NBC Today show Gay Wedding? Also, Jesus Statue struck down

Lives, Links, News, and TG. All these discussions abound in here!

Moderator: Moderators

NBC Today show Gay Wedding? Also, Jesus Statue struck down

Postby Kris_Roth » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:02 pm

The NBC's Today Show, a 3 hour morning daily show on Weekdays, has announced that they are going to allow Homosexual and Lesbians to be considered for their "Wedding Day" segment, where one lucky couple will be married in New York City's Today Show studio, with the planning done by the viewers. NBC has buckled under the pressures of GLAAD, an organization that has been undermining the traditional view of the sanctity of the union of one man, and one woman with their Homosexual/Lesbians = Equality agendas. I mean, two guys or two women in a "civil union" or "domestic partnership?" I don't think so....read your Bible and find out what God says about all this....

I, for one, will not be watching the Today show, and find out the sponsors for this segment, and boycott those products.

Oh, and in other news, the 60 foot statue of Jesus Christ was destroyed by a lightning storm June 14th at a southwestern Ohio church, the Solid Rock Church near Cinncinatti. Act of God for breaking the 2nd Commandment (Exodus 20:4)? They called it "Touchdown Jesus" because the statue had its arms raised in the air like when the ref signals for a touchdown in American football. It was made of metal wires, styrofoam, and cost $250,000. They are planning to rebuild it...Foolish people...Hypocrites...
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Re: NBC Today show Gay Wedding? Also, Jesus Statue struck do

Postby Harri-chan » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:42 pm

I don't mean to cause offense, but I'm kinda baffled at your views on homosexuality. I mean, I've seen you speak out before about transgender issues, and you seem to be in favour of transgendered people getting treated fairly, right? I saw the topic title and figured you'd be praising the show for this decision. As for what 'God' says, isn't admitting the whole existence of transgender issues admitting that 'God' can make a major mistake in putting people in the wrong body? I just thought people in a place like this of all people would be far more open-minded over something like this, and I'm quite stunned that there's still people who can't accept this.
Harri-chan
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Zilla » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:33 pm

*shakes her head*

Some people don't understand love... and how gender should never be a barrier to love.

I hope you learn how amazing love is, and how it should be free to express with whoever you choose. I hope you understand that these things hurt nobody, and bring more love into the world, and should not be discouraged or admonished. I hope you are open to the wonderful change that is happening.

I'm disappointed in you... unless you're being sarcastic and trying to joke about this, ala Stephen Colbert. Even then... it comes across like you actually believe that, and... that's sad.
Head of the Haven of Aeternalae forums. Now 80% less threatening, 150% more cute, and 200% more loving!:D
Zilla
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Shy Shay » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:59 pm

I'm new here, and even I feel the need to respond.

I still don't know my orentiation or my gender, but I do know that tose things are not due reason for predujice.

I don't mean to offend, but could you please explain why you think gay marrage is bad? I am all for difrent viewpoints, but in order to fully back off, I need to understand the thought process. I still don't agree, and I doubt that anythng you say will make me agree, but I still feel a need to know. If it is just becouse of the Bible, then you should know that there are a lot of diffrent translations available, and the most common one actually isn't that accurate.

Just voiceing my opinion here. I'm sorry if I offended you, Kris_Roth.
Do you know the muffin man? The muffin man? The muffin man?
Do you know the muffin man, who's now the muffin girl?

Corruption is fun.

The power of Shy compels you!

The one TF I don't like is inanimate. Otherwise, go wild.
Shy Shay
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:11 pm

Anyone who believes that marriage between a man and a woman is the only "right" way are delusional, at best. All that marriage is, is a formal agreement to reserve the greatest amount of love a person can give to a single person (ideally). You don't need marriage to love someone like that, but tradition (I can't think for myself!), ego (acknowledge us!), selfishness (you're mine!) and a host of other things make people think that it's a necessary process of life. It isn't. It's just as made up as currency is. I'd say unnecessary, too, but I don't think many enfeebled minds could handle such a revelation. Such is the many unenlightened masses of humanity.

What a lot of Western people understand of marriage is only based on the religion that got involved in its workings, after the fact. They don't realize that various forms of civil unions (that's the politically correct term for marriage) predate their religion, and that said religion got its grubby fingers in it later. Basically, saying that marriage can only be between a man and a woman is the same as saying that one can only pray in a church/tabernacle/synagogue. Which the story of Daniel proves otherwise. And, based on the "new testament", you should love your neighbor as you would yourself. So what if they're gay, or different in any other way from you: love your neighbor as you would yourself. Really, knowing what that means should be a no-brainer.

In the end, marriage is a form of control. In part because it promotes social stability (or tries to), but that's understandable. Beyond that... It's just another silly invention from the human mind. And I think it's sad when people allow it to insert itself into their love life. Honestly, if anyone values their own freedom of expression, whatever it may be, then they shouldn't be a bigot and disallow others that same freedom. It's just common sense. Or should be.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Kris_Roth » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:09 pm

I am sorry about all this...it's just that you should love the people, and not the lifestyle they are in. I do not wish to offend people.....my faith is being tested...and sometimes, during these trials, I may sound hypocritical and unsensitive to the needs of my fellow man. It is just all the bad and impure feelings and

I am going through a lot with being unemployed and dealing with my Asperger's Syndrome, and trying to balance church as well as life outside the church, which would be considered the "mission field." When I heard that NBC had decided to extend the "olive branch" to the homosexual/lebsian community to include them in their Wedding day segment, it was like NBC was compromising its integrity to the American people.

II Chronicles 7:14 says, "If my people, who are called by my name (GOD), shall humble themselves and pray, and turn (repent) from their wicked ways; then I will hear from them, and forgive their sin, and heal their land."

Many people cite Leviticus 18:22 as a basis to condone "alternative lifestyles". I mean, look what happened to Sodom and Gammorah in Genesis 19:24-29.

Anyway, once again, I am sorry for all this.

I am single, straight, and male, have been in relationships before...they did not work out because of incompatibility. I was afraid I was going to be condemned by God, so I made the choice to not pursue the relationship further.
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Zilla » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:31 pm

This is a sensitive subject to address... but there is a point where religion is counterproductive to it's end goals. Religious texts are not solid sources of moral reasoning, as even if all of their tenants are sound in spirit, they were recorded, translated, and passed down among people, who are imperfect beings that may corrupt those ideals, whether willingly or unwillingly.

One should really weigh the meaning of all the teachings they are given. Do not take them at face value, since, for one, they are at best, someone's imperfect view on the subject, and at worse, a means of social control that was engineered to keep superstitious societies together in a time where the best way to get people to become civilized was to use illustrative examples of what can happen when society falls apart. While religion can lay a solid framework for a moral compass, true self-investigation, and reflection on how to treat others, and what it means to be a person living in society today, are FAR better sources of moral reasoning.
Head of the Haven of Aeternalae forums. Now 80% less threatening, 150% more cute, and 200% more loving!:D
Zilla
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:06 pm

Kris_Roth wrote:I am sorry about all this...it's just that you should love the people, and not the lifestyle they are in. I do not wish to offend people.....my faith is being tested...and sometimes, during these trials, I may sound hypocritical and unsensitive to the needs of my fellow man.

No one is saying to love a lifestyle not of your own choosing. What was the saying... Judge not, lest ye be judged? Matthew 7:1-5. Basically, who are we to judge, when all of us are being weighed and measured in the eyes of God. That means that He alone, when we die, knows what our ultimate fate will be. We can't presume to know as He knows. It's not our place to control what other people should do, for they should be allowed to live as they please and make right or wrong decisions on their own, because no one can follow you or me into Heaven or Hell on a leash. The best that anyone can do is offer advice and hope that it's followed.

As far as faith is concerned, the best policy is to let God handle it, because He knows better than you do. Look at the book of Job, for example. There's a man that wisely chose not to curse and hate the source of everything that plagued him, even though he was sure that he was a righteous man. Basically, "God's will be done." Whatever happens, God allows it to happen, for whatever reason that might be. You just have to accept it, and tolerate it, like Job did.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Xia » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:44 pm

Kris_Roth wrote:I don't think so....read your Bible and find out what God says about all this....

I've only got one comment for all this (aside from a snort of amusement about the statue, irony is delicious).

It is a bit galling and possibly offensive that the post immediately condemns the beliefs of someone else because of your own beliefs. You say read the Bible with the implication that you are right and we are wrong. Who are you to say that your beliefs supersede ours? You quote the bible to back up your thought process, but again, that only holds true if others believe the same thing you do (nevermind the parts about "loving thy neighbor" or "do unto others").

Let me be clear though, for a second, I don't object to your views, rather I object to how you present them, like you are completely and utterly right and others are wrong because of their contrary nature.

Your whole post reeks of it.

And as a warning to those who would cherry pick biblical quotes to try and back up their claims, you should watch this. The bible does indeed say a great many things, some good, some bad. However, you really cant turn a blind eye to that which you don't care about and focus only on what backs you up. You have to take the good with the bad, especially if you are going to be taking it literally, rather than figuratively.
~Between Sanity and Madness lies Genius
Between Genius and Madness I come~
Xia
Sensei
Sensei

Postby Miku-chan » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:49 pm

Ok... Not beating a dead horse, but I concider myself to be transgendered, and as such, I have had to rething a lot of the religious docterine I grew up with along with heredity, heraldy and personal experiances. In all things, bring paeace and love. For it matters not what you believe, but who you answer to in the end, and if you truely learned and libed your beliefs. This was a sermon given by my bible study slass my junior year in High school. And as I was to give my view on this, at the time, I was still a confused adolecent and not sure of my life choices at the time. But he one thing that still rings true to this day that I believe with all my heart. We are put here for a purpose, and if our creator/ god/higher power does not make mistakes, then it is up to us to learn how we best serve those goals. If one reads corre fl, the Bible is a book of stories, and those have been handed down thru the generations as a reminder of where we came from, what we learned, and how we express ourselves. History is written in the blood of the guilty and the inocent, with their story preserved by the victors. It is neither right or wrong, it is a viewpoint of what was seen and interpeted. It might not make you understand , but it will allow you to learn and grow, to be who you are meant to be. Remember we all share a common point, no matter what your beliefs... We are all a living being, and as such we share a comon thread, a brotherhood/sisterhood that no fear can destroy, or break. We live, we love, we grow, and in the end, we are...
Why do we park on a Driveway and drive on a Parkway?
Miku-chan
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Musashi » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:44 am

NBC is freakin' awesome for doing that. Extend that "olive branch." EXTEND IT MIGHTILY!

My uncle and his partner have been a very happy, loving couple for many years, and have stuck together through some really hard times, such as his partner's ongoing battle with cancer. I'm still hoping for the day when they can legally get married here in Cali. I know it'll happen, I just wish it'd hurry up. Their relationship is just as valid as anyone else's.

As for the Bible, I have a hard time believing in something written by some duuuudes, and edited by them as they tried to decide what would be canon.
When the holy shining divine hand of God comes down from the clouds and bestows upon us a pre-written book that has been completely untouched by human hands, then maybe I'll think about it.

And while you are absolutely entitled to your own opinion and the expression of it, I do kinda have a hard time believing that you didn't at all anticipate offending people. Sorry, but I think it's reasonably obvious what kind of community this is.
Item 1: ShounenAi Badger Badge
2: God of Bishounenkind Badge
3: FtM Badge

"Yer so funny in a harmlessly psychotic way ;-p" - Coru-moose

"You're like a ninja ferret on crack." - Zack

Dubbed "Moon Master" by Kata
Musashi
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Return to General Discussion