Rules of the game Vs. the Fun of the game

What's the poll you want to ask?

a) Something serious.
b) Something awesome.
c) Something silly.

Moderator: Moderators

On this scale, where do you place the importance of the two?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:11 pm

0 - Rules all the way, baby!
5%
No votes
No votes
No votes
5%
5 - I care about them equally!
38%
10%
19%
No votes
10%
10 - It's all about the fun! ^^
14%

Total votes : 21

Rules of the game Vs. the Fun of the game

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:11 pm

Inspired by Muffineville, as of late.

Personally, I enjoy the freedom of creativity and don't let rules stop me, barring that the rules themselves aren't any real hindrance to having fun. I also enjoy making up my own rules for the sole purpose of adding nuance to said fun; especially if the environment gives me that freedom. So, I don't live for the sake of having fun only, but I think fun's a lot more important than stuffy rules. Especially if the rules were made up for fun, in the first place, and aren't like the rules that govern behavior in forums.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Re: Rules of the game Vs. the Fun of the game

Postby Rowan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:15 pm

Fun is more important than rules.

But rules keep things fair.

If things aren't fair then you won't have fun.

Therefore Rules are fun!

Wait~ That's not right...
"Just because you're a brain dead ditzy cutesy violet girl, and generally non-dangerous, doesn't mean you can't be effective."

"Resistance is futi....fut....futi....umm....what's the word? Nevermind! Just eat the Tomapple!"
Rowan
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Jello Shot Mischa » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:21 pm

I think Rowan's actually kind of close to the mark. XD

I'll admit, I place slightly more emphasis on fun over rules. But rules also help provide a structure to have fun within. They can make things more fair, they can provide for interesting challenges, and they can help provide a certain degree of consistency.
Jello Shot Mischa
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Rowan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:32 pm

Rules are flexible.

And, the rules in the Muffin Room are very relaxed with a few exceptions.

Like almost everything else its about degrees. Stretching or even breaking the rules is perfectly fine at times. But you need to do it right.

If anyone is familiar with the movie The Gamers: Dorkness rising, the Dungeon Master breaks the rules to make the story more interesting. But he takes it too far and kills all his players because of it.

The more restrictive the rules, the less pushing they can take before things aren't fun anymore and it goes crazy.
The more lax the rules, the more easily they stretch but by thr same token you need to push them much further to get the same sort of impact you get from stretching restrictive rules even a little bit.

A Yellow/Violet creature shouldn't technically exist. But, since it happened, its much more interesting than if it was a Violet Zombie or a Yellow Zombie. or whatever. And so long as the person being TF'd is willing to go along with it, its fine. Reality isn't terrible stable in the Muffin Room, and rules are easy to break there; at least on occasion.
"Just because you're a brain dead ditzy cutesy violet girl, and generally non-dangerous, doesn't mean you can't be effective."

"Resistance is futi....fut....futi....umm....what's the word? Nevermind! Just eat the Tomapple!"
Rowan
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:59 pm

Only on occasion? XD I just don't see why people must dictate what people can and can't do there, to have fun, lest it become structured enough to be more appropriate for FFRP. Obviously, there should be an agreement between people, if they wish to accept how someone says something works, and to stick with it however long the circumstances last, but to enforce it upon everyone, regardless of their interest and involvement, is for FFRP.

That's why, as far as the Muffin room goes, my motto is to try to entertain people as best as I can, in whatever way happens to come to mind, for the interests of a certain person or party. I often ask people for suggestions, what they like and, likewise, consider (and more often than not implementing) whatever changes they'd like to make after the fact, because I want people to relax and have fun. It bothered me greatly the amount of times I've come across people who were waiting for me to dictate everything for them, as if they'd been beaten like dogs for past initiative, making them wary of what they can and can't do.

I hoped that I might try to change that, and try to lead, by example, the way to topple such a stifling structure, but alas... ~_~
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Haylie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:19 pm

A lot of rules are just plain stupid and do nothing for the fun.

But, like Rowan said, some rules keep it fair, so it stays fun. I'll go 7.
Zu fent wahl hin brii. Slen Ek Brit!
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Language

I haz Deviant
Haylie
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Helel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:24 pm

A balance of rules and fun is necessary to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to have fun without that being at the detriment of others.
Helel
Hisho
Hisho

Postby shinryou » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:02 am

Nikkoulodeon wrote:Inspired by Muffineville, as of late.

Personally, I enjoy the freedom of creativity and don't let rules stop me, barring that the rules themselves aren't any real hindrance to having fun. I also enjoy making up my own rules for the sole purpose of adding nuance to said fun; especially if the environment gives me that freedom. So, I don't live for the sake of having fun only, but I think fun's a lot more important than stuffy rules. Especially if the rules were made up for fun, in the first place, and aren't like the rules that govern behavior in forums.

I agree with Nikkou, the freedom makes the envirnment more enjoyable :P
Character Sheet
Outline Absorber Deck: 16 cards
shinryou
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:15 am

Too bad you didn't join earlier last month, then I might have had my merry way with you. ;p But, alas, for I have fallen.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby shinryou » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:14 am

Nikkoulodeon wrote:Too bad you didn't join earlier last month, then I might have had my merry way with you. ;p But, alas, for I have fallen.

yeah.... that's too bad didn't join earlier... I just been lurking the past 6 months :P
Character Sheet
Outline Absorber Deck: 16 cards
shinryou
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Mistress Guendolen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:43 pm

I'm down the middle. Rules are there for a reason; to maintain order and make sure everyone has a chance, so no one person overshadows everyone else by being the most pushy or whatever. But by the same token, you shouldn't be slavish to them; if a rule is clearly hindering everyone, feel free to discreetly let it go.
Adding to the magical kitten girl army...one huggle at a time mraa
Mistress Guendolen
Senpai
Senpai

Location: My own mental universe of animated otherworldly fantasy

Postby Jacqueline » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:59 pm

Rules can be fun. Assuming we're talking about game-mechanic rules and not forum-behavioral-guideline rules. The latter are sometimes nescessary, but the former can be a source of inspiration to try out different scenarios to see how the rules work in various situatons.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
Jacqueline
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Xia » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:04 pm

I work within the rules to do batshit crazy things~
~Between Sanity and Madness lies Genius
Between Genius and Madness I come~
Xia
Sensei
Sensei

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:24 pm

You do pretty tame things, to me. Maybe that's just me, though. XD
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Lioconvoy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:38 pm

I've always like balance. I can't have fun if things are too outragous or if they're too structured.
The White Lion, still the same since May 20, 2003
Lioconvoy
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Next

Return to Polls