Create a character Contest

Stories~! Art~! CREATIVITY~! Anything the creative juices in your brain might happen to create is welcome here~!

Moderator: Raleigh

Create a character Contest

Postby Raleigh » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:18 am

Alright, I think I have something that should be fun for everyone. For the next six months, ending on June 20th, I will have an open contest going on. In that time I ask those of you inclined toward the more artistic pursuits to create a character and share a bit about it. This character doesn't have to be for an rp or to fit in with any set rules really. I just want to see what everyone can come up with. Those who can draw please do add a small bit after the pic to tell us a bit of the personality of the character, those who can make a caption that can tell us a bit about the character as well as depict it also please go ahead. Those who write I also invite you to create some paragraph or something akin to a character sheet to tell us about them and describe their appearance. Feel free to get as detailed as you want in any of the styles. Extra points for those who might create a world or setting to match the new character as well.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
Raleigh
Senpai
Senpai

Re: Create a character Contest

Postby danio13 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:33 pm

can I post OCs I have make but have never shown here?
danio13
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Postby Bigmouthstrikes » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:27 pm

Any character? Not just a TF oriented one? Because I have a whole world full of characters that I'd like to start writing, and this may just be the prompt that could finally get me to do it.
My DevaintART Account - Here there be writings
Bigmouthstrikes
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Raleigh » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:01 am

Sorry for my delay in responding. Yes, any characters. In fact I prefer you to create OC's as that is sort of the point of this whole thing. They do not have to be TF oriented in this case either. I know that is the central theme of the place but I think every once in awhile a chance to stretch those creative muscles is a good idea. Do whatever you want to make up for this.

Please though, let me know if you make one so I can check it over for the sake of the contest. Perhaps post under this or point out in your post its for the contest or something please.
Raleigh
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Bigmouthstrikes » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:23 pm

So...after months of dragging my feet (years, some may even say); here is my entry into this contest. Take a deep breath because this is going to be a long post.

When I was a kid, playing with toys, I had my own way of doing it. All of the toys represented individual characters, that I crafted. They each had their own personalities, powers ect. and existed within a universe that had a definite continuity. Each room in my house was a nation. I made a lot of stories over this time, but most of them were kids stuff. The characters, however, were interesting enough and over the years, I've thought back to them and conceptualized a story that I will hopefully be writing sometime in the near future. My story would reboot the continuity and keep the characters. The story will, if and when it's completed, cover about 80-90 years of my world and country's history. I'll be sharing the world and few of the more important characters from it (a few of the many).

I'll start with the world.

Runus: The world of Runus is astronomically similar to Earth, yet very different in all other regards. The entire land area of the planet is conjoined in a supercontinent that is slightly smaller than Earth's land mass. But more importantly, Runus has two forces of power on it (different, though not mutually exclusive): magic and Heroicism. Magic is straitforward enough, but Heroes in Runus differ from those in other worlds. For performing exceptional deeds, some people are "blessed" either by a white energy or a black one. Nobody understands how it works, or why those who are chosen are. Those who are blessed, or "Heroes" as they are called, are ageless, can only be killed in combat and are usually blessed with some kind of unique ability. They are frequently warriors and leaders.

For centuries, it was ruled by two great kingdoms whose people were inertly blessed with magical prowess. The West was ruled by the Kimiki Empire, made up of dark skinned bloodline highly trained in military disciplined, and the East by the Unia people, a fair skinned, red haired race which focused on culture as much as combat. The two took over their respective parts of the world and all its non-magical residents until only they stood. Then, after 200 years of rule, the two kingdoms entered a devastating war between each other that culminated in the total destruction of both. The core ruling population of both sides was wiped out and the original territory of the Kimiki Empire was reduced to a vast, inhospitable desert. At the end of the war, most of the Unia and Kimiki people had been killed, and those surviving reduced to wandering tribes while the rest of the non-magical population was left to rebuild their own nations from the ruins. Dozens of new nations sprang up as each former country gained independence, and technology grew to replace the magic that had dominated it in the past. Magic still existed, but confined to the surviving Unia and Kimiki people who inherited it and those talented enough to learn it the hard way. Guns replaced spells. Airships and automobiles replaced the many creatures that had been domesticated for their purposes. A divide was created between the old world of magic and the new world of technology.

By the time the story proper starts, there are more than 25 nations, and the peak technology is comparable to that which had emerged around the First World War. The nation the story follows is Illia, an economic powerhouse that has, for the most part, stayed out of world affairs. Illia is ruled by a monarchy that seized power during the chaos that followed the Magic War. Under its latest king, the country has grown increasingly dictatorial, clamping down on protest, free speech and other forms of expression deemed dangerous by the crown. It has also begun to move into the world arena, involving itself in a war to take over a major trade area that has expanded to include most major powers. The war has been brutal, costly, and has drawn to a standstill. The story follows Illia's history to this point.

Antagonists

King Marcus Theod
Heigh: 5'10
Hair: Medium, slicked back black hair
Build: Thin, but fit
Bio: When his father died, progressive, book smart Marcus ascended the throne over his older brother. Initially vowing to continue the Democratic, economically liberal position of his father, Marcus ascends with ambitious plans to bolster the economy and change the predominantly agrarian Illia into an industrial force. When the Senate blocks his plans and he becomes increasingly frustrated with his ability to rule, Marcus dissolves the Senate and slowly spirals into authoritarian dictation of his people. Though he hold lofty ideals of fairness, equality and prosperity, the means by which he enacts them become increasingly brutal over time. His nation prospers economically, it is highly oppressed causing a great deal of unrest. He initially sticks to an isolationist policy, he involves himself in a worldwide conflict on behalf of the aggressors when an emerging Democratic power jumps into the fray.
Hero Ability: Becoming a hero upon ascending the throne, Marcus has a mystical weapon dedicated to him. In his case, it is a hammer endowed with a number of abilities.

Sidney Van Dyke
Height: 6'4
Hair: Long with a salt and pepper color
Build: Tall, broad and muscular
Bio: Sid Van Dyke was a commando for the King's Protection Force, a group comprised of the nation's Heroes. While the old king was on his deathbed, Van Dyke maneuvered his way through the ranks and became a fervent political supporter of Marcus over his brother in the ascension debates. Gaining Marcus's trust, Van Dyke is promoted to the commander's position upon Marcus's crowning. He remained a highly influential adviser to the King and was a major factor in his move away from democracy. When Marcus entered the war, Van Dyke was kept on the homefront and charged with hunting down resistance organizers and defecting military personnel
Hero Ability: Van Dyke possesses the ability to absorb the powers of any Heroes he fells. Over his years of service, he has gathered a large collection.

Thelonius Wolfe
Height: 6'3
Build: Broad. Slightly pudgy
Hair: Black and slicked. Wears a mustache
Bio: Growing up in extreme poverty, Wolfe was a gangster in the unruly southern province. He rose to power by uniting smaller gangs and eventually used it to consolidate all crime into one syndicate, killing or buying out his competition. From there, he seized more legitimate businesses and made himself one of the richest citizens of Illia. Respecting a strong ruler, Wolfe gave tacit support for the King. As the resistance gained strength, however, his faith wavered. Wolfe remains a wild card; his true affiliations unknown as he, at times, seems to support both sides.
Hero Ability: Though Wolfe became a Hero, it is unknown what special ability he possesses. Few have seen it used and those who have all appear to be dead.

Protagonists:

This is a list of the major good guys in my story, at least at the start. Many will come and go as the story progresses across Illia's history. The initial story will mostly switch between these people, examining how the events unfolding effect their lives and the places they take in their nation's history.

Lawrence Leone:
Height: 5'9
Hair: Medium length, parted and blond
Build: Slim. Athletic, but not overly muscular.
Bio: Lawrence, or Larry as he prefers to be called, is a humble accountant for the Department of Economic Development at the start of the story. Though lacking political ambition, he is extremely intelligent and compassionate. His plans for growth and social equality have made him a rising star in the department. His father, however, is a famed army general and war hero. When the crown accuses him of being a conspirator in a plot to oust the King, he is executed and his family, including Larry, are interned in a forced labor camp. From here Larry leads an escape that catches the attention of a resistance movement. Larry soon finds himself the common thread between a civilian resistance and the disgruntled elements of the military, as well as the leader of the movement and nation.

Felicia Shepherd
Height: 5'6
Hair: Long black and curly
Build: Slender and long legged
Bio: Felicia was the daughter of a popular Illian Senator prior to the dissolution and execution of the Senate by King Marcus. When the police came for her family, Felicia alone escaped. She adopted a false identity and began living a secret life, constantly on the lookout. Though she is eventually captured, she befriends Larry during their internment and eventually helps plan and execute the inmate escape. A former teacher, Felicia is kind, smart and diplomatic. Her personal charm helps her assist Larry in binding the various factions through Illia into a more cohesive movement.

Terrance Buchanan
Height: 6'0
Build: Broad shouldered, athletic
Hair: Dark, short and slicked back
Bio: The wealthy son of a business magnate, Terrance was born into a family financially supportive of King Marcus. When his father dies and he inherits the company, Terrance begins to develop his own relationship to the King. Torn between his loyalty to the ideals of the King and his brutal means of enacting them, he undergoes a great deal of soul searching to find a way to contribute to his country. Despite his aloof nature, Terrance is a shrewd businessman and skillful political actor.

Bucky Norman
Height: 6'2
Hair: Brown, Medium length and messy
Build: Lean, muscular
Bio: Bucky was a steel worker in the industrialized western area of Illia. Because conditions in his plant were poor, and pay equally so, Bucky and his fellow workers organized a strike. Angered by his production base being shut down in the middle of the war, Marcus orders the strike violently put down. Bucky and 4 of his friends escape the slaughter and go on the run. Bucky is strong, even headed and quick thinking, though hardly savvy in regards to interpersonal relationships. Not being an academically minded person, Bucky becomes a foot soldier against Marcus's rule.
My DevaintART Account - Here there be writings
Bigmouthstrikes
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Raleigh » Wed May 04, 2011 1:19 pm

Impressive Bigmouthstrikes. You will be getting those extra points for a world setting on a few extra for making more than just one character. I'm hoping to see some more entries for this before June. I'll probably even crank out one myself though I won't be a part of the contest.
Raleigh
Senpai
Senpai

Postby danio13 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:35 am

Galixia
Birthday: January 1st (year of birth unknown)
Species: Star Nymph
Likes: granting wishes, seeing the smiles of people, having crimes justified, chocolate chip ice cream with rainbow sprinkles, making friends, having fun
Dislikes: Jerks, being cheated or tricked, wanton violence, complete darkness
Personality: friendly and generous, always glad to help, never known to be upset (of course know one ALIVE have seen her upset)
Short Profile: Born from a red star, she travels to many worlds and dimensions, granting wishes along the way to those she see fit.
Fact about Her: Once, she was a caretaker to a star nymph, but said star nymph suffered a horrible fate, which saddens Galixia to this day.
Skill: Cosmic Magic gained from wish granting, able to shoot star projectiles thanks to certain wristband.

Stellanova
Birthday: May 10th
Species: Star Nymph (converted)
Likes: Video games and its music, beauty (inner beauty especially), traveling to new worlds
Dislikes: Jerks and thieves, working, violence, seeing someone getting hurt.
Personality: graceful, not afraid to get rough, like to please people
Short Profile: Previously a Male human, Galixia converted him, now her, to join her race. So far she has enjoyed her new life, especially since she is able to visit worlds of her favorite video games and anime.
Fact About Her: She happens to have a very grand collection of video games when she was still a human.
Skill: Cosmic Magic gained from wish granting

Neroli Marmalande
Age: 18 (years she was alive, looked the same throughout)
Birthday: June 5th
Species: Slime Girl
Likes: Really likes magical girl anime, Lady Gaga (...well no ones perfect), pop music, her father (the person that created her)
Dislikes: People that gets between her anime (seriously she doesn't like that), The men that took her father, vegetables,
Personality: naive, kind, curious, brave.
Short Profile: Unintentionally born from one of Clem Setrus' experiments, she lived with her pseudo-father happily until men from a shady syndicate kidnapped him. Neroli was forced into hiding, in the guise of a human. Now she tries to live a normal life and search for her father.
Fact about Her: Did I mention she like magical girl anime.....a LOT?
Skill: Morph from slime girl to human, Make makeshift weapons from slime,

Wynra
Birthday: October 28th
Species: Dragon/Dragon Girl
Likes: Being in high places, flying (of course), cotton candy, fashion
Dislikes: Rain (gets her wings and hair wet), thunderstorms, violence
Personality: caring, curious, careful, humble
Short Profile: A boy, named Len bought a weird jeweled egg online, which turned out to be a special dragon egg. When it hatched into a cute baby dragon, Len took care of it until it grew up. Eventually, in its sleep, the dragon transformed into the dragon-girl Wynra. Soon afterwards, she politely left her master's home to explore the world.
Fact about her: Despite only living in Len's house in her early life, she somehow already has a clear idea on how the world works, completely avoiding any "fish-out-of-water" scenerio.
Skill: Wind manipulation, Ice breath and other kinds of breaths (except bad ones)

Jerry
Birthday: March 21st
Species: Human
Dislikes: hangovers and soap operas
Personality: a bit needy, optimistic, easy-going,
Short Profile: Jerry was about to give up in life being alone and unwanted. All that change however when he met Falina. Although they are not without their problems (especially when Falina is a catgirl), Jerry would never choose any other girl than Falina.
Fact about him: He had some adventures before he met Falina....as a intern in a newspaper company.
Skill: He can play a mean harmonica

Falina
Birthday: April 5th
Species: Catgirl
Likes: Fish with cheese, Her boyfriend, playing around with said boyfriend
Dislikes: Getting wet, getting made fun of, being alone
Personality: curious, easy-going, kind, never likes to argue
Short Profile: Most of her past is a mystery, but what is know is that she was born a cat during an eclipse. Although, she only reveals her cat-girl form to those she likes, namely Jerry. Although their relationship is not perfect, Falina can never get enough of her "sweet Jerry". She often does poem commissions online.
Fact about her: Many cats like to visit her, to much of Jerry dismay (and jealousy)
Skill: Can shift from cat-girl to cat (but doesn't like to do it much)

Tawnia and Gediva (There is a reason I am making a shared profile for them)
Birthday: Unknown
Species: Human
Likes: TGing people, reading TG comics, banning jerks in YouTube.
Dislike: Overused Internet Memes, talking about their past.
Personality: Both are a bit too perky and very crafty. Tawnia is more mature however
Short Profile: Their past is completely unknown. They once mentioned a "Clade sydnicate". They are now TG mercenaries who likes to Tg people for money, and are now in the employ of a "Mr Danio"
Fact about them: For twins, they sometimes act like they are the same person (hint hint)
Skill: Making TG arsenals. It is unknown how they do it.

Noireta
Birthday: January 1st
Species: Former Star Nymph
Dislikes: Galixia and all star nymphs
Personality: Vengeful, Mean, abandoned, does anything to get what she wants
Short Profile: She was born from a dying star and was bout to die out herself if not for Galixia. She cared for Noireta and two became close as sisters. Unfortunately, she got sucked into a black hole. She manage to survive in the black hole but felt abandoned, asking herself why Galixia didn't save her. The madness from the heartache drove her to the brink, labeling all Star nymphs as pompous and admire only themselves. After a few years (a hundred years actually) She manage to break out of the hole and also gain the ability to create black holes. She now plans to destroy all star nymphs.
Fact about her: She seems to already have a partner in her nasty deeds...a hyperactive Ovalisk
Another fact (yes 2 facts, get over it): Despite having hatred to all star nymphs, she secretly wish things would be like before.... )
danio13
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Postby Raleigh » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:46 pm

Danio13, I like your characters there. I would particularly love to see more about Neroli, Wynra, and the twins as those stand out the most intriguing to me. The Star Nymphs collectively could also be a very interesting story on quite a few levels.

So it looks like Danio13 and Bigmouthstrikes were the only two to turn in anything. Danio13 you did good but I have to give the wind to Bigmouthstrikes due to the world setting they also generated to go along with their character profiles. I think you both did well but the more detailed one wins in this case.

I greatly apologize for how late I am in posting a winner and assessing what has been put up. I really do lose track of time rather often and just now realized it was already a month later.
Raleigh
Senpai
Senpai

Return to Creative Corner