No votes
5 or more.
No votes

Total votes : 6

Vamanos!

Postby Haylie » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:44 pm

That's Spanish for, "Beat it!"

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating.

Anywho, a curious adolescent like myself has been wondering something for the past... few minuets. I would like to know how many languages you can at least understand on a basic level.

And I mean REAL languages. Things like Pig Latin don't count.

Lists are greatly appreciated.
Zu fent wahl hin brii. Slen Ek Brit!
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Language

I haz Deviant
Haylie
Postmonger
Postmonger

Re: Vamanos!

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:22 pm

While I've been interested in learning various languages, I've never had the focus to reach any real basic understanding of them. I can identify the language and make guesses at what some words mean if they are inspired/based on/likened to the Latin alphabet, but that's usually about it. And while I once knew the alphabet of the languages, I tend to forget parts of them over time (usually from the Japanese alphabet, which I have to occasionally refresh my memory of). The languages that I've spent any serious time with are:

Spanish
French
Japanese

My experience with Spanish was way back in Middle school. I didn't pursue learning it since I had been discouraged by the fact that I can't roll the R. Sounds silly, I know, but I don't intend to learn a language that I can't speak, and I don't consider the speaking part successful unless I can make all of the phonetic sounds required by the language.

I've been interested in French for a while, due to exposure in both culture and the English language, but it hadn't been until recently that I had decided to do a little studying. I wanted to make Peorth's use of the French language successful, so I wanted to learn the sentence structure. I don't know what my progress is in regard to that.

I've put more time and effort into learning Japanese than the other two languages, by far, for the obvious reason: most of my interests originate in Japan, in their native tongue. I probably could have been a Japanese speaker by now, but keeping a routine and focus on something is hard for me to do. I don't know how many times I've had to re-familiarize myself with the Hiragana and Katakana alphabets, for instance. I used to know how to write a proper sentence, but... That was years ago. Still, if I actually knew a large enough quantity of words, I think I could actually read Japanese to a degree, at the very least. But I don't. I only know so much of the basics, such as numbers, colors and other common objects and such.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Re: Vamanos!

Postby Helel » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:13 pm

Though I sometimes wonder if I'm even competent at one language, I'm basically competent with at least English and Latin.

I don't really feel the need to learn any languages beyond those two, despite the obvious 'benefits', but I'd be more productive at doing what I do best and then let someone else translate accordingly, if need be.
Helel
Hisho
Hisho

Return to Polls