An "accidental" heroine like Rosa Parks

Lives, Links, News, and TG. All these discussions abound in here!

Moderator: Moderators

An "accidental" heroine like Rosa Parks

Postby Coruscate » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:51 am

And considering that I am a witch I should have known about her, oh well ^^;;

BBC UK

Calls to pardon 'UK's last witch'

Helen Duncan was tried under the Witchcraft Act
The family of the last person in the UK to be prosecuted under the Witchcraft Act will mark the 50th anniversary of her death by calling for her pardon.
Medium Helen Duncan, who was born in Callander, Perthshire, was imprisoned using the law during World War II.

She was targeted by the government after revealing to a séance audience that a warship had sunk before the news had been released to the public.

Her grand-daughter is particularly angry at the accusations of treason.

Mary Martin, of Edinburgh, said Mrs Duncan had been accused of being a traitor.

Spiritualist churches

"When she first came back home after prison she was never the same.

"She always had a bit of a glow about her but she seemed to have lost that.

"Some people said it was treason. My grandmother had two sons and two son in laws in the forces ... and there is no way she would have given anybody information."

Mrs Duncan became one of the most famous mediums of her time, heading a network of spiritualist churches.

During the war she lived in Portsmouth, the home of the Royal Navy.

She has put us on the right side of the law by bringing in the 1952 act

Mary Armour
Medium

At a séance in 1943 it was claimed that the spirit of a sailor from the HMS Barham appeared.

The vessel was only officially declared lost several months later.

She was arrested in 1944 and sentenced to nine months in prison at the Old Bailey for crimes under the Witchcraft Act of 1735.

While in prison she was visited by Winston Churchill.

When he was re-elected in 1951 the Witchcraft Act was repealed and three years later spiritualism was officially recognised as a religion.

Campaigners to pardon Mrs Duncan have set up an online petition.

The campaign is backed by the British Society of Paranormal Studies.

Medium Mary Armour, who wrote her biography, said: "She has put us on the right side of the law by bringing in the 1952 act."
"god knows I don't go through life trying to be normal. Peculiar suits me just fine."
-Xia

Deviant Art
Coruscate
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Saya » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:30 pm

Uh, how is Rosa Parks an accidental heroine in any regard?
Saya
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Location: The Aether of Time And Space (It's just off the Jersey Turnpike)

Postby Chibi MitchellTF » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:33 pm

Because Rosa Parks became a heroine for simply not moving from her seat, and a single simple action changed the country. As compared to Martin Luther King Junior, who gave brilliant speeches, and changed the world.
Chibi MitchellTF
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Saya » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:22 pm

But she did it on purpose. It was an act of protest. Not that it's not heroic, but she knew what she was doing. Also, it wasn't really a "simple, single" action. Other people were breaking stupid honky rules at the time. Rosa Parks was a. willing to go through the process of appealling the charges and b. an upstanding enough citizen for the NAACP to build a case around.

This witch lady just seems to have been in the wrong place in the wrong time communing with the wrong ghosts. And it kinda seems like her prosecution was based more on trumped-up treason charges than the fact that she practiced witchcraft.
Saya
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Location: The Aether of Time And Space (It's just off the Jersey Turnpike)

Postby Coruscate » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:28 am

What you say is spot on, Saya, but she didn't intend to be a mega-famous star. I'm betting (and mind you, I totally respect this and her) that she was just tired as #$@# and fed up overall. Now mind you, I haven't dug deep off into her history. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there's some detail I missed where she did want to become the one that stood up. But I don't believe I've ever read anything to indicate that.

As far as Ms. Witch, obviously she didn't want to be in that situation at all. I'm figuring spy paranoia just made them think that she absolutely must be a spy and they used the Witchcraft law to nail her, that and fear of Witches as it was still illegal at the time.
"god knows I don't go through life trying to be normal. Peculiar suits me just fine."
-Xia

Deviant Art
Coruscate
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Chibi MitchellTF » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:54 am

*Nods to Saya* Apologies for denegrating the actions of Rosa Parks. I would say, however, that since this trumped-up treason charge led directly to the repeal of the Witchcraft Act, there is some comparison.

The difference is, I assume, that Rosa Parks appealed the charge and made a case, while this woman simply happened to gain the attention of Winston Churchill.

Also, I take offense at the term 'honky'. I prefer, 'cracker', or 'The Man'.
Chibi MitchellTF
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Return to General Discussion