43%
Dryad!
36%
Other(be specific)
21%

Total votes : 28

Re: The Great Dracos Poll.

Postby AshK » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:24 pm

I voted for Genie because, I think it would be cool to have the powers of a genie.
AshK
Postimus Maximus
Postimus Maximus

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:37 am

But you can be other things that have that kind of power, and without having any strings attached.

Genies and witches are like the baby food of TG entertainment/the TG experience, because they're so easy to use. At some point it's a good idea to take a bite out of more complex and creative things. And who knows; you may come up with a new/fresh/refurbished idea that people get to enjoy for a time.

Or maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way. I wouldn't be surprised since I've been inimitable the entire I've been here. Or anywhere. Honestly; you'd think that more people would be interested in being nekkid. I don't know who's crazy or has everything skewed. ;/
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Dracos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:59 am

Empyrean Nikkou wrote:But you can be other things that have that kind of power, and without having any strings attached.

Genies and witches are like the baby food of TG entertainment/the TG experience, because they're so easy to use. At some point it's a good idea to take a bite out of more complex and creative things. And who knows; you may come up with a new/fresh/refurbished idea that people get to enjoy for a time.

Or maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way. I wouldn't be surprised since I've been inimitable the entire I've been here. Or anywhere. Honestly; you'd think that more people would be interested in being nekkid. I don't know who's crazy or has everything skewed. ;/

You misunderstand my goals. Dracos can already do the things he does as a genie, but when he's a genie it both legitimizes and justifies the results. He could always use his magic to do that stuff, but when people ask for something, they are generally willing to accept the results unless they're spoilsports. Without the limitation of being a genie, the counterbalance to his powers (where for a genie, it is that someone has to make a wish that must be answered properly) is that he is generally ineffective despite them. As a dryad, he would merely be himself with a different appearance, especially considering that his body is just an animated shell anyway.

In short, being a genie allows legitimate use of powers and creation of amusing situations. Being a dryad changes nothing other than forcing me to use a picture that does not suit the character as well.
When the fate of the world is resting on your shoulders... How can you afford not to stop and get a massage?
Dracos
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Rodney » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:36 am

Rose gasps !

The wacky poll degenerated into a set of reasoned arguments and polite counterpoints on logical story-telling and balance. If left alone it could go as far as complete quietness and utter order.

Isn't it the other way around usually on MSF ?

Rose rides on her complimentary ostrich into the sun-set.
Rodney
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:21 am

No worries, Rose. Dracos thinks I was basing my argument on his transformation, which I wasn't. I'm just fussing about genies in general. Through personal experience they have become very trite and unoriginal to me. I'm only arguing that dryads are more promising due to a lack of use. And Dracos' response to what he thought I was saying proves just that. He thinks that there's not much to a dryad, and that's because he hasn't properly explored it. On the other hand, genies are so popular that they can be explored, in depth, with but a glance. That's why he seems so sure that it has more to offer him than a dryad does, even though his response shows he probably knows next to nothing about them. But I suppose it could simply be accounted for taste, and he's not a vegetarian. ;p

The simple fact of the matter is that a dryad has more to offer than meets the eye. Due to extensive use genies have been marginalized into very specific beings, and it shows. Dryads suffer from stereotyping as well, but it's not because of experience; rather, it's ignorance. In much the same way as faeries have been stereotyped by Tinkerbell. Not all dryads are extensions of trees, can't move beyond the canopy of their tree, or share their life with their tree. Some prefer to live in wooded areas in general (whether due to shyness, liking the environment, or both), and are simply nymphs. Actually, many such fae can be classified as nymphs, and vice versa. It's a very flexible system, since various lore was spread throughout Europe and the Middle-East (as well as other places in the region, but primarily there) throughout many centuries.

I guess when you become as jaded as I am, the desired end can't be met with just any means. I still like plenty of typical things, I suppose, but I don't get to enjoy them anymore because I can't find, or think of, a new and enjoyable way to get there. Using a poorly-worded wish to reach that end died a long time ago, for me. And the many below-substandard stories that I've read, that have featured the mayhem of genies and their wishes, didn't help.

Basically, I'm just having a little pity party over here. It's that time of the month. I end up writing long, pointless things even though it's something that doesn't really matter. It's not like I'm a part of this community, anymore; I'm just sticking my nose in things I have no business sticking it, so don't mind me. Eh. I want my rainbow.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Dracos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:10 am

Once again, you misunderstand my point. I'm saying that because Dracos is unaffected by mental changes as a result of not having a brain to be affected, any mental changes are negated, which eliminates much of the role play potential of the dryad. I could certainly make use of dryad powers, but once again Dracos already has those powers. I suppose I could try to use the dryad's beauty powers a la D&D, but I cannot think of an ability I would be more loathe to exercise. (Compulsion via beauty is more Mith's type of thing) In general, a dryad could be a good character, but I am very much the wrong person to do so, and Dracos is very much the wrong character.
When the fate of the world is resting on your shoulders... How can you afford not to stop and get a massage?
Dracos
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Jello Shot Mischa » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:12 pm

Conform, Nikkou! Confoooooorm!

*tries to dress Nikkou in a harem outfit* :3
Jello Shot Mischa
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Rodney » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:27 pm

I do agree with Mischa's will to confort you.
And wether you know it or not, some MSFer were lurker that read a lot of your wacky outbursts : you're somehow tied to MSF and as such an (historical) part of the community. Well, at least in my own little word. I'm just a newb here, not a historian.

And I agree with that harem outfit idea too.
Rodney
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:38 pm

Dracos:

I'm not misunderstanding the points that you're making. I'm just not addressing them. Like I said, we're talking about two different things. But, okay, I'll bite; at the very least to end the trend of "you don't understand what I'm saying" responses.

One, where did you get the idea that dryads come tied with any kind of fixed personality traits? And, two, do you even know what kind of powers dryads have, if any? I can already tell that you really have no idea what dryads are, or what their potential is or could be. But I'll tell you here and now that dryads probably don't share the same kind or degree of powers that you do, and are actually rather "weak" in comparison. At best their "strongest" "ability" would be one that many of the fae have: living between their reality and ours, and thus being invisible to our senses despite their presence.

Take it from someone who knows a thing or two about faeries. They're a very eclectic collection of entities, and even genies/djinn are considered to be faeries, in one form or another, depending on what source you're drawing from. But, really, if what you're worried about is becoming something of similar stock to what you usually already are, in the technical sense, then I think it's a waste of time for me to bother discussing this sort of thing with you. I'm not interested in such superficial things, where the only change is more or less only on the surface. Because, despite what I know you're saying, that's what you said. And, no, that doesn't dictate that there must be a mental change, if otherwise. Depth and exploration goes far beyond the realm of an instant personality change.

It's not really a matter of it being about the wrong person, or the wrong character. It's only wrong for you when you deem it wrong, not because there is some kind of innate wrongness between them. And it's only wrong for the character if you don't wish the character to change, even if temporarily; not because of the character's persona. If Dracos is an ideal expression of yourself, or you just don't want to put in the effort to make significant changes to the character for any length of time, that's understandable. I don't find anything wrong with that. But never forget that you can do anything, if you're willing to try it. That's what I believe, anyway.

And that's all I'm willing to say on the matter without going into some kind of tirade.

Wait.

Mischa:

Conformity is creative suicide in a non-creative form. I like invention, mutability, imagination, inspiration, emotion, innovation, and other things like that. I would do the worst thing of all, to betray myself, if I conformed to fit in with the new beast that is MSF. What would I be without being myself?

I'll just have to live with it.

Rose:

Sometimes newbs know better than the veterans, because they have a fresh view on things. So I don't see how being a historian is really necessary. We rarely learn from our past, anyway. Although you've still pointed out the obvious: I'm in MSF's museum, gathering dust. Just because I've been around. I dunno. It's kind of funny. I went places and did things I never wanted or expected. I never really found a place for myself, here. I guess that's just the selfish kind of person that I am. Always talking about myself must make me a narcissist, too. ;p But, eh... It's not like my real self can exist or be perceived by anyone anywhere. From my limited experience, at least. But, as far as I'm concerned, I never really existed here.

Either way, if anyone still wishes to bother responding to any of this, I wouldn't do it here. I think I've derailed the topic enough with my nonsense.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Previous

Return to Polls