Hi hi~

If you're new, stop by and introduce yourself. You can also inform your friends of your departures and returns.

Moderator: Helel

Hi hi~

Postby xGoggles » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:08 am

Umm, hi everyone... I'm new here.
I'm not sure what to put into my introduction. I guess it is fair to say I'm a bit of a shy and reserved person, especially when it comes to forums and groups alike.
Lucky enough I can be very curious... I love to discover new things and make friends. ;3

Not sure how many people are still around there though... It seems I might have missed the golden-days of MSF.
Did many people leave or move to other places more popular?

I have been getting slightly into RPing as a whole, but I'm still fairly new to it all.
Looking for communities with similar interests, like TG TFs and such.
I hope it's not too late to join, and explore the magic that lives here.

But, umm yea, hi, to whoever might still be reading this~ ^^'
Can someone maybe explain to me what the different forums are? (like what is the difference between the muffinverse and roleplaying forums?)
Are there any RP-related habits to follow, any of which aren't mentioned in the rules?
I also see some people typing in colors, sometimes, are there rules about those things too? I'm not sure I haven't found any related to it yet.

Ummm ummm.. not sure how to end this intro... *poofs*
--

Unofficial MSF Discord server: https://discord.gg/wzaebh9
xGoggles
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Re: Hi hi~

Postby Ookalf » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:55 pm

Hey, welcome! Unfortunately, like you noticed, we're not quite as active as we once were... But hey, it's not like we're dead or anything. You should totally stick around!

Anyway, for your other questions...

1. The Muffinverse is sort an extreme "free form" RP setting, I guess you could say, built around a magical city called Muffinville. There aren't a whole lot of rules there, so pretty much anyone can start and join a thread for anything. The Roleplaying forum is a bit more structured, where typically a GM will set up a specific setting and scenario for others to participate in. These are typically either free to join (possibly after filling in a sign-up sheet of some sort), or you can get in touch with someone to set up a one-on-one thing with them. (That all makes sense, right? I hope I'm making sense...)

2. Well, I can't think of any unstated rules, but it's entirely possible that I'm just not thinking about something... Do you have any concerns or anything?

3. Nah, no real rules for font colors. Some people to just use them to denote different characters speaking, or to show the effects of certain changes. Again, nothing big.

And, um, I think I got everything? If I didn't, feel free to say something.
Ookalf
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby xGoggles » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:20 pm

Hi~ Thanks for the welcome. ^^
I'll try to stick around.. but ummm... not really sure where to start and such...

I'm not really familiar with what 'free form' means in RPs, does it mean something like, anyone can do anything, without needing a GM?
And for joining in the RP forum, do you have to PM to ask for permission to join or ask it in the thread OOC?
How do you know when a thread is only for one-on-one?

As for unstated rules I mean like:
-When is it too late to join a thread?
-What happens when the GM doesn't post anymore but the other members still can?
-Is it better to PM a person or to write something OOC?
-Are people allowed to start a new RP-thread with a similar theme/topic if the original one hasn't been posted in for years?
-Is it important to read all the pages of a thread before posting?

Also do I need to make a character-sheet or character-thread, somewhere, before I can potentially join an RP? Or is it sufficient to just post a brief introduction of a character when starting in a RP?

Sorry for the overload of questions...
It feels like everyone kinda knows everyone here, and might have habits I'm currently unaware off. I just don't want to step on any toes... >,<

And again, thanks for the welcome and for answering a few of my questions. :)
--

xGoggles
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Whatevr89532 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:36 pm

Hiya, welcome!

The Muffinverse is a place of chaos, where there is no such thing as GM and any character written by anyone can pop into any thread at any time for any reason. Also, a new thread can be started at any time for any reason with basically no restrictions as long as it doesn't break the overall forum rules. There are no character sheets or anything else of the like required*, just a general "please don't be a jerk" attitude about the place. That's basically what freeform means, at least in this case. That being said, if a thread looks like it's been dead for months and/or the "important" characters of the thread are written by someone who hasn't been on the forum for months to years, it's a safe bet you probably shouldn't try to necro that one.
Honestly, there are approximately 2-3 kinds of thread you'll actually tend to see in the Muffinverse: The "characters just sorta hanging out" type thread, the "come, victims, and be transformed" type thread, and more rarely the "stuff is happening you can maybe participate in" thread. They can really switch between each other more or less at will, though. The second type usually opens with some obvious scenario tempting people to show up and be affected by whatever transformative thing is presented, and the thread author usually handles the tfs in that case.

This sounds more complicated than it is. If you go to one of the newest threads in the Muffinverse and read a bit, maybe post your character walking up and staring at whatever's going on in one of them, it should become clear before too long how it all works.

The RP subforum is a more traditionally structured place where either an individual thread has an OOC you post in to ask to join, or the RP is set up so anyone can join by posting their character appearing; if there is no OOC then it's either the latter or a clearly private affair between just two people, and when it's private it should be pretty easy to tell by seeing that there are only two users posting throughout the entire existing thread. Muffinstud is starting up a slightly more freeform thing using a specific kind of setting module but it's probably easier to understand that by reading the relevant OOC thread than by anything I could hope to say here.
The currently active RPs, though, are just Assassin Harem (which is a post-in-the-OOC-to-join thing, and it's possible Muffinstud who's running it would let a newcomer join), a private affair, and the aforementioned more freeform thing.

(*-There is a place to post characters you've established or plan to establish in the muffinverse, but it's purely optional to have that as a reference for yourself and others.)
I am the variable-gender werewolf.
My TG Captions. Stories are also here. PM me if interested in source images...
A caption challenges blog, where I challenge you!

(Old Muffin Room characters purged; new character list here)
Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby xGoggles » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:22 pm

Thanks for explaining, you guys are awesome~ :D
I feel like, I might have brought the illusion that things might seem more complex than they actually are... with all these questions.
But I guess that's just me... I feel more comfortable being at least a bit prepared, instead of relying on a 'does this feel right?'-approach.

Anyway, there are a lot of nice stories and themes to explore, I think I'm going to mainly focus on reading those for now, if you don't mind.
The current active ones, seem fun, but don't really appeal to me at the moment (or for some just I don't feel... umm.. 'ready' yet.. I guess).
I'll definitely stick around and read up stuff (and lurk a bit.. [ sorry if that sounds creepy... ] ).

Thanks again for the welcome~
--

xGoggles
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Return to Welcome Matt