Wherever the wind blows...

Lives, Links, News, and TG. All these discussions abound in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Wherever the wind blows...

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:09 pm

With my mind in the sky, and my eye on a chocolate pie, I decided to... Um... Can't think of any other song reference along that line...

Anyway, I was suddenly thinking about where I got started in listening to music, so I decided to make this topic on a whim. Here's my boring tale.

I think it starts at the age of seven or eight, when I came into the possession of a cassette tape to listen to on a Walkman (or its equivalent). I can only remember listening to Lady Madonna and Paperback Writer on it (by the Beatles, of course). I listened to it often for a few days before I lost interest. So much for a foray into the musical arts. ;p

It really started when I was eleven, when my father's music collection was out in the open. One day I asked him if I could listen to any of them and he lent me one of his Beatles albums. (Just as a note: before this time I had been driven to and from school that year, and I had acquired a liking for a lot of the songs that played on the radio (which was always on a station that played stuff from the 50's and 60's).) I ended up listening to all of the Beatles albums, then I was able to listen to the other bands that he had. From the Beatles I quickly expanded out to Billy Joel and Tom Petty. After a few years, especially while both school and home life began to (for lack of a better euphemism) suck, most of my attention was focused on Rush, Queen, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and, most especially, Boston.

By now there's very little that I can't listen to, at the very least. It really, really depends as far as rap and country are concerned, for example; gospel and other religious music, on the other hand, I don't want to listen to. Stuff from any faith just feels icky since I've long since escaped from being barraged by any of their messages. They tried to get me while I was young... But they failed! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaa!

Anyway, it's the sound that matters to me the most. There are only a handful of songs that I could care about for their lyrics. Otherwise the vocals are just like another instrument for me.

These days my focus has been on progressive metal, but I haven't really foraged through much of it yet. One of the songs that I like to listen to when I'm nabbing stuff over at Moeboard, is Symphony X's Odyssey. It's twenty-four minutes long and the song is, of course, about Odysseus. There used to be more parts to this at Youtube, but now they're gone. But it left out the first three minutes anyway, which was the awesomest part in my opinion. :O Anyway, my ears are always peeled for something new and interesting to listen to. Such as amusing songs like these. (Yay for Sloppy Seconds. *_*)

So, yeah... It pretty much started with the Beatles, Billy Joel and Tom Petty for me, and I didn't end up "stuck" with the first stuff I became interested in. I've found that my interests are very flexible, so there's a lot of music out there that I can enjoy despite how different it might be to something else that I've heard.

[This was brought to you by: a mind in another world.]
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Return to General Discussion