The Way of the Iridescent Fist

A land of wonders and oddities, with change around every corner. Jump right in!

Moderators: Mendi-chan, Kether

Re: The Way of the Iridescent Fist

Postby Knight Errant » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:31 pm

"HahaHAHAHAhahaaa! Stakes good! More on line makes the blood rush... the fight harder... the fight more better!" He grips the handle of his weapon harder... his wild smile broad and excited. "Mmm... me guess me could use human shack for skinnies to come and learn to fight sword." He snorts slightly at the thought, and lets go of his weapon, reaching out one of his massive claws to shake. His hand is rough, calloused and scarred. And it feels unusually warm. And despite what she might have expected, the handshake is uncharacteristically gentle.
O Muse!
Sing in me, and through me tell the story
Of that man skilled in all the ways of contending,
A wanderer, harried for years on end...

Image Image

Click the eggs... feed the dragons.
Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby AmbushCat » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:18 pm

The woman watches the corrected kata intensely, before making a comment.

"How confident do you feel now? Do you think you can handle a spar? Not with me, of course, but with someone else?"

Joni: *thinks about it for a few seconds, then reluctantly shakes her head* Not at the present time, Master. Maybe in a little bit. Focusing on this and offsetting my gigantism is taking a fair amount of my concentration.

The redhead nods. "Very well. Feel free to observe as long as you like. There will be an exhibition soon." She glances towards the oni at the gate as she says this.

*Ambush salutes her, then makes his way to the dojo's roof to get a better view of the proceedings.*
It's a trifle, if ever was.
SpamLady Supreme -- By Caprice, 8/16/2017
Characters.
AmbushCat
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Whatevr89532 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:50 pm

The girl starts thinking as soon as she hears the question. The problem to her is interpreting details not stated directly in the question: How hard the strike is, what kind of damage is meant (deadliness or pain, or something else), and how direct the strike in question is allowed to be--for example, if one had the ability to directly hit the heart or brain without going through any of the flesh and bone normally blocking the way to those organs it would probably be deadly. She decides to try for the most common-sense interpretation of the question instead, and considers how many vital organs are around a person's chest to be potentially pierced by a broken ribcage: Blood in the lungs, the heart of course, a lot of other important organs in there a person doesn't often think about on a day-to-day basis.

This entire mulling-over takes only the time a normal person's snap response to the question would, and barely flashes as a single thought in her eyes, though of course it's hard to say whether an outside observer would be able to tell it happened."Ribcage?"
I am the variable-gender werewolf.
My TG Captions. Stories are also here. PM me if interested in source images...
A caption challenges blog, where I challenge you!

(Old Muffin Room characters purged; new character list here)
Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Feng » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:03 pm

Blaze wrote:The kimono-clad woman just smiles and nods along with the old Chibi's blathering as she help him up the steps. Occasionally, she chips in with, "Oh, is that so?" and "Ah, how interesting!" What a sweetheart.

"We're here sir," she interjects as they reach the summit. "Although, there seems to be a spot of bother..." she adds, gesturing at the Oni.

The Chibi oohs at the sight of the Oni interacting with the two guards.

"Ohoho! He's a big un' I'll tell you what!" he cackled. "I ain't seen one of em' since the wars with the Puffin years ago."

He eyes the Sensei, his old coot demeanor dropping slightly as he studies her intently.

"So... You're my target then, eh?"

His grin resumes. "Ehehehe! Oho, this ought to be quite a fight, little lady" he says, turning to the girl in the kimono. "Perhaps we ought to find a safe place to observe?"

AmbushCat wrote:
*Ambush salutes her, then makes his way to the dojo's roof to get a better view of the proceedings.*

Ambush is joined on the roof by a chibi dressed in black.

He nods lazily at his roof mate the resumes observing the dojo grounds. On occasion he pulls out a tiny mirror which he uses to signal someone in the distance.
Feng
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Blaze » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:19 am

Knight Errant wrote:"HahaHAHAHAhahaaa! Stakes good! More on line makes the blood rush... the fight harder... the fight more better!" He grips the handle of his weapon harder... his wild smile broad and excited. "Mmm... me guess me could use human shack for skinnies to come and learn to fight sword." He snorts slightly at the thought, and lets go of his weapon, reaching out one of his massive claws to shake. His hand is rough, calloused and scarred. And it feels unusually warm. And despite what she might have expected, the handshake is uncharacteristically gentle.

The deal is struck! The woman guides the oni to the center of the courtyard, training students parting in her wake to make room for the fight. Thankfully, the place is big enough that those who still want to train can find room. "I'll not fight someone without knowing their name. I am Ling, first master of the Iridescent Fist. Declare yourself, challenger!"

She slides into a stance, feet parted and one arm held before her, parallel to the ground while the other is held above her head. A hard-style?

AmbushCat wrote:Joni: *thinks about it for a few seconds, then reluctantly shakes her head* Not at the present time, Master. Maybe in a little bit. Focusing on this and offsetting my gigantism is taking a fair amount of my concentration.

The Blue Ling crosses her arms and considers the maid before her. "'Offsetting your gigantism?' Is this a recent form for you? Perhaps you should take up Bloody Fang Style or Smoldering Inferno Style? Those are more befitting the physically large."

Whatevr89532 wrote:The girl starts thinking as soon as she hears the question. The problem to her is interpreting details not stated directly in the question: How hard the strike is, what kind of damage is meant (deadliness or pain, or something else), and how direct the strike in question is allowed to be--for example, if one had the ability to directly hit the heart or brain without going through any of the flesh and bone normally blocking the way to those organs it would probably be deadly. She decides to try for the most common-sense interpretation of the question instead, and considers how many vital organs are around a person's chest to be potentially pierced by a broken ribcage: Blood in the lungs, the heart of course, a lot of other important organs in there a person doesn't often think about on a day-to-day basis.

This entire mulling-over takes only the time a normal person's snap response to the question would, and barely flashes as a single thought in her eyes, though of course it's hard to say whether an outside observer would be able to tell it happened."Ribcage?"

"17 points," the Silver Ling says, neglecting to mention what is the maximum amount. "I would like you to keep this answer in mind as you watch this."

The two now stand before a scientist and what looks like a student council president. The two have both taken up combat stances and glower at each other, totally still. Both shine faintly with Silver, and the air about them is electric. "The core principle of Polished Mind Style is 'the war is won first in the mind.' By utilizing the intellect-boosting properties of Silver, masters of this style can compute every possible route and outcome of a fight, and choose the optimal one. Let us see your potential to do this; of these two, who do you think will win?"

Feng wrote:The Chibi oohs at the sight of the Oni interacting with the two guards.

"Ohoho! He's a big un' I'll tell you what!" he cackled. "I ain't seen one of em' since the wars with the Puffin years ago."

He eyes the Sensei, his old coot demeanor dropping slightly as he studies her intently.

"So... You're my target then, eh?"

His grin resumes. "Ehehehe! Oho, this ought to be quite a fight, little lady" he says, turning to the girl in the kimono. "Perhaps we ought to find a safe place to observe?"

"Good idea," the kimono woman says, guiding the elderly gent, guiding him to join the gaggle of onlookers. "You're in for a treat sir. I got to fight her before I became her student. She deflected every blow and... well, now I'm more befitting such a technique." She giggles demurely, mouth hidden behind a sleeve.

AmbushCat wrote:*Ambush salutes her, then makes his way to the dojo's roof to get a better view of the proceedings.*

Feng wrote:Ambush is joined on the roof by a chibi dressed in black.

He nods lazily at his roof mate the resumes observing the dojo grounds. On occasion he pulls out a tiny mirror which he uses to signal someone in the distance.

"Heya! What'cha doooin'?" a voice coos before the owner flops between the cat and ninja. It's a ganguro clutching a hose and broom, covered in wet leaves. Someone clearly pulled roof-cleaning duty.
Blaze
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby AmbushCat » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:18 am

Blaze wrote:The Blue Ling crosses her arms and considers the maid before her. "'Offsetting your gigantism?' Is this a recent form for you? Perhaps you should take up Bloody Fang Style or Smoldering Inferno Style? Those are more befitting the physically large."

Joni: *shakes her head* No, this is my default form---I'm naturally Iridescent. *keeps up the conversation as she moves back from the courtyard's center, taking care not to trip* I have to confess, Master: the primary reason I joined your school is because my height compared with my poor eyesight makes me rather clumsy. I was hoping that if I could gain better control of my movements, I wouldn't be so much of a liability.

"Heya! What'cha doooin'?" a voice coos before the owner flops between the cat and ninja. It's a ganguro clutching a hose and broom, covered in wet leaves. Someone clearly pulled roof-cleaning duty.

Relaxing, watching a fight, and just hanging about. You?
Characters.
AmbushCat
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Feng » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:20 am

Blaze wrote:
"Good idea," the kimono woman says, guiding the elderly gent, guiding him to join the gaggle of onlookers. "You're in for a treat sir. I got to fight her before I became her student. She deflected every blow and... well, now I'm more befitting such a technique." She giggles demurely, mouth hidden behind a sleeve.

The old man cackles.

"Is that so Missy?" he says with a grin. "And were you from one of the many dojos the Lightning Lady has crushed?"

He turned his gaze towards the match.

"Interesting.... A hard style eh?

He leaned upon his mop walking stick.

Blaze wrote:

The ninja Chibi stares at the Ganguro girl, attempting to conceal his signal mirror.

".... Bird watching....." he mutters lazily... hands slowly reaching towards his utility belt.
Feng
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Whatevr89532 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:12 am

The wolf-girl is used to using technology as a bit of a crutch in some cases, such as thorough physiological analysis, so she's not as well-practiced in that realm; it's not like she knows these people well enough to guess what skill level they're at, either. Still, she reasons that someone still in school would normally have a lot less experience and knowledge to work with in the first place than a scientist would. It's just surface appearances, and maybe they're just dressed that way as a misleading ruse, but without anything else to go on she points hesitantly at the scientist-looking one. The expression looks inadvertently cute, look a child pointing out what kind of popsicle they want on the side of an ice cream truck.

Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Knight Errant » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:59 pm

"HehehHAHAhahah! You want name? Fine! Call me Flex Brickjaw!" He stomps a foot... flexing his alarmingly-sized muscles. Before taking his kanabo and stretching. His neck cracking as he twists it side to side. "Me make sure you not bleed out on floor." He grins. "Much."

And with that, he takes a step forwards... his spiked club whipping out with alarming speed in a wide arc towards the girl in front of him.
O Muse!

Image Image

Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby AmbushCat » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:52 pm

Knight Errant wrote:"HehehHAHAhahah! You want name? Fine! Call me Flex Brickjaw!" He stomps a foot... flexing his alarmingly-sized muscles. Before taking his kanabo and stretching. His neck cracking as he twists it side to side. "Me make sure you not bleed out on floor." He grins. "Much."

*murmurs to himself* Flex Brickjaw. Pump Sideiron. Gristle McThornbody. Buff Drinklots. Slab Bulkhead...
Characters.
AmbushCat
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Blaze » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:02 am

AmbushCat wrote:Joni: *shakes her head* No, this is my default form---I'm naturally Iridescent. *keeps up the conversation as she moves back from the courtyard's center, taking care not to trip* I have to confess, Master: the primary reason I joined your school is because my height compared with my poor eyesight makes me rather clumsy. I was hoping that if I could gain better control of my movements, I wouldn't be so much of a liability.

The Blue Ling nods once, a look of understanding on her face. "Then you seek grace, not strength. Let's see... Iridescent, you say? Tell me of your other personalities. Perhaps a clue lies therein to find the best way to go about this."

She puts an arm around Joni's shoulder and guides her out of earshot from the other training students. "I understand if it's a sensitive matter. Be as discrete as you like."

Feng wrote:The old man cackles.

"Is that so Missy?" he says with a grin. "And were you from one of the many dojos the Lightning Lady has crushed?"

He turned his gaze towards the match.

"Interesting.... A hard style eh?

He leaned upon his mop walking stick.

"Mmhm~! I was the top student at the Scattering Petal Dojo. When she beat my old master, I rushed in with the Sakura in a Spring Breeze Flurry. She... well, I wouldn't be like this if she hadn't bested me!"

She seems okay with it though, and she quiets down to watch the fight.

Feng wrote:The ninja Chibi stares at the Ganguro girl, attempting to conceal his signal mirror.

".... Bird watching....." he mutters lazily... hands slowly reaching towards his utility belt.

AmbushCat wrote:Relaxing, watching a fight, and just hanging about. You?

"Bird watchin' huh? I dunno, I think boy watching is more entertaining~" the ganguro says with a sly grin. She turns and smiles at Ambush. "Oh, Master busted me trying to sneak a boy into my room, so now I have to clean the roofs. Totally worth it though, what a stud~"

She finally looks down and sees things unfold. "Oh man, a fight? Oh, that guy has no idea what's coming. Gonna be a shame to lose him though, see those pecs!"

Whatevr89532 wrote:The wolf-girl is used to using technology as a bit of a crutch in some cases, such as thorough physiological analysis, so she's not as well-practiced in that realm; it's not like she knows these people well enough to guess what skill level they're at, either. Still, she reasons that someone still in school would normally have a lot less experience and knowledge to work with in the first place than a scientist would. It's just surface appearances, and maybe they're just dressed that way as a misleading ruse, but without anything else to go on she points hesitantly at the scientist-looking one. The expression looks inadvertently cute, look a child pointing out what kind of popsicle they want on the side of an ice cream truck.

Silver Ling smirks knowingly and says, "23 points. Banking on age and experience is usually safe. Not to mention the improvements to strength and reach that come with being older. Watch closely."

Finally, the scientist and student council president break their staring contest and go at it! It's a highly calculated exchange of blows, each one perfectly deflected followed by an attack that is also deflected. It's like watching a game of speed-chess on fast forward, with neither side giving an inch.

And then something unexpected happens.

The schoolgirl, either out of ignorance, recklessness, or plain dumb luck, launches an attack the scientist wasn't expecting. A cartwheel going to the side, with her foot catching the scientist around the head when she was expecting a hook to her liver. She staggers, glasses clattering to the floor as the schoolgirl recovers, and moves in to continue the exchange. The scientist fights back, having obviously factors the loss of her glasses into her combat calculations, but she begins to give ground, until the schoolgirl finally brings her down with a leg sweep.

"So, what do you think happened?" Ling asks the wolfgirl?

Knight Errant wrote:"HehehHAHAhahah! You want name? Fine! Call me Flex Brickjaw!" He stomps a foot... flexing his alarmingly-sized muscles. Before taking his kanabo and stretching. His neck cracking as he twists it side to side. "Me make sure you not bleed out on floor." He grins. "Much."

And with that, he takes a step forwards... his spiked club whipping out with alarming speed in a wide arc towards the girl in front of him.

Ling stands ready, her aura flaring purple... before starting to shift to indigo. The club gets closer, closer... and she suddenly throws her hands out, speaking in a softer, demure voice. "Blooming Wallflower Style... Cringe of the Fearstruck."

Her palms slam into the club. Were it any other time and place, her arms would break under the impact. But instead, it is the club that breaks, shatters into pieces which become flower petals that scatter over the courtyard. And then Ling is on the move, running towards the oni in what looks like a frightened girlish trot, but played on fast-forward. Suddenly, she is before him, the remains of his club that he holds shrinking, going from wood to metal. It is now a resplendent golden scepter, the head embedded with red and purple jewels.

"Blooming Wallflower Style... Flailing of the Condemned"

Ling's arms begin to spin, fists bunched. It's like the panicked lashing-out of some meek captive. But each of those swings hurts like a brand, pounding against the oni's abs, every blow seemingly softening the dense muscle, making the towering combatant shrink.
Blaze
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby AmbushCat » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:55 am

Blaze wrote:The Blue Ling nods once, a look of understanding on her face. "Then you seek grace, not strength. Let's see... Iridescent, you say? Tell me of your other personalities. Perhaps a clue lies therein to find the best way to go about this."

She puts an arm around Joni's shoulder and guides her out of earshot from the other training students. "I understand if it's a sensitive matter. Be as discrete as you like."

Joni: *looks around, then smiles at Ling gratefully* Thank you. And... it would be best if I showed you.

*Joni looks around to make sure no one else is watching, then reaches into a pocket on her apron, withdrawing a small audio/video player. Powering it on, she selects the lone audio file on it and hits the Play button. A sound like that of a whoosh/hum combo is heard; in fact, anyone who's played the classic Mega Man games will recognize it immediately.*

*Meantime, Joni has morphed into her first form upon hearing the sound.*

Joni: First, we have Jennifer. Wise, kind to a fault, and looking for love in all the wrong places; has had dozens of crushes that have never went anywhere.

*Click. Whoosh. Second form, minus the motorcycle.*

Joni: *beaming grin* The rampaging Ayumi, yo! Rude and crass motorcyclist extraordinaire, born wanderer, friend to all children, and someone the average punk wouldn't want to mess with!

*Click. Whoosh. Third form.

Joni: Jill, the enigmatic soft-spoken elf. Has a hidden psychotic side that manifests itself when she's under too much stress. Hide the couch cushions; she has a mean throwing arm.

*Click. Whoosh. Fourth form.

Joni: Hannah, the aspiring athlete. Bit of a sore loser. If Jill's throwing arm was mean, Hannah's is downright vicious. A true professional off the field.

*Click. Whoosh. Second, fourth again, then finally her fifth form.*

Joni: Rosemary, at your service. Ice cream maker and part-time baker. Has a phobia of spiders. Pines over a non-existent boyfriend that supposedly went missing, but don't tell me I said that. Has a large poetry collection.

*Click. Whoosh. First, fifth, third, and finally sixth form.*

Joni: Jacqueline. Short and to the point. Despite appearances, has the credentials to be a good boss. Also a bit bossy. Has guns, and hates being touched.

*Click, click, click, whoosh, aaaand back to normal.*

Joni: And finally, me as you know me: Joni, the hard-working klutz from Circe's Manor. This is my default form, and the one that shows up on my Muffinville ID card. My eyes are poor, but my hearing is sharp.

She finally looks down and sees things unfold. "Oh man, a fight? Oh, that guy has no idea what's coming. Gonna be a shame to lose him though, see those pecs!"

*Ambush's voice shifts to something more feminine, dry and raspy.*

I see them, alright, but compared to my husband I'm just not impressed.
Characters.
AmbushCat
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Feng » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:01 am

Blaze wrote:
"Mmhm~! I was the top student at the Scattering Petal Dojo. When she beat my old master, I rushed in with the Sakura in a Spring Breeze Flurry. She... well, I wouldn't be like this if she hadn't bested me!"

She seems okay with it though, and she quiets down to watch the fight.

The old man silently watches as the Brickjaw forcibly swings his club at Ling, expecting the Martial Artist to roll out of the way or to jump. He is quite shocked, indeed, to see her shatter the kanabo with a single blow.

"Smoke preserve us!" he almost cries as he observes the woman's brutal counter attack on the Oni.

Yet beneath the demeanor of panic, the old Chibi is planning, carefully assessing the woman's style and how she moves to attack the Oni.

Blaze wrote:
"Bird watchin' huh? I dunno, I think boy watching is more entertaining~" the ganguro says with a sly grin. She turns and smiles at Ambush. "Oh, Master busted me trying to sneak a boy into my room, so now I have to clean the roofs. Totally worth it though, what a stud~"

The ninja mutters something about obnoxious airheads.... His hand procuring a small sack of bird seed which he then tosses at the girl's chest with the precision and speed expected of a Shinobi.

".... Hato no Jutsu...." he softly murmurs.
Feng
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Whatevr89532 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:45 am

"Well, the most obvious turning point was the loss of her glasses," starts the wolf-girl, adjusting her own pair subconsciously. "That appears to have resulted from either the 'scientist' not factoring in the possibility of what would normally be a mistake, her opponent planning the apparent mistake to catch her off-guard, or both."

Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Knight Errant » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:29 pm

Slab Bulkhead growls as his weapon is shattered... and his stomach is flailed at. The hits doing surprising damage for what they look like. He goes to grab one of her flailing arms in his heavy claws... the other letting go of the scepter as he swipes downwards with his slashing claws. Red mist leaking out of his jaws as his eyes burn.
O Muse!

Image Image

Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to the Muffinverse