7%
I do, every once in a while.
47%
I don't. Ick!
27%

Total votes : 15

Fan-fiction

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sat May 23, 2009 11:25 pm

Since fan-fiction seems to be a dead interest around here, I was wondering what kind of potential was being wasted. And, if you feel like it, mention some series that you're interested in.

Personally, it's very rare that I read fan-fiction, because I have very high standards. But I do write fan-fiction; for what reason, I'll never know. But I figure it can't hurt to find out what kind of audience writers of fan-fiction have at MSF.

My main staple is Ranma 1/2. I usually use the universe as a foundation and add other series onto it. That's mostly due to how few series I'm interested in, and how only a few of those have any real sex-changing potential. Eh.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Re: Fan-fiction

Postby Dracos » Sun May 24, 2009 1:04 am

I read BD's fanfics, 'cause they is teh funny. Well, Guardian and Millenium at least. Well, maybe just Guardian since I stopped reading Millenium after Ranma went all Emo... So ya, I read one fanfic series.
When the fate of the world is resting on your shoulders... How can you afford not to stop and get a massage?
Dracos
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Sam » Sun May 24, 2009 1:27 am

The only time I ever read fanfiction is when its so horrible it becomes funny, such as the one with hitler becoming a super sayan
chocolate is the key to our survival, but someone doomed us all by eating it

Leader of the Muffinville Illuminati
Sam
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Mistress Guendolen » Sun May 24, 2009 11:18 am

I don't read fan fiction. As far as I can tell, most of is badly written, poorly plotted, and an excuse to either act out a fantasy (whether it be a self-insertion variety or otherwise) or to create some sort of brain-melting "pairing" of the sort that most sane people would be baffled by. Being a high stickler for writing standards, I can't bring myself to look at such stuff. Besides, to my mind, if you're going to write a story, why not just come up with something original?
Adding to the magical kitten girl army...one huggle at a time mraa
Mistress Guendolen
Senpai
Senpai

Location: My own mental universe of animated otherworldly fantasy

Postby Haylie » Sun May 24, 2009 12:22 pm

I chose option #4. Several factors come into play here:

1. I have to like/have heard of the series it's about.
2. It has to have proper punctuation and spelling and the like.
3. NO INTERNET SLANG unless it's there for the lolz. :)

And there is a series I read a bit through that I thought was pretty good, for a fan-fic. I think it's simply entitled "Link TG", and it's on DeviantArt. As you probably guessed by now, it's a fan-fic involving the Legend of Zelda, and even better, Link gets himself TG'd by an angry fairy.

Better than most I've read, anyway.
Zu fent wahl hin brii. Slen Ek Brit!
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Language

I haz Deviant
Haylie
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sun May 24, 2009 1:25 pm

Mistress Guendolen wrote:Besides, to my mind, if you're going to write a story, why not just come up with something original?

Easier, I guess? Personally, I can barely keep the details together to portray pre-existing characters right. If I try something original, it'd probably end up having less substance than what I work with in fan-fiction. That's pretty much why most of the original work I've done has been restricted to captions, since there's not much to tell or write in them.

I guess I'll never know if my fan-fiction is up to snuff, in your case. Then again, I don't think anyone's interested in what I've been inspired to write. I'm so foolish.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Mistress Guendolen » Mon May 25, 2009 10:10 am

I may not seek it out, but if you seriously want me to review it in a professional manner, I will. I can do reader-preference separation, at least to some degree. After all, I imagine you wouldn't be doing the things that mostly send me fleeing from the genre.
Mistress Guendolen
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Mon May 25, 2009 10:21 am

It's okay. I wouldn't want to torture you, of all people.

I need a guinea pig that doesn't have much brains to sacrifice. :P
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Mistress Guendolen » Mon May 25, 2009 12:10 pm

I know you can spell and capitalize, wouldn't be writing a Mary Sue self-insert character, and presumably wouldn't create cringe-worthy pairings that are horribly wrong. Hence, I suspect it wouldn't be highly tortuous.
Mistress Guendolen
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Alexis » Mon May 25, 2009 1:20 pm

I prefer looking for Trainwreck fanfics I was rather pleased recently with a Narnia/Bleach crossover it was just as bad as I expected.
"Don't believe in yourself, believe in the Unconquered Sun who believes in you"
Alexis
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Rodney » Mon May 25, 2009 1:54 pm

Sam wrote:hitler becoming a super sayan

:shock:

I have some fond memories of some Ranma 1/2 fanfiction, the Girl Days serie made me laugh out loud once or twice.

Otherwise, I try to avoid.
Rodney
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby AshK » Mon May 25, 2009 5:12 pm

"I do read fanfiction. I also write it as well. Some of the Fanfiction I like, other fanfiction I think it's okay.
AshK
Postimus Maximus
Postimus Maximus

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 pm

Alexis wrote:I prefer looking for Trainwreck fanfics I was rather pleased recently with a Narnia/Bleach crossover it was just as bad as I expected.

I would read those kind, too, if not for the fact that they are also outside of my interests. Paradox! XD

Mistress Guendolen wrote:I know you can spell and capitalize, wouldn't be writing a Mary Sue self-insert character, and presumably wouldn't create cringe-worthy pairings that are horribly wrong. Hence, I suspect it wouldn't be highly tortuous.

Pairings don't even cross my mind, to be honest. Romance isn't my thing. If I have a pairing, it's either because it's a matter of fact in the series, or it's just a logical outcome in a series of events. I've yet to understand what people find so interesting about fictional characters getting it on. <_<;

And I note that you said nothing about grammar, over all. You are sly, but not sly enough. :P
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Alexis » Mon May 25, 2009 7:03 pm

Empyrean Nikkou wrote:
Alexis wrote:I prefer looking for Trainwreck fanfics I was rather pleased recently with a Narnia/Bleach crossover it was just as bad as I expected.

I would read those kind, too, if not for the fact that they are also outside of my interests. Paradox! XD

but TrainWrecks are awesome
"Don't believe in yourself, believe in the Unconquered Sun who believes in you"
Alexis
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Sam » Mon May 25, 2009 10:02 pm

Rodney wrote:
Sam wrote:hitler becoming a super sayan

:shock:

I have some fond memories of some Ranma 1/2 fanfiction, the Girl Days serie made me laugh out loud once or twice.

Otherwise, I try to avoid.

That same fanfic also has adult Goku and Anne Frank in a relationship.
chocolate is the key to our survival, but someone doomed us all by eating it

Leader of the Muffinville Illuminati
Sam
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Next

Return to Polls