[Writing] Magical Girl Policy

Stories~! Art~! CREATIVITY~! Anything the creative juices in your brain might happen to create is welcome here~!

Moderator: Raleigh

[Writing] Magical Girl Policy

Postby Taralynn » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:03 pm

I thought it was time for me to create a new thread instead of just my normal Taralynn's Desk thread.

In case you're new to the series, I started a story called Magical Girl Policy. It's a humorous series that predictably makes fun of magical girls. I just recently posted chapter 18 of it. Click here to read the prologue, here to see the entire story archive, and here to read the most recent chapter.

Several artists have donated their talents to the story. Some of them you know like Pip and Kami. Ai and Duck have also drawn for some of my other stories. I even have one artist who remains anonymous. Point is, I love art and if you'd like to do any fan art I will not turn you down!

Your thoughts are most welcome. Feedback is the lifeblood of writing so if you read it, your thoughts are GREATLY desired.

Thanks for your help and your reading,
Taralynn
Taralynn's Desk- home of all my TG fics... read... comment... enjoy... please comment ;_;
Taralynn
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Re: Magical Girl Policy

Postby Lanzerus » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:29 pm

XD wow, that is awesome, so many things that i need to say

1. So far, this story is looking freaking awesome.

2. Robynne and Eddie, i can see the future and its looking interesting.

3. Nerd shirts are ALWAYS better when you are with people that get the joke.

4. Sailor moon....XD.
Self-proclaimed, Lord and Creator of the Inactivity void.
Lanzerus
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Sailor Ganymede » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:46 am

Taralynn wrote:Out of all my chapters, this one I think was the most affected by user feedback. Originally it was only going to be one short scene but... well you see how long it was. Most of my recent stuff has been just about over half this long.

The original chapter was just going to be Robynne talking with Ray. I like using Ray as a wall for Robynne to bounce ideas and complaints off of, because he’s a guy but he doesn’t have the emotional attachment to Robynne that Cory and Eli do. Anyway, I struggled with it and eventually rewrote everything after a talk with Pip. He really helped me get back in the groove.

Then, after a talk with FoxKnight about some things, I realized I had a few loose ends left from the last chapter. The first part you read was a result of our discussion. I guess the last part with Eddie “Eruption” Rollen was kind of due to my talk with both of them. I wasn’t really going to introduce him until the chapter where they attend the Gaming Club meeting. But I think this worked a lot better.

Anyway, as you can see, I DO make changes based upon feedback. So, feel free to drop me a line and let me know how you feel about the chapters and why. Email, forum, or AIM work just fine.

Thanks a bunch!

-Taralynn Andrews

An excellent chapter as always! I have to agree with Taylor, I can see Robynne and Eddie hooking up. Also I never would've guessed that Robynne's Reading Assignment would involve Sailor Moon. Anyway great job! Keep up the great work on this story!
Sailor Ganymede
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Knight Errant » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:56 pm

I started reading it... didnt stop for awhile.

Very good. *stamps the series with his "Seal of Approval"*

I also read Crew Shift. That was quite good as well.

Someday I need to turn out my own fiction...
O Muse!
Sing in me, and through me tell the story
Of that man skilled in all the ways of contending,
A wanderer, harried for years on end...

Image Image

Click the eggs... feed the dragons.
Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Taralynn » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:31 am

Hey everybody. My newest chapter of Magical Girl Policy is up. I'm moving to a model where I write shorter chapters but get chapters up once a week. So hopefully #20 will come next week.

And for those of you who hadn't been paying attention to the general discussions forum, I completely revamped my website. Check it out and let me know what you think of both the chapter and the site. And if you're interested in the contest I'm running (fanfic/fanart of Magical Girl Policy) click here to learn the rules of the contest and the prizes.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention I also posted my first commissioned short story on the website. It's called Gamma Rho Lambda House and was commissioned by the ever so awesome Pip. I'm pretty proud of it and would be honored if you checked it out.
Taralynn's Desk- home of all my TG fics... read... comment... enjoy... please comment ;_;
Taralynn
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby Sailor Ganymede » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:20 pm

I like this chapter a lot! Please keep up the great work! This story is awesome!
Sailor Ganymede
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Taralynn » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:18 am

Heya guys. Just wanted to let you know that chapter 21 is up... I'm still having a hard time believing I actually have 21 chapters done! Whew! And three weeks straight on updates. I'm pretty proud of myself ^_^

*spoiler warnings. Don't read this until you've read the chapter*
So with Chapter 21, I worried I didn't do enough to characterize in this chapter.

The two biggest points I wanted to show were that despite Robynne's cool exterior and her willingness to put up with all this weirdness so far, she has her doubts and her worries. What teenager isn't a little insecure?

The other thing I was trying to display was Cory's and Eli's ability to play off each other and understand that the other is doing without verbal communication. They've known each other forever so they understand each other on a level most people do not. In my mind it's the reason why a lot of people find them weird because they at times are almost speaking a language all their own, almost like twins.

At any rate, I don't think I displayed those themes very well. Still, I feel it worked overall as a chapter. What are your thoughts on the subject?

*End spoilers*

I'm thinking of rearranging the each chapter into more of a manga or anime setting where there are overall episodes and individual acts within each episode. For example, Chapters 1 & 2 would become Acts 1 & 2 of episode one. Maybe I'm just setting myself up for more work than is necessary but it was just a thought I was having as far as giving it more of an anime feel. What do you all think?
Taralynn
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby AshK » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:29 pm

Taralynn wrote:And thus ends the saga of the first Gaming club meeting. I think it’s a neat little club. I wish it really did exist in my high school. But, alas, we live in reality.

At any rate, I like how it all turned out. Even if it wasn’t super plot intensive I do find the whole experience kind of fun. Even more fun to write about.

And now Katy makes her move. Tune in next week to see who she is and what her sinister plot is… feel free to wax philosophical and guess what her evil niche is. MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! But seriously, what do you think her plans for Robynne are?

That was quite an excellent chapter as always. I honestly have no idea what Katy's Plans for Robynne are. It's too hard to guess. I just liked the Chapter. Keep up the great work!
AshK
Postimus Maximus
Postimus Maximus

Postby muffinstud » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:37 pm

The character development is what makes this story what it is. Don't sell yourself short.

As for the episodic-ness, that's completely up to you. Frankly, I'm more used to reading books than watching anime, so I prefer a more literary style.

I know this is kinda delayed, but I tend to lurk when it comes to the stories.
But one thing I don't get is the Sailor Moon book. If this is a world that needs Magical Girls to protect the general populace (and I take it this high school isn't the only place in the world that would have them), why show the new recruit the ropes by giving her fiction? Wouldn't there be real life examples to draw from? All that security footage the Hush Corps gets rid of has to go somewhere, why not somewhere productive?
Unless Sailor Moon really is real...

Here's hoping for a whole lot more where this came from , cuz it's awesome. Seriously. I'm not kidding. No Joke. Some similar statement.
"Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river, when you're living...in a van down by the river!" --Matt Foley, motivational speaker
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Lanzerus » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:39 pm

so, are you only releasing updates on saturday now because school started? because during the summer you always released on thursday.

anyway, awesome chapter like always, you manage to write better then i could even hope to in anywhere in the distant future.
Self-proclaimed, Lord and Creator of the Inactivity void.
Lanzerus
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Taralynn » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:50 am

Hey everyone. Just wanted to make sure everyone knew that Chapter 22 of Magical Girl Policy has been posted.

Spoilers. Don't read unless you read the chapter already
My big worry with this chapter was having it be too much dialogue and not enough doing stuff. I'm hoping the dialogue was interesting though.

I really like Katy's character. If you ask me she's one of the better thought out characters I have.

I also love her and Angela at the end. You'll find out more about their adversarial relationship later, but feel free to formulate theories ^_~

End Spoilers
Taralynn
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby Haylie » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:58 pm

I did enjoy this chapter. I can't wait for the next one!
Zu fent wahl hin brii. Slen Ek Brit!
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Language

I haz Deviant
Haylie
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Sailor Ganymede » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:35 pm

Taralynn wrote:Now THAT was a fun chapter to write. Katy Masters turned out to be more fun than I could have expected. I’ve always loved people who can turn your arguments against you. I don’t’ have that kind of skill myself. I love people who think like foxes and are always one step ahead of you.

Some of you may be saying to yourselves, “Violet hair? I thought Katy had red hair.” The answer was she did have red hair but I decided I rather have her have violet-hair as a wrote this chapter. The older chapters now have her hair color corrected. I did it for two reasons: first, I wanted Robynne to be my only red-head to avoid confusion. Second, I wanted her to have violet-hair to contrast with Angela’s blonde hair since they have a mysterious rivalry going. Yellow and violet are opposite colors on the color wheel if you didn’t know that. XD

Well, be sure to leave a comment, drop a line, or say something in the forums! You know I love comments!

-Taralynn

Nice excellent update! Chapter is very much so worth reading. Keep up the great work! Good Going!
Sailor Ganymede
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Taralynn » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:09 am

I guess I should have posted this a while ago but I've updated my chapters twice:
This is Chapter 23 and this is Chapter 24. My worry is I'm maybe jumping the shark a little bit with these two chapters. I don't know for sure but I think they'll turn out okay.

Thanks for reading and even more thanks if you leave a comment about why you thought it did or didn't work.
Taralynn
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby Sailor Ganymede » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:49 pm

Taralynn wrote:I really struggled writing this chapter. I just couldn’t get what I felt was a coherent chapter on the screen. For some reason I just wasn’t feeling it. I loved the idea of this chapter but I just couldn’t capture the fun of it I’m afraid. Oh well, I hope you enjoyed it regardless.

I have a really hard time writing Angela because my original character design for her was quite different from how she turned out. If you’ve ever watched the anime “The Melancholy of Suziyama Haruhi” then you’ll understand what I mean when I say Haruhi was the inspiration behind Angela. At least she was supposed to be. In the end the only quality her and Haruhi share is their bossiness. It’s one of those weird twists that a writer takes as they progress in their own story.

Well, let me know what you thought and how I could improve. Lord knows this chapter needed it.
-Taralynn

I like this chapter a lot. I really can't think of anything at the moment on how you could improve it.

Taralynn wrote:Yeah, the chapter is really short and doesn’t have much plot in it. I’m sorry, but the beginning of school is really kicking my butt. I promise that next week we’ll be getting a longer chapter with more meat in it.

Really isn’t much else to comment on. Sorry for being so short today but I have my priorities. Hope you enjoyed the chapter despite it’s lack of character and plot development.

Sorry,
Taralynn

Hey don't worry about the length of your chapters! I really enjoy reading them! Keep up the great work!
Sailor Ganymede
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Next

Return to Creative Corner