peculiar suits me just fine."
-Xia

Deviant Art
Coruscate
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Coruscate » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:49 pm

Hey all... Jamie and I have been holding back... please, if you feel like contributing, please go ahead and do so.
-Xia

Deviant Art
Coruscate
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Janitor » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:43 pm

Torn card numbah 1

Description: A man sits on a throne with four ram heads at the corners. He wears a golden crown on his head and in his right hand is a golden cross. The Emperor stands for masculinity, for logic, reason and authority. For left brain activity as opposed to right brain feminine creativity and intuition. Ruled by Mars, he is extroverted and fiery but these qualities are tempered by stability, foundation and firm structure.

Positive Meaning: A positive Emperor stands for structure and power, worldly achievement and the competitive drive it takes to make a mark in the world. He can also stand for authority in some form, whether business or government. Or for a father, or someone who plays that role in your life. Whatever form of authority he stands for, the Emperor wants to be boss.

Negative Meaning (reversed): Other people seem to be in control of your life, not you. If you are in a position of authority, you are about to lose some or all of it. You feel drained, threatened and vulnerable. The Emperor can also indicate someone who is out of touch with their masculine side and be lacking in ambition, or dominated by a parent. In relationships, a negative Emperor is often a cold calculating person who is using you for their own ends.

Torn card numbah 2

Description: A man stands at a table holding a magical wand. The figure eight symbol of eternity floats over his head and on the table are a cup, pentacle disc, sword and wand representing the suits of the Minor Arcana. The Magician is an adept in the mysteries and occult. He has studed long and hard and reached the pinnacle of priesthood, a master of magical knowledge and healing.

Positive Meaning: The Magician urges you to initiate projects and take practical, self-disciplined action to achieve goals. You may also find yourself in a teaching role or developing an interest in languages, writing, public speaking or psychotherapy when this card is positive. This card can also indicate an agent or entrepreneur.

Negative Meaning (reversed): A negative Magician often means you are dithering and procrastinating, unable to make a choice or decision about something. You may feel lacking in inspiration or energy, unable to complete projects or see things through to their conclusion.
Janitor
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Postby Princess Jaimie » Sun May 02, 2004 9:15 pm

Just posting to make sure this doesn't get deleted.

I'll give the actual story a day or two longer before posting.
Oh, my! *hand to mouth*

Wanna complain about something? Bring it up with me, I don't mind. My AIM name is Herald Guardian.
Princess Jaimie
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Coruscate » Sun May 02, 2004 9:18 pm

It's in the archive forum now if I'm not mistaken. Can people reply there? or should we just move it back now and maybe make a "junk" post to keep it alive until the cleaning is done? Since you're mod, you can remove the junk post after the cleaning and or after someone updates it for real.
-Xia

Deviant Art
Coruscate
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Momoko » Mon May 03, 2004 3:50 pm

Well, read over some of the Round-Robin storyline here, and posted an entry on own. Steph hopes entry help rekindle some ideas or just have some discussion on how to go along.

Steph hasn't written, story-wise, in a long while, and usually writes in script format, but hopefully did well on first shot.
Slacking off on spreading pinkness since...?
Momoko
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Coruscate » Mon May 03, 2004 5:53 pm

It was good Stephanie, don't worry.
-Xia

Deviant Art
Coruscate
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Sophia Anieri » Sat May 15, 2004 1:19 pm

One thing I neglected to add in my recent post -- Alex might have gotten paint on him as he painted the door, which might leave him with the need to change. Just a thought, which others are free to follow up on or not as desired.
Tell me, for what price would you give up hope?
Would you follow the will o' the wisp of the brightest morning star?
How far?
Sophia Anieri
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Coruscate » Sun May 16, 2004 12:39 am

Good stuff ED & FF. Not much else to say. Let's see who contributes next...
-Xia

Deviant Art
Coruscate
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Princess Jaimie » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:00 am

I'm guessing people just forgot about this for whatever reason. I had to go rescue it from the archives...let's try to post in it a bit more often than once a month or so.
Oh, my! *hand to mouth*

Princess Jaimie
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Corner