Tribulations

A land of wonders and oddities, with change around every corner. Jump right in!

Moderators: Mendi-chan, Kether

Re: Tribulations

Postby KonokoHasano » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:30 am

"Is that right? How interesting..." Abba says, rubbing his chin.

"... how would you like to help bring an end to this gang war once and for all?"

"Well... it'd definitely make things peaceful again!" She said, blinking a little and thinking. "And there's just something so silly about it all, you know? How would I do that?"
Jump up and fly!
My characters
KonokoHasano
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Blaze » Fri May 31, 2013 5:54 am

[Well... thread seems to be dying, but as long as one person is still interested, I'll continue!]

KonokoHasano wrote:"Well... it'd definitely make things peaceful again!" She said, blinking a little and thinking. "And there's just something so silly about it all, you know? How would I do that?"

"First, let us take a sample of your blood. Maybe we can create an anti-mental changes vaccine of some sort. Second, go fly a scouting mission for us, get caught and 'converted' but continue to report to us in secret. Because the converted tend to wind up totally loyal, they won't be expecting a spy." Abba explains with a sly grin.
Blaze
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Jello Shot Mischa » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:45 am

Blaze wrote:Davidson smirks at the doctor.

"Oh, nothing much. Helping to keep the gang war going, keeping the gangs at each others throats, as my employer intends. You guys are smart right, you must have figured that there was some third faction at work here."

Doctor Elison quirks an eyebrow at Davidson's smirk, but simply shrugs. "I'm afraid I'm just a doctor, so I don't know much about the strategic situation... but what you say does make sense. So you're a mercenary, then?" She chuckles. "I hope you're getting paid enough."

The gurney is wheeled into an operating room, where a variety of machines are ready and waiting. "Now, Mr. Davidson, with your consent we're going to begin treatment. Please remain calm." Nodding to one of the techs, they begin preparing an anaesthetic.

Blaze wrote:The boy smiles and shakes his head.

"Not really. it's hard to take bad guys seriously when most of them are pretty ladies.

His father gives an embarrassed cough at that.

Doctor Serena chuckles at the boy. "What, you don't think pretty ladies can be tough, or scary? The lieutenant can be pretty tough if she tries..." She winks at the young boy as she continues her examination.

Blaze wrote:The nun gives a nod.

"What you said, and more. You see, celestial beings need faith to survive, while demons need fear. Fear is much easier to inspire than faith, so we must artificially create faith by creating holy men and women."

"Hmmm, I see..." Lieutenant Morgiana murmurs. "So it's largely a resource conflict, where the resources in question are human emotions. Interesting..." She thinks for a moment. "I would have thought faith would be somewhat antipodal to fear... traditionally, those who were afraid often sought solace in faith, as it provided meaning and explanations to the unknown. Compassion, charity, encouragement... these are some of the more positive emotions associated with faith, and can be argued to be bulwarks against fear. If you are afraid of being alone, faith offers love and companionship. If you are afraid of starving or being homeless, faith offers charity and support."

She pauses again. "I suppose I must be misunderstanding the nature of the faith that you require. Could you explain it in more detail? The CTC has made rather extensive studies of memetic propagation. Perhaps we can assist you in finding an optimal means for acquiring the emotions you require."
Jello Shot Mischa
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby KonokoHasano » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:47 pm

"First, let us take a sample of your blood. Maybe we can create an anti-mental changes vaccine of some sort. Second, go fly a scouting mission for us, get caught and 'converted' but continue to report to us in secret. Because the converted tend to wind up totally loyal, they won't be expecting a spy." Abba explains with a sly grin.

"Cool, this sounds exciting!" Marcia said, laughing a little. "Covert operations and infiltration and such." Blinks for a moment. "Ah jeez, I hate needles." Pouts.
Jump up and fly!
My characters
KonokoHasano
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Mendi-chan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:04 am

((A ninja returns the the battlefield!))

*Mendo glances at Able and nods his head*
You do what you think you have too in order to insure the safety of those involved, I only ask that you save that strike team for a last resort. If we attract too much attention it'll quickly become a mission based around escape rather than intel.
That being said, let's try and find those two. It's our only lead at this point.
*Crouching down... he speeds off in the direction where the CTC had spotted Jean and Logos*
Husband to Mid Boss
Mendi-chan
MSF's Little Sister
MSF's Little Sister

Postby Blaze » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:54 am

Jello Shot Mischa wrote:Doctor Elison quirks an eyebrow at Davidson's smirk, but simply shrugs. "I'm afraid I'm just a doctor, so I don't know much about the strategic situation... but what you say does make sense. So you're a mercenary, then?" She chuckles. "I hope you're getting paid enough."

The gurney is wheeled into an operating room, where a variety of machines are ready and waiting. "Now, Mr. Davidson, with your consent we're going to begin treatment. Please remain calm." Nodding to one of the techs, they begin preparing an anaesthetic.

-----

Doctor Serena chuckles at the boy. "What, you don't think pretty ladies can be tough, or scary? The lieutenant can be pretty tough if she tries..." She winks at the young boy as she continues her examination.

-----

"Hmmm, I see..." Lieutenant Morgiana murmurs. "So it's largely a resource conflict, where the resources in question are human emotions. Interesting..." She thinks for a moment. "I would have thought faith would be somewhat antipodal to fear... traditionally, those who were afraid often sought solace in faith, as it provided meaning and explanations to the unknown. Compassion, charity, encouragement... these are some of the more positive emotions associated with faith, and can be argued to be bulwarks against fear. If you are afraid of being alone, faith offers love and companionship. If you are afraid of starving or being homeless, faith offers charity and support."

She pauses again. "I suppose I must be misunderstanding the nature of the faith that you require. Could you explain it in more detail? The CTC has made rather extensive studies of memetic propagation. Perhaps we can assist you in finding an optimal means for acquiring the emotions you require."

"Pay's pretty good. Employer's an heir of some big family in paranormal combat or something, that's where we got the special bullets." Davidson says. He glances at the anesthetic with a look of relief.

"Oh good, now I can drop the chipper snitch act. I'm dying here, maybe literally even."

-----

"Oh, sure they can be! But there are a lot of pretty ladies in Muffinville who aren't, so... I dunno." the boy says, deflating a little.

-----

The nun mulls over Morgiana's words for a moment.

"Well, proof undermines faith. Certainly fear generates faith when there is no proof of what you have faith in. But here in Muffinville, the existence of celestial and infernal realms are a fact. And considering that innocents have been caught up in our battles... well, they do not have much faith in us." the nun says with a slight sigh.

KonokoHasano wrote:"Cool, this sounds exciting!" Marcia said, laughing a little. "Covert operations and infiltration and such." Blinks for a moment. "Ah jeez, I hate needles." Pouts.

"Who said anything about needles?" Abba says. A small portal appears over Marcia's cheek, a sharp tendril emerging and lashing out, slicing it open! He wiggles his fingers and a sample of blood flows out, into a glass vial that he corks.

Mendi-chan wrote:((A ninja returns the the battlefield!))

*Mendo glances at Able and nods his head*
You do what you think you have too in order to insure the safety of those involved, I only ask that you save that strike team for a last resort. If we attract too much attention it'll quickly become a mission based around escape rather than intel.
That being said, let's try and find those two. It's our only lead at this point.
*Crouching down... he speeds off in the direction where the CTC had spotted Jean and Logos*

Alex beams and runs after her boss, leaping from trees to buildings with surprising agility.
Blaze
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Jello Shot Mischa » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:51 pm

Blaze wrote:"Pay's pretty good. Employer's an heir of some big family in paranormal combat or something, that's where we got the special bullets." Davidson says. He glances at the anesthetic with a look of relief.

"Oh good, now I can drop the chipper snitch act. I'm dying here, maybe literally even."

The doctor nods at Davidson, before the techs proceed with the anaesthesia. "Very well... we'll begin treating his wounds," Doctor Ellison says to the assistants, before pausing to upload a copy of the discussion she had with Davidson to the CTC's databanks for analysis.

Blaze wrote:"Oh, sure they can be! But there are a lot of pretty ladies in Muffinville who aren't, so... I dunno." the boy says, deflating a little.

The tech chuckles at that, and tousles the boy's hair. "Well, that just goes to show you what's more important, doesn't it?" she tells him. "Being strong enough to protect things important to you... being intelligent enough to figure things out... being determined enough to stand up for what's right... that's more important than just being pretty or handsome. Right?"

Blaze wrote:The nun mulls over Morgiana's words for a moment.

"Well, proof undermines faith. Certainly fear generates faith when there is no proof of what you have faith in. But here in Muffinville, the existence of celestial and infernal realms are a fact. And considering that innocents have been caught up in our battles... well, they do not have much faith in us." the nun says with a slight sigh.

The lieutenant nods. "That does make sense. So... faith is based in optimism, or pessimism... rather than certainty, a certain trust that things will go one way or the other..." She gently pats the nun on the shoulder. "There, there. I'm sure you've been trying hard... but you may wish to evaluate your methods, since they don't seem to be working that well for you."

She pauses a moment, cybernetically transferring the recording she made of the interrogation to the CTC's databanks for back-up and analysis.

Mendi-chan wrote:*Mendo glances at Able and nods his head*

Blaze wrote:Alex beams and runs after her boss, leaping from trees to buildings with surprising agility.

Abel nods, and follows after both Mendo and Blaze, teleporting from point to point to keep up with their ninja agility.

Meanwhile, elsewhere...

Deep within the CTC's Crisis Command Center, Commander Pleasance studies the displays. While some of them display the dispersion and status of the CTC's multitude of assets spread around Muffinville, the globe, and in orbit beyond, many of them currently focus on the issue of the disorder within Muffinville.

"This is... frustrating, to say the least," she murmurs.

"Sir?" her aide Alex asks.

With a sigh, the commander leans back in her seat. "Certainly, we could just let Muffinville collapse into anarchy until the people cry out for our intervention... although it's just as likely they never would, and instead just criticize us for not intervening."

"Well, the current situation is strengthening the memes in place within Academy City," Alex points out.

Pleasance nods. "Still... we've run into trouble before, putting our own benefit ahead of that of the populace." She studies the displays again, glancing as new information pours into the databanks and is analyzed. "Hmm... so... it would seem the projected fifth column is actually a third faction agitating things behind the scenes."

"That would be consistent with some of the theories behind the original attacks, given that both parties accused the other of setting the explosives."

The commander nods again. "But... a big family in paranormal combat? Do we have any projections on who it could be?"

Alex frowns, and quickly skims through the results from various AI analyses. "So far... there are a few local families that could meet the rather vague standard of 'a family involved in paranormal combat', but... none seem to have a high correlation to the nature of the original attacks."

"Hmm... local families?"

"Well... ones within the Muffinville and Pastrylands areas. With the near-total loss of the Western Continent and the lack of significant communities outside the Pastrylands, well..."

Pleasance frowns. "... I wonder if someone outside this setting is involved."

"Sir?"

The commander glances at Alex. "Our own assets are spread over multiple dimensions. A large number of the local H- and D-class entities originated from other worlds. Perhaps someone else from outside has started interfering in local events..."

"Why?"

"To establish a foothold? To cause trouble and reduce the possibility of resistance? Who knows... but expand the search to all known extradimensional ties for local entities."

Alex nods. "It'll take a bit longer..."

"I suppose we'll just have to buy some time, then." Commander Pleasance studies the displays. "If they want to stir up increasing disorder... I guess we should try to do something to stall their plans." She taps her fingers on the desk. "We could mobilize an expeditionary force... give the gangs something else to worry about, rather than threatening the community. On the other hand..."

"There's a sizable risk of collateral damage, and this third faction would likely eagerly take advantage of the chaos."

Commander Pleasance nods. "So... an alternative..." Her mind flickers over the reports stored in the databanks, pausing upon the interrogation of the nun. "... Hmm."

"Sir?"

"... Contact the Color Isolation and Containment Facility. Based on the most recent reports, it's been long enough. If faith is what is driving the gangs to this war, then I suppose it's time to reveal to them the SAVIOR..."
Jello Shot Mischa
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby KonokoHasano » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:12 pm

"Who said anything about needles?" Abba says. A small portal appears over Marcia's cheek, a sharp tendril emerging and lashing out, slicing it open! He wiggles his fingers and a sample of blood flows out, into a glass vial that he corks.

"...." Just stands there for a few moments, taking it in. "Well that... uh... was an experience..."
Jump up and fly!
My characters
KonokoHasano
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Mendi-chan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:23 am

*Mendo narrows his eyes as they approach the slum where the mercenaries had last been spotted. Any passing angels or demons are given a wide berth by the group led by the leader of the Muffin ninja clan, the shinobi careful not to allow any chance for anyone to believe that they had taken a side. His right eye glowing green for a moment he attempts to scan ahead to ascertain their exactly location and identify any notable energy signatures*
Remember, no one do anything without my permission on this one. it's of the utmost importance that we proceed with caution.
Husband to Mid Boss
Mendi-chan
MSF's Little Sister
MSF's Little Sister

Postby Blaze » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:18 am

Jello Shot Mischa wrote:*Stuuuuuuuuuuuff*

Davidson's face quickly becomes dreamy, eyes unfocused as the anesthesia kicks in, slumping on the bed.

---

The boys eyes sparkle at the tech's words. "Yeah! Like you and those soldiers outside, right?"

---

"Not my call." the nun says, sounding oddly lucid despite the drugs. Seems that has been drilled into her.

-----

SHould the CTC conduct the search, they would likely receive several hits on off world paranatural-fighting families, and assuming that they are arranged by number of hits, they might not notice or find relevant the few scraps they have on Blaze's family. The information they had would likely only have a few comments on how she ran away from them and has a low opinion of them in general.

KonokoHasano wrote:"...." Just stands there for a few moments, taking it in. "Well that... uh... was an experience..."

"Quick and efficient, no? You had better get going Miss Spy." Abba says with a grin.

Mendi-chan wrote:*Mendo narrows his eyes as they approach the slum where the mercenaries had last been spotted. Any passing angels or demons are given a wide berth by the group led by the leader of the Muffin ninja clan, the shinobi careful not to allow any chance for anyone to believe that they had taken a side. His right eye glowing green for a moment he attempts to scan ahead to ascertain their exactly location and identify any notable energy signatures*
Remember, no one do anything without my permission on this one. it's of the utmost importance that we proceed with caution.

"Okaaaaaaaaay~!" Alex says with a smile as they arrive on the scene!

Jean and Logos are in an alley, back to back, demons on each end and above them. Occasionally, they'll launch an attack. Rushing the alley does nothing, Jean and Logos managing to hold them at bay, and the alley is just wide enough to dodge projectiles. Both groups seem tired though,a nd the first to recover enough to formulate a plan will likely be the victor.
Blaze
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Mendi-chan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:01 am

*The ninja frowns... With both sides absorbed into combat it would be difficult to do what he needed to here. Perhaps he could just snatch the two up and retreat back towards the village. Of course, there would remain the question of what would happen here. It didn't seem as though there were any others fighting. Without Logos and Jean to fight, the demons should just disperse... No enemies gave them no reason to be here.*
I think we can grab them and go... But I'm open to suggestions. Alex? Abel?
Husband to Mid Boss
Mendi-chan
MSF's Little Sister
MSF's Little Sister

Postby KonokoHasano » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:24 pm

"Quick and efficient, no? You had better get going Miss Spy." Abba says with a grin.

"Err... yes sir." Nods and runs off... but pokes her head back in. "... where exactly is it I need to fly over again?" She asked with a bit of a laugh. "Just fly around where they are?"
Jump up and fly!
My characters
KonokoHasano
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Blaze » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:13 pm

Mendi-chan wrote:*The ninja frowns... With both sides absorbed into combat it would be difficult to do what he needed to here. Perhaps he could just snatch the two up and retreat back towards the village. Of course, there would remain the question of what would happen here. It didn't seem as though there were any others fighting. Without Logos and Jean to fight, the demons should just disperse... No enemies gave them no reason to be here.*
I think we can grab them and go... But I'm open to suggestions. Alex? Abel?

"Grabgrabgrab~! I can blast the bad guys and draw attention with clones!" Alex says, hopping from one foot to the other impatiently.

KonokoHasano wrote:"Err... yes sir." Nods and runs off... but pokes her head back in. "... where exactly is it I need to fly over again?" She asked with a bit of a laugh. "Just fly around where they are?"

"Just fly in general. Try to keep out of sight of other demons, they might try to save you if they see you getting 'captured.' THis kind of operation works best when your own side doesn't know what's happening." Abba says, tapping his nose with a wink
Blaze
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Mendi-chan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:33 pm

*Nods*
I'll leave you too it!
*He disappears before her eyes, suddenly behind Logos and Jean... and a moment later they all seem to disappear. Mendo had them both by the scruff of their outfits*
Don't say anything until we're out of harms way. We're getting out of here!
*They're moving back in the direction they came, towards the village*
Husband to Mid Boss
Mendi-chan
MSF's Little Sister
MSF's Little Sister

Postby KonokoHasano » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:50 pm

"Just fly in general. Try to keep out of sight of other demons, they might try to save you if they see you getting 'captured.' THis kind of operation works best when your own side doesn't know what's happening." Abba says, tapping his nose with a wink

"Dude, no wonder you're the leader. You're very smart!" She nods and proceeds to run out of the place, and starts to fly around, making sure to keep out of sight of other demons.
Jump up and fly!
My characters
KonokoHasano
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

PreviousNext

Return to the Muffinverse