Don't mean to start a big debate or anything, but...

What's the poll you want to ask?

a) Something serious.
b) Something awesome.
c) Something silly.

Moderator: Moderators

Which political candidate do you want to win the office of President?

Hillary Clinton
No votes
Barack Obama
57%
John McCain
29%
Ralph Nader
14%
I don't care
No votes
I don't want any of them to win, I dislike them all as possible choices
No votes

Total votes : 7

Don't mean to start a big debate or anything, but...

Postby Mendi-chan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:55 pm

...I think that it'd make an interesting poll. And a measurement of the political atmosphere of MSF. ^^

Me myself, I like Huckabee. A conservative Christian who I can relate with, and who did some good things for Arkansas' economy. That's as far as I'm willing to delve into my political standpoint currently. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Mendi-chan on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
Husband to Mid Boss
Mendi-chan
MSF's Little Sister
MSF's Little Sister

Re: Don't mean to start a big debate or anything, but...

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:16 am

Kucinich for me. He's waaaaaaaaay out there; but, to me, not in a bad way. He makes sense to me. The others? Sure, but some of those truths that I understand about them diminish their presidential value.

It's not like I'm going to vote, though. But if I were the sort of person who would, or even raise some pom-poms, he'd be my candidate of interest. What I do show is for the silly people out there that might give a damn. :P

Otherwise I'm in favor of George Carlin, even if he decided to pursue the office to screw around. At least it'd be interesting.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Travesty » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:52 am

It's probably just cuz I'm a lunatic, but I can't really enable myself to want any of the candidates for president. I took one of those "Which candidate most reflects your positions" and they all received <50%, so yeah, it's cause I'm a lunatic, haha.
Last edited by Travesty on Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Travesty
Lurking MSFer
Lurking MSFer

Postby Musashi » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:04 am

Well, I 'spose Hillary would be all right. Though preferably a fuzzy kitten! But kittens don't run for president. ;_;
Item 1: ShounenAi Badger Badge
2: God of Bishounenkind Badge
3: FtM Badge

"Yer so funny in a harmlessly psychotic way ;-p" - Coru-moose

"You're like a ninja ferret on crack." - Zack

Dubbed "Moon Master" by Kata
Musashi
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Rowan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:35 pm

I don't like any of them, but I disagree with Giuliani the least.

If Hillary ends up the Democratic Candidate I'm gonna vote for whichever Republican runs against her.
If any Democrat other than Hillary ends up as the Dem Candidate and Giuliani is the Republican Candidate I'll vote for him.
If any Democrat other than Hillary is the Candidate and Giuliani isn't the Republican Candidate I'm writing in a vote for Stephan Colbert.
"Just because you're a brain dead ditzy cutesy violet girl, and generally non-dangerous, doesn't mean you can't be effective."

"Resistance is futi....fut....futi....umm....what's the word? Nevermind! Just eat the Tomapple!"
Rowan
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Christina Anikari » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:26 pm

Depends on whether i am speaking about who would realistically have the skills to serve the function well, while still having half-way palatable political views or solely going by who i agree the most with politically. No matter what it would be a democrat, at least those stop at being strongly right-wing and don't venture into the realm of making Qin Shi Huangdi* look like a compassionate leader. The ones i agree the most with politically is Kucinich or Gravel, but i doubt either of them has the political talent to actually lead the US and they don't have a chance of even getting media coverage anyway. But of candidates who have a chance of winning and who i believe to have the skills to lead the world's most powerful country it gets harder to tell, because it is really about picking the lesser evil. Ultimately i think that Hillary is the least bad of those choices, at least she has shown comprehensive political skills, unlike Obama who has really only shown rhetorical skills and any of the republicans are just too right-wing for me. But it is hard to pick among them since the candidates on the farthest left you have would be considered solidly placed on the right here.

But in the end i am going to go with my heart and my ideology and vote Kucinich, in a perfect world he would be my prefered candidate.

*Qin Shi Huangdi was the first emperor of China, the name he took upon ascending the throne literally meaning the First Emperor of Qin. He is the big villain in traditional Chinese history writing and is probably best known for his liberal use of executions and purges. Any half-decent history of China should have plenty of information of him and his rather excessive and creative forms of punishment. In his defense can be said that he rose to power during the age of warring states which is famed for absolutely horrible atrocities, including but not limited to ritualistic slaughter of prisoners, genocide and cannibalism.
Christina Anikari
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Haylie » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:49 pm

Isn't it funny how the word "politics" is made up of the word "poly", which is Latin for "many", and "tics", as in "bloodsucking parasites"?

I'm sorry, but politics suck. It gives me a headache. I don't really care.
Zu fent wahl hin brii. Slen Ek Brit!
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Language

I haz Deviant
Haylie
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:05 pm

I agree. We can do better than politics, but we have politics because we're human and very few people reach the potential that rises above political thinking.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Stellar » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:24 am

Everyone knows I don't care =)

If i do go to vote, whenever that voting thing takes place, I'd probly vote for the democrat nomatter who it is.

Edit! So.. yeah the site's real laggy and I only meant to post once =p
Last edited by Stellar on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Wearing Vintage Misery~
Stellar
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Stellar » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:24 am

Everyone knows I don't care =)

If i do go to vote, whenever that voting thing takes place, I'd probly vote for the democrat nomatter who it is.
~Wearing Vintage Misery~
Stellar
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Christina Anikari » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:14 am

I shall be the first to express puzzlement at how people cannot care about politics or perhaps more correctly not care about not caring about politics. Ultimately it is about how you want your own life managed and your own living conditions handled, just the same as managing your career or education is. It is more distant that is true, but it is no less concrete. Look over the 20th century, politics is what got 40 million Russians killed by German hands due to the political views a majority of Germans held in the early thirties. Politics is what has caused crime rates to soar in Denmark as mentally unstable people were turned out into the street with little support. Politics is why the country i live in as well as most of the countries you live in are in Iraq. It is why gay rights activists are put in jail in Russia. All this is politics and if you feel any of it is a problem then any attempt to solve it is through politics. It affects your lives directly and much more deeply than just about anything else in society.

I can understand why people don't care, after all it is complex, dry and it is hard to figure out if you are in the right yourself. It is just the ability to seemingly fail to recognize its importance that puzzles me. I guess it is because people forget what it is about and just see politicians backstabbing each other.
Christina Anikari
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:28 pm

I understand the need to use politics, as that is by and large the supreme medium, but I don't like it, and think it's dumb, for the same reasons that I don't like currency. For the same reason that I don't like the idea of wearing suits. So long as politics are around, or at least the sort of politics that we have been using, many of the general ideals that we strive for will continue to be impossible to realize.

The reason why I don't care? Because caring gives it the power to remain in use. It's the sort of attention that allows one ruler to have power, because they don't have power alone unless the people give themselves to said ruler in some way. It was the people who gave up democracy in Germany, or else Hitler and his ilk wouldn't have been able to take it away. America's republic is being eaten away (or is already gone; I can't tell) and replaced by democracy, where the dumb, ignorant populace can act as manure for the evildoers who'd love to use them.

I don't care because I'm just one person and this one person doesn't fit with most of the other people in their way of thinking (if they, indeed, think at all). I could go on and on. In the end, if they say that your vote counts, then one could also say that your non-vote counts as well. How else can people see that there is something wrong with our politics if less and less people get involved? No one will ever see it, in general, if it's still put to good use.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Gee-chan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:25 pm

Well I don't often take an interest in politics (real life is too obsurd for me to waste time on it) and my not being in america makes me care even less. I hope that didn't come out wrong. Anyhoo as long as they don't stop me from watching anime and don't try to stop us here then I'm fine either way.
I'm looking at the world through a Jaffa-cake filling.....

Let the loli's hit the floor.....

Things to do before you die: Number 57: Lunge wildly at The Pope!
Gee-chan
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Christina Anikari » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:49 pm

Politics cannot really go away, Nikkou. At least not unless all need for mediation between people and all distribution of resources becomes invalid. As long as it is valid politics matters. The forms it might take might differ, but it will still be politics. Politics is really just a term for society-level decission making and i have a hard time seeing that go away anytime soon.
Christina Anikari
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Dracos » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:11 pm

Ron Paul! He's a libertarian, meaning he wants the government out of our pockets, he wants us have have as much liberty as possible, and he is actually for paying attention to the constitution. It's ridiculous how much we ignore the constitution.

A few examples:
1. The federal government, by the constitution, has no power to pass laws regarding drug use.
2. The United States has not declared war since WWII. Every war since then has been unconstitutional as the president would not go to the congress as the constitution demands.
3. The constitution gives the Congress the power to regulate monetary policy, post offices, copyright, and war, that's it. The Tenth amendment even says that "anything not delegated specifically to the United States by the constitution are reserved to the States and the people." The federal government regulates communications through the FCC, medicine through the Department of Health and Human Services, education through the Department of Education and much more. They merely pass laws and hope the Supreme court will not rule it unconstitutional.

While we could agree that some of these things are good, that's why you amend the constitution. Ignoring the highest law of the US is inexcusable.

For more info, check out this article.

Ron Paul is the only one with a plan to bring inflation under control. One dollar from 1913 would be worth over 20 dollars today. Ron Paul is actually an economist, while most other people don't even see anything is wrong.

Ron Paul has one of the most consistent voting records. I don't personally put too much stock in this, but it at least shows that he believes this is good, not that he believes this is what will get him elected.

Ron Paul has raised more money than any other republican candidate, and only from individuals, not big business. He has also beaten Giuliani in every primary so far, meaning that he actually does have a shot despite what people say.

I urge you! Check out Ron Paul here!
When the fate of the world is resting on your shoulders... How can you afford not to stop and get a massage?
Dracos
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Next

Return to Polls