The Doll

Stories~! Art~! CREATIVITY~! Anything the creative juices in your brain might happen to create is welcome here~!

Moderator: Raleigh

The Doll

Postby Terriformer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:59 am

A story of mine, "The Doll", appeared here at the beginning of the year. It actually dates back to 17 years ago when I told it to friends and relatives (who all liked it), but I had never written it down until last fall.

I can't say that it's well-written. It's hard to put one's total attention into something that goes back that far. Also, I just recently learned that it's possible for me to write something that doesn't sound like a technical manual.

I've wondered whether people have read it and liked it. I also just recently found out that it's not a faux pas to come out and ask at the Forums for peoples' feedback, so I will do so. One question in my mind is whether because it contains a cultural reference that was present during my childhood (but not necessarily yours) it will be understood.

Thanks for anybody's time and response, especially those that are honest.
Terriformer
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:14 pm

From what I remember, it seemed like a good story to me. I probably wouldn't have read it since I rarely read stories in general, but since I have to read stories to see if they're appropriate for the site... XD *Peeks at the story on the site; here's the story if anyone else wants to look* Your grammar seems to be alright, and the same goes with your spelling, aside from a mistake or two. One such mistake is having a comma after a question mark, and perhaps a comma outside of the dialogue (I think it was supposed to be a period in the case that I saw).

It's good overall. I think I even remember your question about it being appropriate or not for being on the MSF site. I say that anything creative is welcome, so long as it doesn't express any content beyond what we can accept.

What's funny is that I had been been thinking of bringing up this story in the C&C Corner, after your post about the home page. It was the first thing that had come to mind. I guess it's too late for that, now. XD
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Terriformer » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:57 am

Thanks!

That story had been so well received when originally told that I felt I should cast it out into the world before it became obsolete.

Also, I'm glad punctuation and other technicalities of writing are important here. Punctuation has always bedeviled me, even though I was good at grammar and spelling. It's kind of embarrassing to be criticized on punctuation by younger people. Role reversal.
:)
Terriformer
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Postby Ell » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:06 pm

Well, a very nice story indeed! A few things I did notice: Your first few lines of dialogue seem to fumble a bit; actually, I noticed a general clumsiness in the early paragraphs that eventually cleared up, but if you ever decide to go back to it, a slight restructuring of the first few might be in order. And during the whole "road trip" sequence, you've got a lot of sentences that start with "he". Now this could just be nitpicking from someone who hates redundancy, but it seems to me that a lot of those could probably be mashed together. And he's a psychiatrist, right? So you should have plenty of pronouns to make use of other than a generic "he".
"If the wheels of the universe are in true, then good always compensates for evil - but good can be awful as well."
Ell
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby Terriformer » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:35 pm

Those are valid criticisms, I think. I fretted about the beginning of the story, trying to get rid of awkwardness. But I really wasn't able to. Maybe I should have someone rewrite it for me.

I've always tended to worry about using the proper name too often, so I stick generally with he and she. Something to question in the future, perhaps.
Terriformer
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Return to Creative Corner