The news and inflammatory remarks...

Lives, Links, News, and TG. All these discussions abound in here!

Moderator: Moderators

The news and inflammatory remarks...

Postby May-chan » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:50 pm

We all remember a few months ago whatshisface was getting all sorts of attention for anti-semetic remarks... now my MSNBC is plastered with articles about how the guy fron seinfeld made use of the "n" word...

And although it is wrong to make these kinds of remarks... but why does the media feel obligated to spread the news like it is the biggest thing since whatever?

Seriously... they are doing no better by posting their remarks and videos of what happened. If someone makes stupid comments, let them be corrected and scorned... but don't turn it into a media frenzy... the guy made racist remarks... so what do the news teams do? Share clips of those remarks to offend everybody. I don't think the groups targetted by remarks such as these really want to hear about it (unless there are individuals just looking for trouble)...

Why give jerks attention? it is just like Anne Coulter... she says absolutely stupid things... but nobody would have to hear her if everyone would just ignore her rather than plastering her face all over articles and news clips...

I know famous people make anti-GLBT comments all the time... but what do I care that they are saying it? I don't want to hear about it on the news... (unless said homophobe-ringleader is stepping down due to buying male hookers and meth for three years XD )
Lookit my art n' stuff >_< !!!
http://maychanlj.deviantart.com/
"No, the other May Chan, the Fort Knox of TG imagery." - Thorn
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/m ... %20Images/
May-chan
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:10 pm

Because most news is now business, and a business has to sell you their brand. People are more interested in things that excite them or make them aware of things that they feel strongly about, so news is part entertainment rather than just informative. And, at its worst, skewed to inform in a biased manner, according to the owners of the news networks.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Chibi MitchellTF » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:15 am

Also, celebrities are heroes to many, and the thing people like most is to see a hero fail, to see him fall, to see him reveal his clay feet.
Chibi MitchellTF
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Cow Belle » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:03 am

I'm with nikkou with this one. It is a business which is very sad to watch. I hate tv. Also they really want you to watch the nese so you want to buy beer and jeeps after watching "bad acting" commercials.
Some stuff happen, and there was cow bell! And all was good.
Cow Belle
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Coruscate » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:30 pm

Whaddya know, Nikkou said so much, I have nothing to add ^^;;
"god knows I don't go through life trying to be normal. Peculiar suits me just fine."
-Xia

Deviant Art
Coruscate
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:33 pm

You make it sound like I'm stupid most often. XD;;
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Cow Belle » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:42 pm

Or you are the most smartest one here and not know it. ^_^
Some stuff happen, and there was cow bell! And all was good.
Cow Belle
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Christina Anikari » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:53 pm

It is just another outgrowth of the focus on celebrities. I have never understood why people care about celebrities, but they do and as such they also care about their dirty laundry and as such there is a market. And inflammatory remarks is a particular interesting form of dirty laundry for many as it is something it is easy to be self-righteous about and that is something people love about gossip.
Christina Anikari
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Kohaku » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:47 pm

This is exactly why I boycott tabloids and TV news networks owned by Media Barons such as Rupert Murdoch. It's all skewed and intended to make pure profit, as well as distract attention away from the real issues. I don't give two craps about Seinfeld! I don't even watch the show! Is this incident seriously going to have any significant effect on the world? Are the Ku Klux Klan going to be ressurected from the dustbin of history? Riots is the streets? Nation-wide lynchings? No! Of course not! It's only going to sell more bloody Seinfeld DVDs!!!

Now, the situation in Lebanon, the situation in Iraq, the resurfacing of China as a new superpower, the corruption rampant in the Bush Administration, the potential candidates for the new UK Prime Minister, that's what we need to know about.
It's Party Time! =^_^=
It is I, Kohaku the Free-Style Dancer!
Kohaku
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby SweetSophia » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:13 am

It's simply the sad truth that, for one, anything celebrities do is considered better or worse than the common man. It's not like people haven't been prejudice and using that word in a derogatory fashion for centuries. Frankly, some people only are aware of prejudice when a celebrity does it or if it ends in death.

Second, people derive pleasure out of the knowledge that they're better than others. It's the basis for the majority of reality shows and those horrible "America's Funniest" shows where they're constantly showing footage of people hitting themselves in the nuts with baseball bats that the people themselves send in for money....anyway, yeah. People especially like to feel they're better than celebrities, a group often held in higher esteem than themselves.
The awakening of the mind gives way to a world of possibilities.
SweetSophia
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Selena Aninikkou » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:33 am

SweetSophia wrote:and those horrible "America's Funniest" shows where they're constantly showing footage of people hitting themselves in the nuts with baseball bats that the people themselves send in for money....

I used to like America's Funniest Home Videos, a long time ago. Back in the early days, the videos were actually good for a quick laugh. Now 95% of the videos shown are so obviously FAKED it's not funny anymore...

Plus, it would drive me bonkers that the audience almost consistently voted for the least funniest of the various home movies, and tended to prefer absolutely disgusting situations over anything else...
ImageImageImage
Popful Mail rules ^^
Selena Aninikkou
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Christina Anikari » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:41 pm

Yeah and those real news you listed Kohaku are merely the obvious news. Russian attempts at keeping all former Soviet Republics in line is something we hear less about, as is most things going on in Africa and loads of other news i don't know because we never hear about them.
Christina Anikari
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby P-tan » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:41 pm

Their just ACTORS and people are really stupid creatures.. (2 lazy to go in-depth)
P-tan

Return to General Discussion