Infestation: Revenge of the Ovalisk

A land of wonders and oddities, with change around every corner. Jump right in!

Moderators: Mendi-chan, Kether

Infestation: Revenge of the Ovalisk

Postby Feng » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:48 pm

The City of Muffinville....

The young man fled in terror down the empty streets of downtown, gasping loudly. His face was white as a sheet from his recent encounter with.... that!

Why did he have to stop and help? If he had minded his own business, Ralph would still be here right now.... The thought made him shudder.

No. There was no time for remorse right now. Right now he had to run and find help. Should he run to the Exorcists? No, that group hadn't been seen in ages. The Muffinville Police? Certainly not. They were too poorly equipped for this threat. The CTC perhaps? Perhaps.... but could they handle this threat? The return of the-

His train of thought was interrupted by the realization that he had reached a walled-up dead end. In his haste he had foolishly made a wrong turn down a nearby alleyway.

"F#$%!" he swore under his breath. He quickly reconnoitered his surroundings, hoping he could perhaps find some means of escape from his encroaching doom. The door to his left was boarded tightly shut. The fire escape was decrepit from years of rust; there was no way it could support his weight.

The sound of tiny footsteps from behind dashed all hope that remained.

"Please...." he rasped imploringly to the monster in front of the alleyway. "Spare me! I don't want to...."

There was a heavy pause.... and in a swift motion the monster struck. The last thing the boy remembered before oblivion consumed his was the sound of laughter ringing in his ears.

---
TWO WEEKS LATER

::....The Muffinville Police have reported three more missing people cases, increasing the total to fifty five. Authorities advise that all citizens please avoid traveling at night. If you must leave your home, do not travel alone. And now on to local news with Sarah::

"Thank you Brock" said a blonde newscaster wearing a pink suit. "Fire fighters are still combating a freak fire that broke out at the Black Temple in the Chibi District..."
---

The city of Muffinville!

It was a quiet afternoon in the city of change. Rumors had been circulating the web about a string of disappearances that had been occurring in the downtown area; people being spirited away in the middle of the night, never to be seen again! Of course, given the city's reputation for hosting wannabe war lords, zap happy mad scientists, and sentient tomapple plants speculation ran the gamut from the plausible to the extremely ludicrous.

The "vanishings", as they were becoming known, wasn't the only strange occurrence being discussed however. Citizens were reporting increased sightings of chibi ninja, the Chibiwanbanshu, moving about in broad daylight. It was becoming commonplace to see the black-clad spies lurking on the rooftops and telephone poles like oversized crows. (It was no coincidence that a group of chibi ninja was referred to as a murder'). Some were linking these increased ninja sightings to the spate of disappearances plaguing the city. After all, didn't the so-called criminal mastermind Lord Bones hold some sort of sway over their number?

Those more knowledgeable of chibi politics (a rare few given their baffling culture) would note that these warriors were not associated with Bones but rather the Black Temple based in the chibi district. A disturbing fact as the Smoking One's followers seldom left the city except on the most urgent of business.

Currently, many were huddled outside the abandoned Muffinville Galleria, recently shut down due to possibly faulty wiring. Ominously enough, the electrical engineering crew sent to investigate the problem were among the latest bunch of people to disappear. For those interested in investigating this strange place, the Galleria was the place to start.
Last edited by Feng on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feng
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Re: Infestation: Enter the Serpent

Postby Knight Errant » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:00 pm

Dact, having recently returned to Muffinville proper, had been keeping an ear to the ground for interesting news. And the circulating rumors of disappearances certainly qualifies. Asking around, he finds the location of the latest disappearance. And it was with that info that he can be seen heading down the street towards the Galleria. Taking note of the murder of Chibi loitering outside of it...
O Muse!
Sing in me, and through me tell the story
Of that man skilled in all the ways of contending,
A wanderer, harried for years on end...

Image Image

Click the eggs... feed the dragons.
Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Feng » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:23 pm

The wandering knight would indeed note the Chibiwanbanshu lurking atop the entrance of the abandoned mall, but they are not the only pressence seen. Parked in front of the entrance are half-a-dozen squad cars from the Muffinville Police force. A rather gruff looking fellow is barking orders to a bunch of wet-behind-the-ears cadets. Or he is when he isn't yelling threats at the group of diminutive ninja.

::OI! THIS IS AN OFFICIAL POLICE INVESTIGATION!::
yells the officer, face red as a beat. ::I NEED YOU PAJAMA CLAD FREAKS TO CLEAR THE AREA::

Huh. That voice might sound familiar to Dact.... From the-Yes! From the Museum Heist years ago!

The Chibiwanbanshu do not respond to Inspector McGruff, merely eyeing the police (and Dactylos) with their steely gaze.

"I don't believe this" the inspector grumbles under his breath. "It's bad enough we got our hands full with these missing persons reports but now we got to deal with chibi nonsense. I swear if this gets any crazier I'll-"
Feng
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Knight Errant » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:37 pm

Its then that Dact walks up to McGruff. "Afternoon, inspector. I don't mean to interrupt your tirade... but I've heard of the recent disturbances. And I'd like to help your investigation, if you'll have me."
O Muse!

Image Image

Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Feng » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:48 pm

The inspector turns to Dactylos. Judging by the expression on his face, it seems he has just seen a ghost.

"YOU!" he shouts, clasping Dact by the shoulders. "Yes! I remember YOU! From the Museum Heist years back! That whole fiasco with the Phantom Thief Zed or something."

He mutters under his breath.

"Poor Jerry. At least he found some happiness as a wife and mother"

He shakes his head and scratches his chin.

"Normally I don't cotton to you costume types meddling in our affairs. Every time the CTC or the Exorcists or the Red Blades or what have you get involved, I end up with a mountain of paperwork and a huge mess to clean up after."

His mustache twitches, an indication of deep thought.

"HOWEVER, I am at wits ends with these Chibi here. No matter how much I shout at them, I can't seem to get through their thick skulls. Stubborn is what they are! And you have demonstrated some degree of competence before...."

He sighs.

"I don't like it, but we've yet to make any progress on this case and the Commissioner has been riding my a%@ for the past two weeks. Plus the doc says I need to watch the blood pressure... GAH!"

He grumbles and reaches into his trenchcoat pockets procuring.... a police badge sticker??

"On behalf of the Muffinville Police, I hereby deputize you as an agent at least until this matter has been resolved."

He places the sticker on Dact's chest plate.
Feng
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Knight Errant » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:58 pm

"Yeah... that was a real mess. The whole thing kind of blurred together at the end there... but eventually things calmed down. Nice to see you again. Though I wish it were under better circumstances." He smiles a bit as he is given a deputy badge, nodding. "I'll do my best to assist you in my most professional manner I can, officer. I'll try not to make too much paperwork for you. I just want to help."

"So... whats the situation here? And whats with the Chibi scarecrows?"
O Muse!

Image Image

Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Feng » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:07 pm

"We received an anonymous tip regarding the recent spate of disappearance, AKA "the vanishings" that lead our investigation here. Truth be told, our investigations tend to point to this area as being a hub of activity regarding the whole mess. In fact a team of electrical engineers sent to fix a faulty wire in the Mall's PA system were among the latest victims. Six men and women gone with a trace!"

He casts an eye at the Chibi.

"As for those crows," he grumbles, "they've been camping here for quite some time, long before we pulled up here. We thought they might be Bones' men but according to the city's resident expert on Chibi Relations, they are apparently from some Black Temple something-or-other. Either way, they keep hassling anyone who goes near the Galleria."

He points to the sidewalk where Dact might notice a number of arrows and shuriken embedded in the dirt and shrubbery.

"We have had a couple of close shaves but no injuries thus far."
Feng
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Knight Errant » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:37 pm

"Hrm... do you think they are involved in some way? On either side? This could be some kind if ill-conceived attempt to save people. Or they could be part of this whole thing." He pauses. "I could go ask them, if you like. I'd doubt I'd get a straight answer, but..."
O Muse!

Image Image

Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Feng » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:42 pm

"There's no reasoning with those spoony Chibi types" grumbled the Inspector. "Every time the Chibi get involved its either some shadow war between Toasters and Peppers, some weird cabal summoning giant bleeding penguins to trample the city, or else its something to do with Bones."

He mumbles.

"Still, if you absolutely HAVE to talk to those toaster worshipers, I won't stop you. You look like you could handle that lot in a fight if need be."
Feng
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Knight Errant » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:47 pm

"Right. I'll see what I can do." He goes to walk over to the entrance to the mall... tensing... then doing a vertical leap, landing right next to them with a heavy thud. "Hey, yo, whats up?" He asks, waving at the tiny ninja.
O Muse!

Image Image

Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Feng » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:53 pm

The ninja scatter as the heavy knight crash-lands into the middle of their murder. Many draw their weapons: katana, sai, a tetsubo... and go to slowly circle the Knight.

"Intruder!"

"Do not step a foot further, Tall One! Not unless you want to be the latest victim for the demon!"

They circle about, switching between clockwise and counter clockwise.

On the roof, archers knock their bow and take aim.

Across the street, officers scurry behind the police cars, guns aimed at the Chibi assassins.

::BACK AWAY FROM THE DEPUTY OR WE WILL BE FORCED TO OPEN FIRE!:: shouts McGruph, cocking a shotgun with a free hand.
Feng
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Knight Errant » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:10 pm

Dact raises an eyebrow at that. "Really now. I'm here as a part of a police investigation. To end this 'demons' reign of terror. I'm here to determine who's side you are on in this... are we allies, or enemies?"
O Muse!

Image Image

Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Feng » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:16 pm

There is no immediate answer until.... "ENOUGH!" roars a voice from the entrance as an elderly Chibi in traditional attire hobbles out. He is flanked on both sides by chibi dressed in conservative robes and holding staves. Priests perhaps?

The old chibi strolls up to Dact, scrutinizing his face.

"I am Old Bird, an Elder of the Black Temple of the Smoking One and Grand Master of the Chibiwanbanshu's Northern School."

His gaze hardens.

"I know your face. You have opposed the one who calls himself Lord Bones on numerous occasions."
Feng
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Knight Errant » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:19 pm

He frowns. "That I did. And will as long as his schemes come at the price of innocents. The same innocents I'm honor bound to protect from whatever has been plaguing the city."
O Muse!

Image Image

Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Feng » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:24 pm

Old Bird pauses.... and nods.

"Make no mistake, Tall One, we are no allies of Lord Bones. He and his rogue followers bring great shame upon our society and people."

He sighs.

"However, it is foolishness that you should choose to face this creature. This is not a creature of your world, Tall One, nor is it one that walks with Smoking Toaster. It is something alien, a menace that cannot be contained."

He nods to the priest on his left who immediately procures a few seats. The priest on his right pulls out a tea kettle and some cups. The rest of the chibi, the Chibiwanbanshu, lower their weapons and ease back a ways.... but they do not take their eyes of the knight.
Feng
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Next

Return to the Muffinverse