How much Anime/Manga/Video Game stuff do YOU know?

What's the poll you want to ask?

a) Something serious.
b) Something awesome.
c) Something silly.

Moderator: Moderators

I admit it, I'm an avid Anime freak! Gimme all your episodes!
4%
I'm pretty adept at Anime. I'm not familiar with ALL of it, but I know a good chunk of what's out there.
18%
I know OF Anime, if that helps? My knowledge is pretty limited.
6%
I'm lost when it comes to Anime.
No votes
MANGO! Er, I mean, MANGA! I love the darn things, they clutter my rooms and I'm always into the stuff coming out!
2%
I'm interested in manga, although I'm not exactly an avid collector.
16%
I've heard of manga, but haven't really got around to collecting much.
4%
Manga? That's like a kind of fruit, isn't it?
2%
I am the video game king! Or queen! Whichever works for the moment!
4%
I play a lot of video games and know quite a bit about it. But don't think I got 10 systems in my room or anything.
16%
I'm a pretty casual video gamer. I know a few things but not a bunch.
6%
Never touched a video game in my entire life... (well, maybe this one time, but really, I know nothing)
No votes
I know EVERYTHING! Bow before me!
2%
I know some things, overall.
18%
I R NOOB. PLZ TCH MEH.
No votes

Total votes : 49

Postby Momoko » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:27 pm

This is a very serious discussion for the very serious Internet business!
Well, maybe not, but I would figure given the nature of the board, I think maybe it's good to get a feel of people in how well they know the content they are dealing with. Anyways, for the poll, you're allowed four votes, and it would be wise to check over each 'section' of the poll: Anime, Manga, Video Game, and the last section (overall). Or you could mess up your votes. Hey, it's your vote, after all.

Anyways, for me, I've been an avid video gamer since I was a little kid, introduced all the way back to the early '80s of gaming with Atari, Intellivision, et al., and today still know quite a bit. It's my forte, compared to the other two...
Manga... never touched one. The only time I know anything about a manga is by research online or just stumble upon something in my spare time. As for Anime, I remembered viewing a couple of series', but for the most part I am not a heavy viewer or have episodes on DVD or the like. However, I would say I know more about some series than others... just don't expect me to know much!

And that's my spiel for the evening. Woo! :P
Slacking off on spreading pinkness since...?
Momoko
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Re: How much Anime/Manga/Video Game stuff do YOU know?

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:49 am

I can't really vote because it discriminates against people with memory problems. ;p

Well, not really. I just don't think that knowledge is all that important, in comparison to your general interest and/or enthusiasm. I mean, how much you know depends on how much you get exposed to, and how much you get exposed to can depend on what you like, how much is available in your language/country, and how much you can afford.

That being said, I can at least say what these things mean to me.

Video games are one of the most fundamental parts of my life. I've played them since I was three, on an Atari, and I haven't stopped playing video games despite my decline of interest in things in general. I've had to make a lot of sacrifices in this area, during times when we've needed money, so all that I've ever owned is not the sum of what I have today. But I find the experiences more important, anyway, so that doesn't bother me any. I've never owned a hand-held, and I doubt I ever will, although that's more because of comfort than lack of interest in the video games themselves. I just prefer consoles so I can sit with my head up and view things on a large screen. At any rate... I owe a lot to video games, and I don't know where I would be if I'd never played any. And if that sounds pathetic to you, well... Eh.

Anime came a bit later in my life, I'd say roughly sometime in my early teens. I had already watched a few anime series in my youth, but I hadn't recognized them as anime at the time. But, when I started to become a bit more aware of the world around me, anime just seemed to click, as if something that had been there all along had been activated. At first I was very enthusiastic about anime, watching whatever I could find and, in particular, Sailor Moon. I ended up spending at least two years of my life recording new episodes of Sailor Moon and DBZ for someone else, and then watch them again so I could record those on another VCR. And if that sounds pathetic to you, well... It probably is. ;/ Which is to say that I gradually needed more than just the anime style to make me interested in what I watched. Nowadays I'm very picky, even disregarding my very limited funds. In part it's also because I tend to prefer the manga over the anime, no matter which came first. And it does happen to be cheaper, so...

Which bring me to manga. I've never been into comics of any kind, but manga had hit me much like anime had done. I didn't notice manga until a year or two after I noticed anime. My sister had introduced it to me and, of all of the things she could have shown me, it had been the first Ranma 1/2 graphic novel. You can imagine that I was easily hooked. ;p And since then, whenever I can afford it, I've acquired manga that I like. Since my experience with anime had made me a bit wiser, every single manga, be it in comic or novel form, is something that I'd like to keep and read. So I still have every one that I've ever bought for the last decade (thanks in part because they don't re-sell for much; at least not as much video games and anime, anyway).

And there you have it. Quantity-wise I think I have about the same for each of them, though by far I'm sure it's a small collection. But just about all of the funds that I have leftover from paying bills and such go into new video games, anime and manga. And I have no life and stay in the house for months on end. I think that makes me an official otaku, even though that's not meant to mean a good thing. <_<; Still... If you exclude trivial knowledge, and note that these three things pretty much make up most of my life, you could say that I'd have people bowing before me. If that makes any sense. *Checks a certain poll option* Um, yeah.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Haylie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:04 pm

I am by no means an expert, but I've delved into all of these, at least a little. Mostly in video games. Of course. Next anime, then manga close behind.
Zu fent wahl hin brii. Slen Ek Brit!
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Language

I haz Deviant
Haylie
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Sophia Anieri » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:04 am

Now repeat after me, class.

Anime: It's not a big truck.

It's a series of tubes!
Tell me, for what price would you give up hope?
Would you follow the will o' the wisp of the brightest morning star?
How far?
Sophia Anieri
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:41 am

No, no, no; you've got it all wrong. *I unsheath my sword and hold it aloft* Open the gate!

Which is to say that anime is a series of big eyes and small mouths, not the series of tubes that this nincompoop suggests.

See what I did there? I'm awesome.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Sophia Anieri » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:43 pm

But where would any anime series be without those cathode ray tubes?
Tell me, for what price would you give up hope?
Would you follow the will o' the wisp of the brightest morning star?
How far?
Sophia Anieri
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:33 pm

In manga. Duh. :P
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Helel » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:54 pm

I'm a big fan of anime and manga, but I'm casual at best when it comes to video games.

But I play it off as though I'm generally just reasonably knowledgeable about any of the three- I'm too busy with school work to really talk about any of the three for hours on end with most of my friends and acquaintances in person. I can, but I have other things to be eccentric about, like BME or hating one class or another. Oh, and Lewis Black. :3
Helel
Hisho
Hisho

Return to Polls