[Writing] Magical Girl Policy

Stories~! Art~! CREATIVITY~! Anything the creative juices in your brain might happen to create is welcome here~!

Moderator: Raleigh

Re: Magical Girl Policy

Postby Taralynn » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:14 pm

Wow, I forgot to keep you all posted. Uh... sorry?

Today I just posted Episode 45 of Magical Girl Policy. For the record, the last one I told you all about was Episode 42, so you might not have read Episode 43 or 44. All the links have been provided.

****SPOILER ALERT! DON'T READ AHEAD IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED!****

So Episode 45 was fun even though it wasn't action heavy. I just have grown to love Noriko more and more. I especially like showing how even ninja's have a vulnerable side. I think it just goes to the idea that you feel the most vulnerable in matters of the heart. This is especially true in the teenage years. I kind of wanted to capture that feeling in my little ninja girl.

The idea of Ray's present really was hard for me. Then it popped into my head and actually gave me a great idea for something with Cassandra Dirken's backstory. While not a huge plot point, the idea of Robynne's mother being a poet will come back later.

The thing I have the hardest time with is the large gaps between action. I know action isn't the be-all, end-all of the story, it is supposed to have action. But my character development doesn't go along very well with action. Some series and stories can do it well but I can't. I wish I was better with it though.

****END SPOILERS****

Please post your comments and let me know of any thoughts you had. I love feedback. Thanks!
Taralynn's Desk- home of all my TG fics... read... comment... enjoy... please comment ;_;
Taralynn
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Re: [Writing] Magical Girl Policy

Postby Taralynn » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:26 am

So need your input on whether or not it would be useful for me to put a running list of all the episodes of MGP with links to the various chapters at the front of this thread. So... uh... let me know!

All right. Got Episode 46: A Hair Raising Battle! Snippette Squares Off with Serenity and the Spirit Guard! written up. I even posted it! Isn't that fun!? It is time for the part where I say things that bothered me, I enjoyed, or had difficulty with while writing this episode.

***SPOILERS AHEAD! READ EPISODE 46 BEFORE PRECEDING***

Okay, the hardest thing for me with combat is to keep the combat flowing. I don't remember what it's from, but I remember somewhere from some show talking about you must move with purpose in a battle. I try to make sure that each movement has a purpose, moves the battle forward. I try not to put fluff action in. When Robynne strikes, it's because she has a plan or she's trying to test the opponent.

Fights are also really difficult given their technical nature. To watch a fight is simple. To write it is very difficult. The biggest problem is it's hard to capture the split-second movements that involve it. If you get too technical you end up with a really long sentence for something that is supposed to happen quickly. I had a teacher once who said he hated the word suddenly. The example he gave was this:

"Which sentence conveys suddenness better: 'He stopped suddenly.' or 'He stopped.'?" It was one of those eye-openning moments for me as a writer. He was showing me how less can be more. Sentences should convey the emotion or thought that is behind them. That's why in fights, where quick decisions are being made, you see a flurry of shorter sentences from me. I want the sentences to be as quick as Spirit Guard Serenity.

This fight actually has changed a lot. Snippette was always going to fight with her hair to hold off a couple of girls while she focused on one with her scissors, but the idea for her to start using braids to walk around a-la Dr. Octopus didn't come until the moment I wrote the line. It just hit me for some reason. I love how it works.

I also liked having the girls use their super-moves and have them not work. I like forcing them to think their way through the problems. I mean, it's pretty hard to have an interesting fight if they can just jump in, say "Magical Overpowered Beam of Victory!", blow the monster up, and then leave to have sodas or something.

***END SODAS... I mean SPOILERS***

So... what are your thoughts?
Taralynn's Desk- home of all my TG fics... read... comment... enjoy... please comment ;_;
Taralynn
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Previous

Return to Creative Corner