[Writing] Queen Octavia's Lair

Stories~! Art~! CREATIVITY~! Anything the creative juices in your brain might happen to create is welcome here~!

Moderator: Raleigh

Re: Uberlurker's Burrow

Postby Queen Octavia » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:37 pm

Heh, thanks, you shouldn't have to wait long between updates since they're all cute and tiny and I'm steamrollin' through this story. I am rather fond of the story myself, while not as good as some of the other things I have written it is my fourth stab at fanfiction and a considerable improvement for me in that "genre". Thanks for the continued encouragement, it's always nice. I did an update and there'll be one more before I go to bed.

PS - My other fanfictions were stargate, stargate/hitchhikerguide & .hack//sign. No MSFy stuff in them though. The crossover one was pretty hilarious though, if your a fan of the sort of humor found in the Guide.
Queen Octavia
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby AshK » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:44 pm

You are a better writer than I am. Great work as always!
AshK
Postimus Maximus
Postimus Maximus

Postby Queen Octavia » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:28 pm

Thanks for the glowing praise, but never underestimate your own skill! My writing is usually hit or miss, I have really want to tell a story for it to work out. If I try and write a story I have no passion for...it really fizzles.

I should probably start proofreading my work before calling it an update, there are definately lots of silly mistakes I could catch (Especially in the ones I write before going to bed, like this latest installment). However, the satisfaction of putting what I have up is too great to resist :D . With every chapter I'm drawing nearer and nearer to the conclusion...which I really want to write! I thought of doing the conclusion ahead of time, but decided I wouldn't let myself until I got there. The wait is killing me :? .
Queen Octavia
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Lanzerus » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:51 pm

you are truly awesome when it comes to writing you try and say you have no real skill but i must say, you are letting your inner critic win over your normal ideas, Really my writing is horrible when i thing of it compared yo yours because whell you seem to be able to portray thoughts that normally are hidden, i am in currently writing my story "What Happens After Dark" and i must say, even with the main character having TWO people in his head, i still can't adequately portray the thoughts going on.

But i still have to say, throughly your writing is amazingly awesome.
Self-proclaimed, Lord and Creator of the Inactivity void.
Lanzerus
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Queen Octavia » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:12 pm

Thanks alot for the compliments...today was a really rough day for me in terms of girl problems and </3. While my inner muse has temporarily left me, I shall endeavor to do my best without her. Oh yea, I just realized the next chapter was semi-romantic...thats not gonna work. *Sigh...*, *Goes and eats some steak, the manly comfort food*
Queen Octavia
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Lanzerus » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:17 pm

i really don't know what to say when it comes to issue of the <3 but anyway i hope it gets better for you soon.
Lanzerus
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Queen Octavia » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:39 pm

I resisted the urge to just kill all my main characters off and wrote the chapter as I had planned it. Following chapter will be teh zappy. I'll write it before bed, sleeping now.
Queen Octavia
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Lanzerus » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:56 pm

aw thats awesome even when you were feeling un<3-ly you still managed to make a wonderful addition to the story. I see major promise in this one, better than my idea :lol: thats for sure.
Lanzerus
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Queen Octavia » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:51 pm

Yarr, thanks for the continued enthusiasm. 8)

I'm trying to keep chapters almost as short as possible, to keep the story nice and trim and highly concertated goodness, but I think I may be going too far :( . I believe that when I go over some of the more recent chapters they'll be slightly expanded, prolly just a bunch of useless narrative fluff thrown in. Hopefully it will make the tale more immersive. We'll see :? . In the meantime though, the end approaches quickly. :o

And of course, I added another chapter to the tale (#18). I almost feel like navi all of a sudden... :?

"Hey, listen!" :!:

"Hello?" :?:

"Hey, listen!" :x

If she showed up in my story she would get bottled in a jiffy :P . Ah, sweet sweet soundproof bottles. :mrgreen:
Queen Octavia
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Queen Octavia » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Hey look I found my old thread! Aww, it still feels like home. Uck - someone forgot to take out the garbage. Better take care of that now.

Anyways, I updated A Walk In The Park, which is an old story some of you might remember (prolly not).

I only added just over 1500 words to it, and I'm not done yet and am still working later, so you could just wait and read it later after I finish it and give it an edit.

Or if you're starved for stories, read it now. And comment? Yes, yes?

This one's not my strongest effort, but I still like it. It'll probably be zounds better after I edit it. For some strange reason I am trying to write it with no dialogue... I'm not sure why but I will probably rewrite it later and expand it with dialogue.

Anyways, the story boards just seemed like they needed a pick-me-up, so here's tryin' =p
Queen Octavia
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Lanzerus » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:56 pm

>_> god...You leave for like ever, come back with a kick-ass story...you sir, make me green with envy...
Lanzerus
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Queen Octavia » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:24 am

Lanzerus wrote:>_> god...You leave for like ever, come back with a kick-ass story...you sir, make me green with envy...

*blushes*

Don't feed my ego, it's big enough already =p

Actually, nevermind, continue :mrgreen:

For some strange reason I think I'm more creative around this time of year. It's like I had all these ideas in the winter but they were frozen and now they're thawing =D
Queen Octavia
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby muffinstud » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:43 pm

[whips out an industrial sized blow-dryer and aims it at Uberlurker's ideas]
Melt! MELT ALREADY!

I'm very glad you decided to continue with the Walk in the Park story. I've been waiting to see where you want to take this for a very long time. I see that not only has the wait been worth it, but that I desperately need to see more of it. Oh, and I actually like the no dialogue. It makes for an interesting perspective in the narrative.
"Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river, when you're living...in a van down by the river!" --Matt Foley, motivational speaker
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Queen Octavia » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:17 pm

muffinstud wrote:[whips out an industrial sized blow-dryer and aims it at Uberlurker's ideas]
Melt! MELT ALREADY!

I'm very glad you decided to continue with the Walk in the Park story. I've been waiting to see where you want to take this for a very long time. I see that not only has the wait been worth it, but that I desperately need to see more of it. Oh, and I actually like the no dialogue. It makes for an interesting perspective in the narrative.

Teeheehee, sorry about the wait. If ever I become a real author I had better transform into a catgirl to get 9 lives to get around pesky deadlines :mrgreen: . Thanks for the praise!

Oh and speaking of catgirls... pssssst... here's a secret only for you... mumble mumble mumble

(I wrote this new story which is a sequel to this old story)

Nobody else heard that, right? :mrgreen:
Queen Octavia
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Queen Octavia » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:08 pm

Since I was a good little boy and resumed one story and wrote a short sequel to another one, I have decided that I'm allowed to start a new one.

I only wrote a little bit, sort of a taste tester.

Anyone who is too naive to NOT know where this one is going deserves a cookie :mrgreen:

That said, contrary to appearances it definitely don't be so obvious and one-dimensional as you're expecting.

Experience

Danny had just landed a high paying job as the head of a small IT firm, much to his chagrin.

Oh, the benefits were all there – vacation time, health, dental, flexible hours, retirement options – the trouble was that the place was located in a small town in the middle of nowhere. The man who had started the firm was a local who built it up from the ground, he was retiring but insisted that the company stay local.

With only his parents for family (Both passed away in an accident a few years back), and no real friends to speak of, Danny was unattached enough to accept the position and make the move. Still, he missed the wonderful nightlife of the big city he had left behind.

At only twenty-eight years of age, you would be hard pressed to find someone a man so successful already. He was athletic and his body was in good shape, thanks to his love of slow steady exercise like biking or swimming combined with his healthy diet. Just above an even six feet in height, his hundred and eighty seven pounds were mostly loosely toned muscle. He had a warm friendly face, with a smattering of brown hair that showed no signs of thinning out into baldness and calming deep hazel eyes. His handsomeness was no small part of his charisma, and had helped him do well in the business world.

He was beginning to consider getting married and maybe having a family. Although certainly not arrogant, he knew he was quite the catch and shouldn't have much trouble. In a town as small as this, however, he also knew that there were hardly any single women around. He sighed....

After a week of settling in and getting to know everyone at the office, he soon found himself bored. On a whim, he looked online and tried to see if there was a group of people playing any roleplaying games in his area. He doubted it, but it was worth a shot.

Danny had played all sorts of RPGs and would jump at anything he saw – and strangely enough as luck would have it someone was trying to get a group together to play Dungeons & Dragons. He lived about four miles out of town, and his name was Steve. Danny quickly sent Steve an email indicating his interest, and Steve told him there had already been three other responses, and that they would start next week!

The other players turned out to be from other small towns a bit further away, and Steve was kind of in the middle of nowhere roughly in the middle of them all, so they agreed to meet there every week to play. They decided to play on Saturdays, every week.

In no time at all Danny couldn't wait for the appointed time, and he spent hours working on a character concept. He loved his current life – how couldn't he, with his success? However, roleplaying was a fascinating opportunity to step into another world so different than our own and live a whole new life. It was fulfilling on so many levels. Danny had experience playing all sorts of archetypes, as well as some unique and strange characters. He was looking for something he had never done before.

Finally, he came up with something he liked. He would play as Eorla, a beautiful young human maiden who served at the manor of a great lord. Her mother claimed that Eorla's great-grandfather had been an elf of high standing, and passed down many elven songs to Eorla when she was a babe in the cradle. At sixteen now, Eorla had the voice of an angel, and was shy, demure and obedient.

One day when she sang the young lord's heir to bed under the eye of the lady of the house, something terrible happened. By accident, the arcane power latent in her elven blood surfaced, and her spellcasting abilities manifested themselves. She infused an enchantment into her lullaby, and instantly sent the crying babe into a deep sleep. Though it was harmless, the lady was furious at her revealed ability. The lady feared Eorla could weave a beguiling net around her husband, or that she could gain some hold over the mind of her vulnerable son.

Eorla was immediately cast out of the household in disgrace, and she had no place to turn to (Her mother dead a few years ago and her father gone long since) she found herself alone on the street. Danny decided that while Eorla had no fighting experience, she would turn out to be a natural with both swords and the bow. She was an unlikely adventurer, to be sure, which is part of the reason Danny thought she would be great fun to play as.

The long wait finally ended, and Danny approached Steve's place, character sheet in hand and ready to play. He couldn't wait to become “Eorla, level one human bard”....

(To be continued)
Queen Octavia
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Corner