No.
8%
I don't care either way.
25%

Total votes : 12

Optional colors for regular users

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:40 pm

(Poll open for two weeks.)

A recent decision to give Kumi a pink-colored name for her birthday, for an undecided amount of time, sparked some interest in others who would like their name to be a color other than that of the standard color. The problem is that it shouldn't be used to make someone be perceived as special, so either we have the option open to everyone or we don't have the option at all.

Because the community is so small, and because we have a legend that points out relevant colors for authority, it wouldn't be a problem to allow this extra option. We'll get to what colors would be available only if there's enough interest in them in the first place. Which is also assuming that Eirien is kosher with it; but we'll have to cross that bridge later. XD

(NOTE: Since a number of people don't come to this forum often, or at all, it'd probably help to pass the word around about the poll.)
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Re: Optional colors for regular users

Postby Sophia Anieri » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:26 pm

Oooh! Can I have blue? Oh, but which hue of blue? Decision, decisions...

Edit: Purple might be nice too.
Tell me, for what price would you give up hope?
Would you follow the will o' the wisp of the brightest morning star?
How far?
Sophia Anieri
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:43 pm

I said we'll get to colors if enough people are interested. XD And if Eirien, upon seeing said potential interest, doesn't mind following through with what Kimiko and myself decided to gauge.

(And Eirien's not on board at the moment because she's hard to talk to right now. It took somewhere between two and a half and four hours (it's a big gap since I wasn't really paying much attention to the time) to get two responses from her, each only one word. ^_^; And even then I'm unsure exactly what they meant since two words doesn't... what's that word... triangulate? Something like that. So I didn't even get around to this and one other thing, since I didn't want to pile on the questions and stuff.

And all that. Woooo~)
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Just some lady » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:11 pm

^__^ I think it'd be neat, as long as people were fine with it, an' it wasn't too much trouble~!
Just some lady
Hisho
Hisho

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:01 pm

Oh, you know how it is. We'll all feel fine. Even though it'd be the end of the world as we know it. :shock:
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Mendi-chan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:50 pm

The idea sounds good to meh. ^_^
Husband to Mid Boss
Mendi-chan
MSF's Little Sister
MSF's Little Sister

Postby Haylie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:27 pm

Imma gonna say... yes.

And I'll charge mah lazr while I'm at it.
Zu fent wahl hin brii. Slen Ek Brit!
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Language

I haz Deviant
Haylie
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Helel » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:47 pm

Sounds like fun. I'm game. :o
Helel
Hisho
Hisho

Postby Kyunji » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:54 pm

I think it would make thing unnecessarily confusing. Alternate colors for names are normally reserved for the designation of different ranks. This makes it easy to spot important users -- namely, moderators and administators. Letting everyone choose the color of their name would decrease these users' uniqueness and make them harder to distingiush from other members at a glance.

I voted "no," but on the whole I don't really care; I don't do much here anyway. I can already tell this is going to happen regardless of my input.
Kyunji
Lurking MSFer
Lurking MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:08 pm

And I'd likely agree if it were some other forum or another, but MSF doesn't exactly fit the standard bill. We're a small community, and it's more likely that anyone wanting to get in touch with a moderator or administrator has been registered long enough to know their way around, as well as other details. Even the vast majority of guest posts are done by people who are already registered. And anyone who takes a mere glance is usually a lurker or doesn't frequent MSF enough to really get involved. Even if they decided to contact a moderator or administrator, it'd go without saying that they'd need to take more than a glance to find someone to contact. And I'd think that most people would have enough sense, should they see a bunch of colors, to check and see which to go after. Whereupon they can easily find the legend and see the only relevant color. (Why moderators aren't in the legend with their own color, I have no idea.)

And then we have a new feature where people can report posts, which decreases the chances of having to contact someone of authority directly. So the practical use of colors, over all, isn't all that necessary for MSF. It would sort of work like the name changes do, since it's easier to do the non-conventional when the conventional standard isn't met and thus doesn't make it a requirement. And, to be honest, I don't see much chance of MSF growing big enough, and active enough, to warrant such conventions any time soon.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Return to Polls