Skyblue's shaky attempts at art, be warned!

Stories~! Art~! CREATIVITY~! Anything the creative juices in your brain might happen to create is welcome here~!

Moderator: Raleigh

Skyblue's shaky attempts at art, be warned!

Postby Skyblue » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:29 pm

well folks I've gone and started sketching.
I thought I'd throw them up for a little criticism in hopes of helping my
learning. So here you people go.

Guess Who

The lovely Eri
All swords have a spirit, a True swordsman knows this is the first step to true mastery.
Character Page: http://www.magicalsailorfuku.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14864
Skyblue
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby Arkain » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:14 am

I refuse to guess.

And not horrible stuff.

Arkain, the Patron Saint of People Who Fight Against Being Transformed Instead of Accepting It. Canonized...right about now.
Arkain
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Kyrex » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:41 pm

By the Space Pope! It's Kyrex!

Not really that bad, Skyblue, and seeing as you asked for criticism (like a good artist should) you shall get it!

The first picture - Not a lot that's too wrong with it. First thing that catches my eye is that the neck sticks straight out from the shoulders. Anatomy and proportions are tricky, but when you get the chance, take some time you examine the way one part of the body connects to another, on yourself, or on some reference picture.
One thing I tend to do is study the art of better artists than myself to pick up on little techniques and anatomy cues and little things like that. Most artists have an individual style, but the good ones don't mess up the little things while doing it.

I can see you had a bit of perfspective troubles, but perspective is always hard.. Yet again, take some time with see how it looks in real life.. Pose in front of a mirror if you have to. <.<;

Last thing that I picked up on is that you had some difficulty with the clothes. Learning to draw the folds and sublties of clothing is often nerve-wracking and the only way to really learn is to just keep doing it over and over til it feels and looks right.
Just try to keep in mind that clothing hangs wraps over the form and tends to look rather different, as comapred to when it's hanging out or just laid out..

Second picture-
Only thing that stands out here is the right shoulder (the one of the left side of the picture)
It's aNother perspective/anatomy issue. Seems the shoulders are a bit too wide on both sides, but if you brought them in and pulled the right one back it would look just fine.

Aside from all of that, all I can suggest is that you trust a bit more in your pencil lines. Sketch very lightly at first as you're shaping in the body and head and such, then gone over it with a heavier darker line to solidify it. you can erase the lighter lines a lot easier that way.
Kyrex
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby jimmyinwhite » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:22 pm

not bad we are our own worst critics.
i walk in the land of dreams looking for the truth
test to find out who you are!
jimmyinwhite
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Skyblue » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:17 am

Thanks for the critique Kyrex, I'll take note of your suggestions. I have a lot to learn still so I hope lots of practice well help.

On another note here is another sketch of mine.
I know the legs are off among other things but hey, mistakes are to learn from.

All swords have a spirit, a True swordsman knows this is the first step to true mastery.
Character Page: http://www.magicalsailorfuku.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14864
Skyblue
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby Kumi-chan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:14 am

Hey cool Bluesky is drawing! Those look pretty cool keep it up Sky! remember practice well it helps. XD I'd say that makes perfect but perfection is nothing more than an illusion created by corporate American or something like that.
Kumi-chan
Spaminator
Spaminator

Return to Creative Corner