MSF IRC Introduction/Commands/Help Thread

If you're new, stop by and introduce yourself. You can also inform your friends of your departures and returns.

Moderator: Helel

MSF IRC Introduction/Commands/Help Thread

Postby Helel » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:27 pm

Right, so you've joined MSF, pillage the forums and are potentially looking for more fun, right? Well, you've come to the right place! :D

The purpose of this thread is organize helpful information and commands that you may need during your MSF IRC experience.

First, getting started with IRC:

You will need a client. Various forms of clients exist, many having the ability to server other forms of instant messaging. However, mIRC is by far the most popular IRC Client, so check that out if you want to download your own client, separate from other programs that may be able to run IRC already.

Assuming you'd rather not download a client, various web clients exist, such as mibbit, which provide all the basic functionality of a client, but without the hassle of downloading and installing anything. They also have the added benefit of working on any web browser, virtually anywhere.

Now, once you have a client, you need to join the server~!

To do this, you need to input certain information, which follows:
Server: irc.dynastynet.net
Port: This is often 6667, but sometimes other ports may be needed. You can often just default this, and clients will take care of you.
Channel: If you need to establish a starting point for a channel, the place to go for MSF is '#magicalsailorfuku'. This is our main channel, through which most activity flows, though there are multiple side rooms to our chat, and hundreds of others on dynastynet that you can explore if you wish!

Okay, now you're on the server, and potentially in the room- how the heck do you DO anything?

Generally, simply inputting a sentence, and pressing enter does the job for speech. But if you want to do an action, for instance, you use the command '/me'.

For instance, if I was going running, I would input: '/me is going running.' which would result in. '* Aeris is going running.' Remember to add a space after the /me, and your nickname will be automatically pasted in for you! though, speaking of nicknames, here's some additional commands for you! In the case of the underlined words, those are the unique words you're putting in.

/nick nickname - this sets a nickname for yourself, pretty straight forward
/nickserv register password email - for some channels, like our very own #magicalsailorfuku, requires a registered nickname. This is how you do it.
/nickserv identify password - sometimes you have to identify yourself for a nickname, and this is how you do it.
/nickserv help - if you need help with nickserv commands, this will provide the full list and allow you to explore the full range of commands.
/join channel - and this is how you join a channel/chatroom, like #magicalsailorfuku. And yes, you must spell the name of the room correctly, but it's not case sensitive. Don't forget the #!

Those are all the really basic commands, but a few others that you may find yourself using if you're an operator (op) of a channel, include:

/op user nickname - this makes another user an operator
/deop user nickname - this removes another user as an operator
/voice user nickname - this gives a user a voice, allowing them to talk in a muted room
/devoice user nickname - this removes a user's voice

I have more to come, but as it's late and I have things to do in the morning, I'll have to get back to this. I'll also try to organize things more coherently as well. If there's any questions, comments or suggestions, please ask away~! :D

Happy chatting! ^_^
Helel
Hisho
Hisho

Re: MSF IRC Introduction/Commands/Help Thread

Postby Xia » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:30 pm

ask anyone with an @ or % next to their name in #magicalsailorfuku if you need help.

If they cant help you, beat them with a stick and then come to me.

anyone with a + is worthless, ignore them
~Between Sanity and Madness lies Genius
Between Genius and Madness I come~
Xia
Sensei
Sensei

Return to Welcome Matt