What kind of art is this...

What's the poll you want to ask?

a) Something serious.
b) Something awesome.
c) Something silly.

Moderator: Moderators

What word would you use to describe this painting (seen below)

tacky
90%
fine-art
10%

Total votes : 10

What kind of art is this...

Postby May-chan » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:23 pm

how would you describe this horrific tacky artwork that my mother seems to adore: http://photobucket.com/albums/y176/may_ ... gBears.jpg

(read below for details)

For the past year or so my mother has had that painting hanging over our mantle. I think it is the cheesiest, ugliest, tackiest thing ever. My mom describes it as a masterpiece of fine art...

We live in a nice townhouse in a nice neighborhood, it cost more than we can afford and are moving out in the summer. When we first got the house my mother and I were concerned about making the place worth more when we moved out. We replaced carpeting and countertops and such and had a handyman finish the unfinished half-basement (which is now my room). Once we got everything finished the whole house looked nice... for a day or so...

because

my sister and mother are complete and utter SLOBS while I am the MOST anal retentive person you'll meet... My mother also bought two cats that RUINED the basement area next to my room and constantly fills my living space with the scent of litter and cat-feces. not to mention they ruined the basement rugs, chairs, everything, so the room next to mine is pretty much a barren wasteland for the cats now. Then when our dogs perished she bought a new dog... the devil spawned husky we had for a few months this summer before we found it a new family to terrorize... er.. love... $10,000 in repairs from that creature. Furniture damaged beyond repair, smells that won't go away. Then we got our Gorgi and it chewed up all the wood railings on the stairs and loft... My mother changed so much decorating after she married her new hick...err... husband... and now she purchased a new rug (to replace one destroyed by the cats) it looks like something out of the funky 70's and really looks awful... All in all my room is the only saving grace of the house at this point, people are always amazed when they see my keen decorating and cleanliness in contrast to the slop of my mother and sister.

the funniest thing is my mother's husband (who lives in indiana) has no idea how much of a slob those two are because they clean up when he comes (And ONLY when he comes) so he thinks they are normal people... he'll know terror when they live with him full time...

and I can imagine trying to sell our house in a few months... we might as well stick plastic flamingos and gnomes outside let some chickens inside...

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET AWAY FROM THEM!!!!
Lookit my art n' stuff >_< !!!
http://maychanlj.deviantart.com/
"No, the other May Chan, the Fort Knox of TG imagery." - Thorn
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/m ... %20Images/
May-chan
MSFer
MSFer

Postby SweetSophia » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:33 pm

Hey, there's good tacky and bad tacky. I think leopard print seat covers and tiger striped shirts are good tacky. Pretty much everything that looks like it's from the 70's is. The bear thing....bad tacky, but people are allowed to have bad taste.
The awakening of the mind gives way to a world of possibilities.
SweetSophia
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:01 pm

I'm guessing that the mantle (hey, there's a fire place too, right? XD) is in a den, living room or dining room? If so, then I'll go with tacky. Artwork can be bad, but it's only tacky when it's out of place in an environmental or home setting. Perhaps hanging it on a wall in a small bathroom would be better for that sort of picture, or a guest bedroom (or your own bedroom for anyone who would like the thing O.o). I'm not sure if it'd be good in a hallway, but I'm leaning towards no; but the size of the picture would also have to be considered. ^_^;
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Christina Anikari » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:04 pm

That is perhaps the tackiest thing i've ever seen. It is even tackier than the picture of the topless gypsy woman we have hanging in our backyard. It is about as tacky as those singing flowers.
Christina Anikari
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Raijin » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:00 pm

I find it to be wonderfuly delightfull, the colors are very nicely layed out. Now you can't really classify it as a masterpiece either. Since not familiar with who has painted it. For example if it was a piece done by Leonardo or some other famous Early to late Rennessance painter it would have a different theme. Either way I do not see the painting as "tacky" Since the colors used are realistic. It is an accurate coloring of a bear and forest. Sure bears don't dance but thats what gives the piece a playfull feeling.
穏やかな激怒
Raijin
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Chibi MitchellTF » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:04 pm

I'm neutral on it. I don't want to put 'fine art', because that implies I really like it. I don't want to put tacky, because it doesn't really seem tacky...

It's just a painting. One which you can like, or dislike...

And a good artist can do a bad painting.
Chibi MitchellTF
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Return to Polls