Ovalisk Breed/Evolution List

Stories~! Art~! CREATIVITY~! Anything the creative juices in your brain might happen to create is welcome here~!

Moderator: Raleigh

Ovalisk Breed/Evolution List

Postby Ninian » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:07 pm

I'm doing this mostly as a writing exercise, to get me back in the mood to write stuff. You can ignore this or take interest, up to you. To clarify, an Ovalisk Breed are differing genetic patterns that create diversity in a colony and aren't a proper evolution. Unlike with other higher animals, Ovalisk Breeds are -not- set in stone. It's possible under the right conditions for an Ovalisk to change their Breed. Evolutions however are a different matter. It's rare one can outright ask for an Evolution. They tend to occur naturally as a result of the growth of an individual. All Ovalisks start at the very base form of evolution: Hatchlings.

If anyone needs information on what Ovalisks even are, I have a post in the General Discussion forum going into detail.

Breeds

Defaultalisk - This name resulted of a silly joke that got around colonies. Essentially, if an Ovalisk isn't of a special breed they're considered "Defaultalisks".

Semalisk - This is an uncommon breed, and it stands sort of on the line between what's considered a "Breed" and an "Evolution", as they both occur naturally yet are crucial to a colony's reproductive cycle. What are they? Males. Male Ovalisks are Semalisks. Before anyone gets too hopeful, they almost -never- come out of a fresh transformation into a Hatchling. Almost 90% of Semalisks in Colonies are female Ovalisks who wished to continue their development as males and had petitioned the Tiresians to make it so. Ovalisks tightly control their population and numbers, and the more Ovalisks living in an area the fewer Semalisks are allowed to be around. When their population is far below the target, you see more Semalisks. They're named for the guy who made Semagic, the Livejournal program. Definitely. Yeah... I think they bought it.

Kemonolisk - FURRIES! Or... specifically... KEMONO! Wait, what's this? These are Ovalisks that are often born from animals who took on too many "human" traits and became susceptible to the Ovalisk hormone. If you see Ovalisks that share small animals traits (such as Kate Icing's mother who is an Inu girl) or full "anthro" a look, they were probably animals or people who fancied them highly. Their name stems from "Kemono" which is a Japanese anthro movement and art style that has animal people doing perfectly normal or human things. In Kemono, it's rare that they make a big deal out of their animalistic traits (such as in the Breath of Fire game series). In other words, what western Furries could be if they pulled their heads out of the ground. But I digress.

Naturalisk - Since the May Evolution, it's been harder to recognize these as Ovalisk hormone is now completely painless. But back when it wasn't, it was Humans who willingly gave themselves up and were subjected to a much less painful transformation that erased almost all hope of recovery. Now the only distinctions is that they have a harder time reaching the Old Life than many. Sometimes the memories of their Old Life is outright erased and never able to be recovered, though connections and feelings and... umm... love is completely untouched.

Evolutions

Egg - Man, what is there to SAY? They're friggin' eggs. Instead I'll describe where eggs are in a colony -- they're in honeycombed rooms in a place called the Hatchery where the mother or father of each egg keeps it warm, in total privacy. While their presence isn't crucial to the actual warming, it's generally accepted they be there to help with the hatching process or to monitor the egg's vital signs so to minimize risk of a prenatal fatality.

|
v

Whelp - Just freshly hatched Ovalisks. They're a bit icky to touch, and they're about the size of toddlers. They can walk on their own, but prefer to crawl. They don't stay in this phase terribly long, just long enough to acquiant themselves with their own concept of self.

|
v

Hatchling - All Ovalisks go through this phase in their lives. Whelps become Hatchlings after a short period, and Humans who are converted into the fold start as Hatchlings generally. Hatchlings don't look a whole lot different from Ovalisk Propers aside from seeimg a few years younger -- late preteens, early teens. Hatchlings are what we used to think of as Ovalisks, as entire generations never needed to evolve past that state. What triggers their final evolution is, incidentally, wisdom and internal maturity. This means that Hatchlings who were naturally born and raised from Whelps may take a full year or two to grow up into Propers, where converted Humans rarely take more than three or four days since their internal wordless wisdom is usually completely intact from their rebirth.

|
v

Propers - The final evolution for most Ovalisks. They have a much wider age range than Hatchlings, ranging from early teens to early adulthood (15-20 years old appearance aprx.). They spend the large majority of their lives in this state. Once a former Human becomes Proper, most Human resistance groups grudgingly acknowledge them as being lost to their cause. There are other evolutions past Propers, but it's usually closer to a mutation and almost ALWAYS lacks their transformative hormone. Usually a colony's needs determine evolutions past this. Because every colony is different, I'm only going to list evolutions that so far have been universal.

Vipers - The muscle of any colony, they stand at a frightening seven to eight feet tall and often have muscular (but still somehow cute or dainty) bodies. They favor martial arts or other martial training and have discipline untouched by their peers. For this reason, Vipers are often made trainers and often take point during Raids. Contrary to their frightening size and scary name, they're usually gentle giants. Chinese dresses are a fashion for them, so sometimes they can look like a gigantic Dead or Alive game escapee. Their touch isn't transformative.

Nins - Short range scouts that operate in any smaller scale Raid that doesn't involve helicopter surveilance. They have VERY large, feathery wings (I mean, big enough to actually support a human bulk). Their role is simple -- observe a Raid, prevent people from escaping the town limits by reporting running stragglers. There is usually about one Nina to a colony. They have no transformative hormone, it's become preening glands.

Kahiris - Blueskinned, semi-ethereal Ovalisks who commune with the spirits and are considered the gurus of a colony. They're responsible for candlelit ceremories, or helping some dig up their Old Life enough to find their old faith so they have their spiritual life intact. They have an affinity with fire. Despite their passive sounding name, they're very frequently taken on Raids -- they have the ability to pass through thin walls or doors. They're sometimes called "Bunker Killers" due to their ability to expose people who hide or lock themselves away in their homes, hoping they'd be invisible to the Raid party. A colony usually has around four of these. They lack hormone.

Tiresians - They're pretty much exactly the same as Propers, and have the hormone, except they have other abilities. One is to see and be able to speak to the ethereal Aeternalae. Another is limited psychic and empathic ability. They also organize evolutions in a colony and help peopla achieve the Breed they feel should be a part of. There is two of them per colony, and usually they're like sisters or lovers. They're the leaders of any given Colony. They're protected at all cost. All the same, they're quickly replaced even if something happens to them, though it comes at the cost of time and grief. One rarely knows the extent of their abilities. Their name stems from the Greek seer, Tiresias, who changed into a woman when he struck apart two mating serpents. For the sake of clarity, Izanami and Nozomi from Kougetsu's "Commiting Cuteicide" could be considered an example of this Evolution even though I didn't have Ovalisks anywhere NEAR this developed when it was written.
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Thorn » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:48 pm

Sounds very interesting, i never knew the ovalisk could sound like a military force o_o;

But i have a question, what are the raids usually done for?
Huggbees!
Thorn
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Ninian » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:06 pm

The Raids are done for various reasons, but it's usually to eliminate a town or gathering of Humans while simultaneously "adopting" them into their number. Suburbs are in the greatest danger, closely followed by outright rural communities.
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Beyond » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:12 pm

the family is too big for me.
Randomness: Because coherency is overrated.
Beyond
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Ninian » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:18 pm

Mr. Eyebrows, if you think this is byzantine you shoulda seen the pea soup that was the Aeternalae when I tried to figure them out
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Chris Thorn » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:11 pm

At this stage it looks good.. uh, professionally done.

*covers Beyond's mouth* Don't ask
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend." Anon

nee Chris C. Thorndyke
Chris Thorn
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Miyukicl » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:09 pm

This fit in a Starcraf Civ ^_^ nice!!!!!!!!!
Miyukicl
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Sakraida82 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:40 pm

Now we need to just make it all clumped together for easy to get access. Any sites? *Blinks*
I'm a Fairy
Sakraida82
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Return to Creative Corner