Damn the "TGTF games" site!

Lives, Links, News, and TG. All these discussions abound in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Damn the "TGTF games" site!

Postby Ninian » Fri May 28, 2010 11:31 pm

My kind of writing still involve things like immortality and dark themes like dominance. Years of basically analyzing my likes helped me realize that I really "don't" specialize in dealing with gender bending in a sense, but in humanity transcendence. That said, I still find a certain intense reverence in maiden energy that I'd like to channel in some way.

Been writing yet another original setting. Or more accurately, brainstorming one. About a small world of different immortal girls, named after Circe's isle in Greek Mythology, "Aeaea". Those who enter Aeaea typically don't escape. Imagine something like Gensokyo from Touhou, but where the curtain fire turns you all moé.
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Fri May 28, 2010 11:55 pm

I'm still unsure of what I really like to write, beyond the sex-change itself. Although I think I have a preference for "slice of life", more than anything. Light-hearted stuff. It might be because a lot of other things tend to seem a bit too contrived by their authors, when they illustrate certain things that occur within their stories. The characters often suffer from some logical malady that makes those things possible, and I'm not much for creating fodder out of characters, even if it means less work. That's probably why I have a problem motivating myself to write as much as I'd like to, because of the work I have to look forward to. Oh, well. XD

Though, lately, I've been tentatively leaning toward maternal representations. In that it's still a "might", as far as my interests are concerned. I swear that I'll never be sure of anything for as long as I live. ;/

Ah, Aeaea. I forgot what that means, and I'm having no luck finding something to remind me. Too bad you reference Touhou, since I've been avoiding that stuff for years. XD There's nothing wrong with it, it's just... I tend to shy away from things that people follow as they do Touhou. My loss, probably, but that's just how I am. ;/ Anyway, how does one enter/end up/come upon Aeaea?
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Ninian » Sat May 29, 2010 12:03 am

Mitera Nikkou wrote:Ah, Aeaea. I forgot what that means, and I'm having no luck finding something to remind me. Too bad you reference Touhou, since I've been avoiding that stuff for years. XD There's nothing wrong with it, it's just... I tend to shy away from things that people follow as they do Touhou. My loss, probably, but that's just how I am. ;/

I used to have a kind of phase where I'd snub something because it was popular. I changed my ways when I realized that going out of my way to avoid popular things was taking control out of my hands just as surely as it would if I enjoyed nothing but popular things. And I hate losing control.

Anyways, Touhou's appeal is obvious for me: It's an all-girl setting where the girls are eternally young, and the story always has a happy ending where everyone wins.

Anyway, how does one enter/end up/come upon Aeaea?

Still working on it. Despite the name, it's not really directly related to any of the Aeternalae stuff. In fact, if anything, I've been working on girls transforming each other based on themes. Like for example, a maid in Aeaea can challenge and temporarily turn other girls into maids. That's a very rudimentary, oversimplified example, but it steps slightly away from focusing solely on gender bending.

In my mind, I'd like to write a war game with different factions in Aeaea seeking to bring everyone temporarily under one banner.
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sat May 29, 2010 12:24 am

Actually, I probably would have gotten involved with Touhou by now (since my avoidance of such things are temporary, if I think I'd like it), but sources haven't really been "right there" for me to get my hands on. I know I'm not interested in the games -- the bullet hell shooters, at least -- but if I came across anime or manga... Beyond that, it appeals to me for the same reasons.

Well, if people/things go in to get changed, rather than they going out to do it, I guess it'd depend on why they might get drawn there, if not just stumbling upon it. Could be physical, like walking through a curtain and finding oneself there. Could be mental, and acts as a dream environment that becomes their reality. Could even be spiritual, where their spirit, in rest, traumatic experience or death, finds its way there. There are lots of options to explore, I'm sure.

I can't say that I have much to say about a war game, though. Well, I don't really know how that'd work, or what the point would be (despite said point probably already having been mentioned). I guess my understanding of it is as extensive as my liking for strife, conflict and competition. Perhaps that is my downfall.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Ninian » Sat May 29, 2010 12:38 am

Mitera Nikkou wrote:Actually, I probably would have gotten involved with Touhou by now (since my avoidance of such things are temporary, if I think I'd like it), but sources haven't really been "right there" for me to get my hands on. I know I'm not interested in the games -- the bullet hell shooters, at least -- but if I came across anime or manga... Beyond that, it appeals to me for the same reasons.

Many, if not most of its fans nowadays get into it because they hear about a specific character and they soak up the tons (AND TONS) of fanworks revolving around that character. It's kinda the Suikoden effect.

Mitera Nikkou wrote:Well, if people/things go in to get changed, rather than they going out to do it, I guess it'd depend on why they might get drawn there, if not just stumbling upon it. Could be physical, like walking through a curtain and finding oneself there. Could be mental, and acts as a dream environment that becomes their reality. Could even be spiritual, where their spirit, in rest, traumatic experience or death, finds its way there. There are lots of options to explore, I'm sure.

You're basically in the ballpark -- if you're in Aeaea, you're either trespassing or you're destined to be there. Either way, you're fair game and you better find a place to hide. Or don't, maybe you want to look cute in a skirt.

Mitera Nikkou wrote:I can't say that I have much to say about a war game, though. Well, I don't really know how that'd work, or what the point would be (despite said point probably already having been mentioned). I guess my understanding of it is as extensive as my liking for strife, conflict and competition. Perhaps that is my downfall.

I love the struggle, conflict, and romance of change. Elements of fear, dominance, struggle -- it enhances things for me, especially if the victim is fighting a futile battle or has been subsumed by a superior force. If you wanted, I could probably point out which of your captions trigger that for me.
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sat May 29, 2010 12:51 am

Yeah, it seems like half of the images I see are of characters from Touhou. I noticed recently that the artist, Sayori, has some nice contributions. Though I only notice since I don't bother to nab most of the images that I see.

Why not cute in anything? ;p Heck, I wouldn't mind being ugly, as I am now. I'm more concerned with matters of the heart, since I'm a lonely soul and all. Though I doubt anything would do me any good, since people's feeling fail to reach me.

Actually, if you don't mind, could you? I'm not against that sort of thing; I just tend to lean in other directions, personally. Regarding other aspects of change or not. I can't deny its existence or purpose since it's basically just a different side to the same coin. But, if I know which captions fancy those ideas, to one extent or another, it'd help me better understand how to write another one, if an image comes along to inspire such a caption. I rarely write anything for myself, so...
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Ninian » Sat May 29, 2010 1:14 am

Nikkou, maybe we should continue this on AIM or some other IM service if you have one. There's just so much more I'd have to say on this line, and I'm derailing hard. I'll PM you stand-out captions too, if that doesn't work.

To get back on topic, one more reason I think PG-13 is a good level to strive for is that it wouldn't alienate female visitors. I know it's crazy, but there are in fact female MtF fans. A friend of mine actually visited Japan recently and she said there was a whole section dedicated to it in the bookstore she went to and it was considered a "female audience" thing.

I know technically most TG/TF sites are a sausage fest, but that's no reason to make it an unwelcome environment for women. Besides which, sex and gender aren't as closely linked as one would think, and I think it's to our credit that being female is no big deal here. It's a major reason I work with transhumans in the first place, as a way of acknowledging to women that they're as flawed as men and just as much in need of an upgrade.
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sat May 29, 2010 1:35 am

I'm rarely on AIM, but... For you, I'll see what I can do. ;p

I don't really think that the PG-13 environment is necessarily any more or less inviting than adult environments. In my personal experience, I haven't known many (if any) real life females that weren't interested in the adult stuff, too. We can probably get into an endless debate about it, but, at best, I suppose that, at the very least, it's always nice to have an alternative, whether it's your preference or what you're in the mood for. For me, it's preference, as I have several reasons for why I'm not interested in sex, and perfectly fine with being a virgin for the rest of my life. Mostly depressing and morbid stuff that's of no interest.

All I know for sure is that people are variable in their likes and dislikes, including the reasons or rationalizations for them. There's always a place that will cater to someone, some more than others. As always, it's just a matter of partitioning the portions of one's meal, and wanting to enjoy one portion without another getting mixed with it. Well, for those that have an issue with that, or need a place, during certain circumstances (like being at work), where they can't, or don't feel like, revealing to other people what kind of a person they are, or might be.

It's a complicated subject, to be sure. I wouldn't dare say that I know much of what I'm talking about. I can't say that I'd view anything as flawed, per se; just different. I'd say more, but then it'd end up being a philosophical ramble of immense proportions. XD
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Selena Aninikkou » Sun May 30, 2010 10:11 pm

You guys know, since I'm currently between jobs I have A LOT of spare time right now, right? Personally, I need a web-based project to keep me going before I stop doing this sort of work entirely again, like I did a number of years ago. If you're still interested, I can come through with a now years-old promise and at least design the framework for a new version of this site, just to fix the whole "nothing ever seems to be going on" problem.
ImageImageImage
Popful Mail rules ^^
Selena Aninikkou
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Ninian » Mon May 31, 2010 2:22 pm

Selena Aninikkou wrote:You guys know, since I'm currently between jobs I have A LOT of spare time right now, right? Personally, I need a web-based project to keep me going before I stop doing this sort of work entirely again, like I did a number of years ago. If you're still interested, I can come through with a now years-old promise and at least design the framework for a new version of this site, just to fix the whole "nothing ever seems to be going on" problem.

That is kind of you, but if you think about it the site has always just reflected the community. There was never need of much of the site because the community hasn't lately been creating things worth archiving. I know that sounds harsh, and I apologize if I stepped on anyone's feelings, but my always pushing for the site to get revamped and so on years back was putting the cart before the horse.

That said, "build it and they will come". Perhaps it's worth discussing what kind of bells and whistles a full site should have?
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Musashi » Mon May 31, 2010 3:40 pm

Females totally dig the adult stuff. X3

But PG-13 is good for a community like MSF, I think. Not everyone is into sex and kinks, so the PG-13 rating keeps it open to all kinds of people.

And that's really one of my favorite things about MSF. All types of people, here for various reasons, with varying interests, and we're all allowed to express those interests for the most part.

I have seen things kinda creeping over the PG-13 border sometimes though. I've wondered about what would happen if we had an optional hidden forum, kinda like the Soapbox, for people to do more R-rated stuff, so it could all stay there and off the regular forums. Buuuuut... I dunno.
Item 1: ShounenAi Badger Badge
2: God of Bishounenkind Badge
3: FtM Badge

"Yer so funny in a harmlessly psychotic way ;-p" - Coru-moose

"You're like a ninja ferret on crack." - Zack

Dubbed "Moon Master" by Kata
Musashi
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Ninian » Mon May 31, 2010 7:28 pm

I apologize, Musashi, I didn't quite mean it that way. In fact, I'm of the opinion that if you think women aren't some of the craziest, horniest creatures alive then you're actually not spending enough time with them or reading their fanfiction. I just mean that when a site is filled with pictures of strippers, it drives women away just as surely as it would men if it was typical for members to have huge avatars of two shirtless catboys making out and taking off each other's pants.

Just in general, it's more friendly if such things are rendered neutral. So regardless of who is jerking off behind the monitor and for what reasons, it's important for the community to not really acknowledge it even if some content is being generated for that end. I'd discourage a hidden R-rated subforum as such.
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Xia » Mon May 31, 2010 8:12 pm

Selena Aninikkou wrote:You guys know, since I'm currently between jobs I have A LOT of spare time right now, right? Personally, I need a web-based project to keep me going before I stop doing this sort of work entirely again, like I did a number of years ago. If you're still interested, I can come through with a now years-old promise and at least design the framework for a new version of this site, just to fix the whole "nothing ever seems to be going on" problem.

I sent you a PM regarding that darlin.

Musashi wrote:I have seen things kinda creeping over the PG-13 border sometimes though. I've wondered about what would happen if we had an optional hidden forum, kinda like the Soapbox, for people to do more R-rated stuff, so it could all stay there and off the regular forums. Buuuuut... I dunno.

I've considered this a few times. Its completely feasible in several ways...it would just be the most heavily moderated/regulated forum we have...and honestly, I think that would be what would cause the most problems, rather than it being adult.

Heh, who knows. For the forseeable future, pg-13 is how it will stay.
~Between Sanity and Madness lies Genius
Between Genius and Madness I come~
Xia
Sensei
Sensei

Postby Ninian » Mon May 31, 2010 8:51 pm

Wise call, Xia.

Personally I think it'd be opening a pandora's box that probably could never be shut without a lot of intra-community drama. A lot of gestures that seem kind or diplomatic by nature can have far-reaching consequences, so it makes me happy you think about such things.
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Mon May 31, 2010 8:56 pm

Trust me, he's not thinking about it. He's just too lazy to do anything, one way or the other. :P
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion