Left/Right

What's the poll you want to ask?

a) Something serious.
b) Something awesome.
c) Something silly.

Moderator: Moderators

Which hand do you use the most/are you strongest with?

Right.
33%
Left.
22%
Both. :P
44%

Total votes : 9

Left/Right

Postby Haylie » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:22 pm

Uh... yeah. Bored. Nothin' to do.

So vote or die. :twisted:
Zu fent wahl hin brii. Slen Ek Brit!
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Language

I haz Deviant
Haylie
Postmonger
Postmonger

Re: Left/Right

Postby Circe » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:25 pm

I'm right handed,
Circe

Postby Mistress Guendolen » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:28 pm

Proud southpaw, here. Leftie all the way!
Adding to the magical kitten girl army...one huggle at a time mraa
Mistress Guendolen
Senpai
Senpai

Location: My own mental universe of animated otherworldly fantasy

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:39 pm

I heard that southpaws have shorter lifespans. <_<

I'd say that, out of habit, I probably use my right hand more often than my left. But that's mostly for handwriting, which I rarely do anymore (I can't even remember the last time that I did...). I mostly use the keyboard, which is a joint venture for my hands, so... And they should both be of equal strength. Other than that, I think they share equal responsibility for doing certain tasks. For instance, if a door needs to be pushed I use my right hand, and I use my left to pull (since door handles are usually on the right). But I can use my left hand for things that I usually use my right for without much of a problem (for instance, I usually use my mouse with my right hand, but my sister has things placed on her desk for her left hand and I don't move things around whenever I use her computer).

Basically, I'm going to opt for both. My left hand only fails to compete with my right in handwriting, but I can still write with it... It's just more sloppy than my right's already-sloppy work. But that's okay: thank goodness for keyboards. :D
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Helel » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:24 pm

I'm right handed, as much as I wish I were ambidextrous.

I do make the effort to exercise a bit more with my left hand/side though, just so it can kinda keep up with my right hand's dominance from just being used more.
Helel
Hisho
Hisho

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:13 am

I have a question... Usually the leg or arm that you use most will likely grow a bit longer during your period of grow, right? So... Should we be able to answer the poll question by measurement? *Blink-blink*
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Sophia Anieri » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am

I write with my left hand, and do most everything else with my right hand, so I picked "both."
Tell me, for what price would you give up hope?
Would you follow the will o' the wisp of the brightest morning star?
How far?
Sophia Anieri
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Haylie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:03 am

... Mayhaps.

I also offer an observation:

Since the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body and vice-versa, only left-handed people are in their right mind. Since the majority of the population is right-handed, what does that tell you about humanity? :P

I haz Deviant
Haylie
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Sophia Anieri » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:04 am

But we could tell that already, what with all the wars and stuff.
Tell me, for what price would you give up hope?
Would you follow the will o' the wisp of the brightest morning star?
How far?
Sophia Anieri
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:19 am

But what does that say about people who use both left and right? Are we left in our right mind, or right about what's left? But if left is right and right is left, then being right is right for left and what's left is left for right.

In the end people like us just write criss-crossing sentences like these, huh? :P
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Haylie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:22 am

I believe that's related to a paradox.

That just means they're borderline. Not totally out of their right mind, but not totally in it, either. *Nods sagely*

I haz Deviant
Haylie
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:35 am

Chaos is always a nice state to be in. Because it never united with the rest of the states. :wink:
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Helel » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:28 am

Empyrean Nikkou wrote:I have a question... Usually the leg or arm that you use most will likely grow a bit longer during your period of grow, right? So... Should we be able to answer the poll question by measurement? *Blink-blink*

This isn't really the case, since that's more a bone issue, rather than a muscle issue which strength is USUALLY related to when it comes to a limb (granted your bones can become denser and thicker if you do work out and such, so yeah). Otherwise, the length of limbs, how they grow, and so forth is a genetics issue.
Helel
Hisho
Hisho

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:51 pm

But don't muscle and tendon put strain on the bone, which has to be strong enough to endure? So muscle can't be left out of the equation with bones so thoughtlessly. ;/ Bone, like muscle, becomes more or less dense over time (albeit slower than does muscle), depending on your physical habits. It's not just through weight and impact that bone shapes to our needs. Or, sometimes, to our detriment.

Other than that, it's a fact that those who prefer one limb over the other will likely see it longer/bigger than the other after so much use. Although such preference is also seen made in the womb, due to generations of people favoring one limb, and thus developing it more, than the other. Genetics don't just happen willy-nilly, barring any mutations: there's a technical and logical basis for it. Why else would the vast majority of the world's population be right-handed and have longer right arms?
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Helel » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:43 pm

If it weren't for the fact that's Lamarckism in a nutshell, I would probably pay you more mind, but.... eh.

Basically, the use of one limb does not mean it will grow longer, or that the other will be shorter- the human body likes to remain basically symmetrical (unless the underlying genetics says otherwise). Short of crippling a an arm, it is really hard to have one arm that is significantly, let's say, 'larger'. Even if one limb is dominant, the other still gets use, if slightly less.

If it seems like I'm not addressing your points, it's probably intentional. Or I'm too tired to care. XD
Helel
Hisho
Hisho

Next

Return to Polls