My Story: Aeternal Battle.

Stories~! Art~! CREATIVITY~! Anything the creative juices in your brain might happen to create is welcome here~!

Moderator: Raleigh

My Story: Aeternal Battle.

Postby Chibi MitchellTF » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:27 pm

Chibi MitchellTF
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Ninian » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:46 pm

A better question would be "Did you understand it?" or even "Do you think I wrote this while high on PCP and after somehow reading the entirety of Fanfiction.net?"
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Chibi MitchellTF » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:48 pm

Please don't say that the answer to either is yes...
Chibi MitchellTF
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:37 am

Well... To tell you the truth, it did leave me scratching my head. But that may just be because I tend to need more clues and non-nuances to understand something. And the writing style is the kind you'd likely see at FF.net, so it was a bit disjointed, in my opinion. A better way to bring out that style, I think, is in a script-like format.

I didn't say "yes?" ^_^;
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Chibi MitchellTF » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:45 am

*nods* Thanks for a reasonable review, but what do you mean about Fanfiction.net style?

It suffers from originally being part of a larger series, so the characters aren't introduced well, unfortunately.
Chibi MitchellTF
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:30 am

My best guess concerning the FF.net style, is that it strays from a book format and its perspective is shaky at best. Punctuation, spelling and grammar aside (which FF.net is full of bad examples of), it's really the approach (or, possibly, prose) and how you start and end your paragraphs. I don't know the first thing about making paragraphs, more or less, but they play a vital role in making the flow of the story. I'm no expert with literature, but that's the best that I can describe my impression about it.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Queen Octavia » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:41 pm

The first thing I did was scroll down to the bottom, where I saw the words "To be continued", which made me grumbly. Then when I saw "Lara Croft" spelled "Laura Croft" I died a little on the inside (Not that I don't make spelling errors, but that one I found very bothersome). I thought Lilith was a rather bizarre name to just throw onto one of your characters, as it is a very significant name.

The dialogue was light and somewhat amusing. Being part of a larger series is no reason not to describe the characters properly in the new installment. Especially when the target audience has not in fact read the earlier stuff. I think you had too many characters for something of this scope.

In any event, to answer your question: Yes I did like it. However, by reducing the number of characters and by using the plot to flesh out those characters through their reactions and deciscions I feel that it could be greatly improved.

*Burrows away before you can criticize "Potential"*
Queen Octavia
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Chibi MitchellTF » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:44 am

Laura Croft was not a spelling error, it was a reference to Gold Digger, a comic I like, which uses that as a 'don't get sued' Tomb Raider reference.

Lilith is done on purpose. I didn't just throw it.

And I tried to introduce them well...But didn't do a good job. :(
Chibi MitchellTF
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Cutey Kerina » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:12 am

Was this written as a strange sort of farce? *genuinely bewildered*
http://photobucket.com/albums/v340/Majorkerina/ Kashimashi here in "Zappy Manga"
"I'm begging you. Establish context before you start talking." - Kyon
Cutey Kerina
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Chibi MitchellTF » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:22 pm

I tried for a Whedon-esque humor sense, or maybe something like Fred Perry's Gold Digger, which I'm a fan of...I guess it didn't work?
Chibi MitchellTF
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Cutey Kerina » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:52 am

It didn't work for me even though I got most of the references. It comes across as rushed. I've found if you want to take people to a convincing-unreal place you need to start with at least a small measure of reality or even "I get this" but it starts off with this sort of off-putting, unreal mood. I sometimes have fun writing random stuff though.

Structurally, in some early-on parts, your sentence breaks are either missing, in the wrong place, or not there.

Also there are places where it feels like you're "trying too hard" to write. You know, the sort of language that feels 'too much'. Purply.

Your writing is actually rather competent. I encourage you to keep going because you have a lot of the things right that work best. Focus on idea, character feelings and restrain yourself from over-indulging references. Remember, Whedon's humor comes from characters. Don't know 'Gold Digger' though...
http://photobucket.com/albums/v340/Majorkerina/ Kashimashi here in "Zappy Manga"
"I'm begging you. Establish context before you start talking." - Kyon
Cutey Kerina
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Chibi MitchellTF » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:43 pm

Thanks. I think I'll see about posting the early parts.
Chibi MitchellTF
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Return to Creative Corner