So far Windows Vista isn't all that bad

Lives, Links, News, and TG. All these discussions abound in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Coruscate » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:06 pm

Yeah but I use my computer for graphic work, so I can't do cheap. I have to go reliable, which is why even the $500 macs are a bit out of my reach since they're older. I'll fix my tower in a few weeks and make it my work machine, until then, Vista it is.

But... I will be adding an OS-Tan to my character list based off of this.
"god knows I don't go through life trying to be normal. Peculiar suits me just fine."
-Xia

Deviant Art
Coruscate
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Lucky » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:14 pm

Helel wrote:
Selena Aninikkou wrote:Tried playing store-bought CD's in the Vista computer yet? Ah, the sounds of silence...

Who store buys CDs anymore, really? :P

I do...
;____;
Last edited by Lucky on Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lucky
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Mistress Guendolen » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:16 pm

I do too. I don't even have iTunes or anything like that. Guess we're in the minority here....
Adding to the magical kitten girl army...one huggle at a time mraa
Mistress Guendolen
Senpai
Senpai

Location: My own mental universe of animated otherworldly fantasy

Postby Lucky » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:18 pm

Guendolen wrote:I do too. I don't even have iTunes or anything like that. Guess we're in the minority here....

two resons why I don't.

A)When you hold a CD it acculy feels like your supporting the artests.
B)No credit card fer me.
=D
Lucky
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Mistress Guendolen » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:21 pm

Oh, the artists get a royalty from iTunes sales. I just like the whole cd arrangement. You can use a debit card as easily as a credit, which is what I would do (not having a credit card either), but I don't want to risk getting carried away with being able to download songs and downloading entirely too many. Though I might have to sign up for it at some point, if for no other reason than that someday I will want to make an AMV to a song that neither me nor anyone I know has on cd, and I would rather pay for it than download it illegally and risk getting caught in a lawsuit. I don't want free music enough to put myself in danger of being sued by a record company.
Mistress Guendolen
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Lucky » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:29 pm

Guendolen wrote:Oh, the artists get a royalty from iTunes sales. I just like the whole cd arrangement. You can use a debit card as easily as a credit, which is what I would do (not having a credit card either), but I don't want to risk getting carried away with being able to download songs and downloading entirely too many. Though I might have to sign up for it at some point, if for no other reason than that someday I will want to make an AMV to a song that neither me nor anyone I know has on cd, and I would rather pay for it than download it illegally and risk getting caught in a lawsuit. I don't want free music enough to put myself in danger of being sued by a record company.

I know Itunes give roylates. Still the feeling of holding the CD is better. In the end I whould rather have something I can hold.
Lucky
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Mistress Guendolen » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:16 pm

I can see that. It's the same reason I don't do the e-books thing.
Mistress Guendolen
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Coruscate » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:30 am

Well if you go the Itunrs route you're also locked into Itunes... whereas a CD you can rip MP3s from it, etc. etc. etc.

Normally I'd buy artist CDs, but I have yet to get myself back on track just yet. I'm close, very close.
"god knows I don't go through life trying to be normal. Peculiar suits me just fine."
-Xia

Deviant Art
Coruscate
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:02 am

Bleh to Vista... Just because I'd rather not make myself get used to another OS. ^_^; I mean, being as familiar with XP as I am, and said XP still working decently enough in my favor, I'm not dazzled by the newness of it. Besides which, I'm poor, and can't afford it.

And why would there be silence with standard audio CDs? It's hard to imagine an OS not being compatible with something like that.

I'm a pirate, too... 'Cause I'm poor. However, when I have the money, I do buy the CDs and stuff. While that initially seems to contradict my belief in equal give and return (or just giving away excess), I do note that I can hear plenty of songs for free on the radio. In fact, it's good business to hear the songs; it's just like advertising. There are differences, sure, but what can you do? Personally, I don't follow something just because it's a law. I like being practical and realistic and, being as poor as I am, I prefer hearing songs whenever I want (instead of whenever it's played on the radio) until I can afford to buy them. I'm well aware that people make a living, much like I'd like to, so... I give when I can.

There! Half on-topic and half off-topic. ;p
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Coruscate » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:39 am

I only update when I have to...

...and I had to.

I will say this, Windows Vista is slow.

It pauses and hangs more frequently than Windows 98.

That's #$@#$ing sad.
-Xia

Deviant Art
Coruscate
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Sophia Anieri » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:47 pm

Um, what are you talking about? That's where I get all my music...
Tell me, for what price would you give up hope?
Would you follow the will o' the wisp of the brightest morning star?
How far?
Sophia Anieri
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:50 pm

I don't go out... So I shop online. :P
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Helel » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:00 pm

Sophia Anieri wrote:

Um, what are you talking about? That's where I get all my music...

Though only Aires would really get where I'm coming from, I've nabbed several thousand songs directly off the internet, with only a "few" coming from ripped CDs.

This is mainly because I can store nth times more music on my wittle computer in which a large closet space would be required to store all of the CDs in physical form.

Considering I live in a dorm as well, I have little space as is. But if I did ever wnt the feel of a CD, that's what burning them are for, and then, I can mix and match my favorite tracks over all, rather than listen to one or two songs on a single store bought CD.
Helel
Hisho
Hisho

Postby Selena Aninikkou » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:59 pm

Empyrean Nikkou wrote:And why would there be silence with standard audio CDs? It's hard to imagine an OS not being compatible with something like that.

It's actually caused by a combination of two things:
  1. Since about 2000, the RIAA's member companies have been putting special software on their CD's that tells a computer they are copyright-restricted.
  2. Windows Vista blocks certain out ports (like the sound if you don't have hi-end Toslink hookups, and any video port above S-Video) if it detects a media that is copyright-restricted.

Result? If you stick a store-bought CD into a Vista computer, there's a good chance you could end up with no sound at all, as Vista attempts to protect the RIAA from you maybe ripping songs from it.

As for why mute it, the answer is so you don't put a recorder up to the speakers and simply record the song off of that.
ImageImageImage
Popful Mail rules ^^
Selena Aninikkou
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Previous

Return to General Discussion