An old project returns

A land of wonders and oddities, with change around every corner. Jump right in!

Moderators: Mendi-chan, Kether

An old project returns

Postby Raleigh » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:25 pm

*Raleigh sighs as he sits back down on a stump he is using as a seat just a few steps inside one of the forests outside the town.*

I suppose its time to return to an old project. My student and I tried our best to chart the complete set but things happened and certain aspects have been reconsidered since then. Much like science decided to reclassify Pluto I suppose some of the elements will need reclassification. *He figures he has done enough exposition for now so that those interested will pop in.*

Let us start with the current listings. *Before him in the air appears a form of holographic interface depicting a set of rows and columns. Each of them containing a single word and capable of being selected by ones intent to see what information is within. The current spread sheet/data base displays quite a few things already.*

Top Row: Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Light, Darkness, Wood, Metal
Second Row: Life, Death, Chaos, Cosmos, Creation, Destruction, Reality, Unreality?
Third Row: Nature?, Heat, Ice, Lightning, Crystal, Sonic, Atomic, Physical
Fourth Row: Sun/Solar, Moon/Lunar, Star, Meteor, Comet, Zodiac?, Constellation, Asteroid
Fifth Row: Ether, Void, Astral, Spirit, Time, Space, Shadow, Gravity
Sixth Row: Divine, Holy, Demonic, Totemic, Infernal, Blood, Flesh, Bone
Seventh Row: Animal?, Mythic?, Chimeric?, Form Shaping, Poison, Psychic, Acid, Lust
Eighth Row: Cosmic, All-mighty, Fantastic/Fantasy, Dream, Laser?, Steam, Glass, Fusion/Nuclear/Fission
Ninth Row: Word?, Runic, Sigils, Weather, Phantom/Ghost, Soul, Realm

Hm... I know I have more to add. Still, let us see what the observers will have to add. Also, this is a nice thing for those that have asked what the elements are and this is my current recollection.
Last edited by Raleigh on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
Raleigh
Senpai
Senpai

Re: An old project returns

Postby Feng » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:29 pm

Bones appears, stepping out from the shadow of a young red wood.

"Whatcha doing Mr. Cloak?"
Feng
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Raleigh » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:32 pm

Returning not only to one of my personally favorite projects but doing what I tend to do. I typify a lot of the magic used by the mortal races and the like. Consider this a small smattering of a few of the elements.
Raleigh
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Feng » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:38 pm

"So its like a mystical periodic table then?" inquires Bones, leaning in.
Feng
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Raleigh » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:41 pm

After a fashion yes. I know there is some bleed over in some of these elements listed but there are some spells uniquely of that element all the same. *He chuckles.* And here most people only thought there were only eight.
Raleigh
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Feng » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:46 pm

"It depends on the culture I guess" laughs Bones. "The Chibi tend to stick to the five classical chinese elements of Earth, Fire, Water, Wood, and Metal. I suspect cultural diffusion is the cause of that."
Feng
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Raleigh » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:47 pm

Most use the classical Western version with light and darkness tacked on. I consider if you are just doing the basics you have to unify both classical element charts at least.
Raleigh
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Feng » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:54 pm

"Should you also include the elements of sulfur, mercury, and salt? Those are quite popular in certain circles too."

He studies the chart with interest.

"So, what exactly is the purpose of this chart? I doubt you're just writing this down for posterity. You seem like the type to possess an eidetic memory, the type of person who doesn't need to constantly reinforce the fundamentals in their head over and over like us everyday folk do. Is it like some programming code, this project of yours?"
Feng
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Raleigh » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:57 pm

You could say its me reevaluating the values and altering them as needed. I have several jobs as has been revealed over time. One of the most important ones, aside from protecting Yggdrisil, is to control and disseminate knowledge both arcane and mundane in my assigned portion of the multiverse. I am setting this up so you lot can have some say and pull in what the results will be for those I'm in charge of.
Raleigh
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Feng » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:03 pm

"How nice of you," mutters Bones, clearly confused. "So... if I'm not mistaken, you're giving us the opportunity to mess with reality yes? The opportunity to make the laws of physics are personal plaything?" o.o
Feng
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Raleigh » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:05 pm

We make the laws of physics our personal playthings every day here. I am offering you a chance to possibly change some aspects of magic itself. It must ever evolve lest it die after all. Its also up for educational purposes for some people as I have been asked for a listing of this.
Raleigh
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Feng » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:14 pm

"Interesting" says Bones, taking a photo of the chart with a camera. "Sooo what would happen if I were to write the three alchemic elements in row one? Sulfur, salt, and mercury?"
Feng
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Raleigh » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:22 pm

That would add them to the list and set into effect the creation of such spells. I actually have a few that use those that already exist that would copy under those headings as well as new ones that I can generate a base set for. That is then circulated amongst target mortal races and they will alter and add spells to the element that will be recollected and added to the list and redistributed and so on. I would prefer you add them to their own row though if possible. I'm trying to keep the chart clean looking by eight to a row.

Keep in mind this list isn't even including the distinction of schools of magic but purely elemental association nor is it keeping track of cultural limiters. Technically mixed elemental magics should be almost its own element come to think of it. I've found a disturbing lack of people who can use conflicting elements simultaneously.
Raleigh
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Raleigh » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:24 am

Hm... shall I add those alchemic elements you mentioned? If so I must ask for some clarification on salt. Do you solely mean sodium chloride or do you mean all salts?

Hm.. should I consider speed or swiftness and element or leave it spread around? Perhaps add chemical as an element and remove acid or alter acid to instead read as corrosive... *He continues to look up at the list pondering changes.* Should form shaping and possibly chimeric contain dna/genetics or should it be its own elemental? Totemic is a broad term.... perhaps break it down or rename it to sympathetic?
Raleigh
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Feng » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:40 am

"Hmmm.... I wouldn't know. If I remember, salt was used by the ancient alchemist as a symbol of solidity."

Bones ponders this some more.

"What about combinations of elements? You know mist, steam, dust, smoke, lava, and mud?"
Feng
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Next

Return to the Muffinverse