Fairfax, Virginia outlaws feeding the homless...

Lives, Links, News, and TG. All these discussions abound in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Fairfax, Virginia outlaws feeding the homless...

Postby Coruscate » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:48 pm

...freshly baked goods.

Which is critical since it's what the shelters use to feed the homeless.

I have to agree with one of the posters, I doubt this is casual stupidity, it must be part of a "drive the homeless out" plan.

Also note that Fairfax seems to go liberal rather than conservative, someone early in the thread assumed and attacked them otherwise.

Democratic Underground

RamboLiberal (1000+ posts) Wed Nov-29-06 12:44 AM
Original message
WP: Freshly Baked Handouts Forbidden in Fairfax(VA - to Homeless)

The casserole has been canned.

Under a tough new Fairfax County policy, residents can no longer donate food prepared in their homes or a church kitchen -- be it a tuna casserole, sandwiches or even a batch of cookies -- unless the kitchen is approved by the county, health officials said yesterday.

They said the crackdown on home-cooked meals is aimed at preventing food poisoning among homeless people.

But it is infuriating operators of shelters for the homeless and leaders of a coalition of churches that provides shelter and meals to homeless people during the winter. They said the strict standards for food served in the shelters will make it more difficult to serve healthy, hot meals to homeless people. The enforcement also, they said, makes little sense.

"We're very aware that a number of homeless people eat out of dumpsters, and mom's pot roast has got to be healthier than that," said Jim Brigl, chief executive of Fairfax Area Christian Emergency & Transitional Services. "But that doesn't meet the code."
"god knows I don't go through life trying to be normal. Peculiar suits me just fine."
-Xia

Deviant Art
Coruscate
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby May-chan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:04 pm

I already tremble at the mention of Fairfax, VA: home of Mythic Entertainment and their dreaded PR rep Sanya!!! :P
Lookit my art n' stuff >_< !!!
http://maychanlj.deviantart.com/
"No, the other May Chan, the Fort Knox of TG imagery." - Thorn
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/m ... %20Images/
May-chan
MSFer
MSFer

Return to General Discussion