[MSFOOC] MSF RPG system discussion

[Placeholder]

Moderator: Mistress Guendolen

[MSFOOC] MSF RPG system discussion

Postby muffinstud » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:12 pm

So, a pen and paper role-playing game of... well, this whole place is currently on 4chan. It's about time we started using the tools available to us.

The system is fairly easy to implement, is tailor made for posting on boards and IRC, and can even handle combat. Even if you don't want to play, rolling up a character is all kinds of interesting and fun.

Accidental Magical Girl RPG
Current link for general rules: https://yuki.la/tg/47765061

Character Creation:
Core rules: https://i.yuki.la/tg/1465875199023.pdf
Specialization spell list: https://titanpad.com/FUjuIO6cfH
Automatic Character Generator: http://orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=xvJyAbps

Add-ons for extra customization:
Monster Girls: https://i.yuki.la/tg/1465875287230.pdf
Fusion Dance Power Up: https://i.yuki.la/tg/1465876114338.pdf
Puchuu Customization: https://i.yuki.la/tg/1465876186040.pdf
Patron Customization: https://i.yuki.la/tg/1465874747136.pdf

Bestiaries:
Basic monsters/creation: https://titanpad.com/AMGCbestiary
Bestiary 1: https://titanpad.com/IiGPFWpBR1
Bestiary 2: https://titanpad.com/21L6MJri6n
Statless Monsters: http://pastebin.com/bd6KD7j0
Zodies: http://pastebin.com/zqqXhqaj
1d100 Random Encounter Table: https://titanpad.com/pItozqxfrz

This system is also inherently capable of handling multiple universes, so it's perfectly able for characters created using this system from different threads to meet each other in an alternate social thread.

For example, you can make your campaign thread, where adventures happen. There could also be a school thread where the different characters from threads can live out their alter egos, or a Karaoke Ice Cream Bar where they could socialize and complain about the hands of fate in their lives.

Think of it as a more structured version of the Muffinverse.

Feel free to post here to discuss the formation of new threads for things, or character/campaign concepts you may want to bring in.

[MSFOOC] Use this tag to indicate an Out Of Character/interest/discussion thread.
[MSFRP] Use this for In Character campaign/social threads.
Last edited by muffinstud on Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river, when you're living...in a van down by the river!" --Matt Foley, motivational speaker
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Re: [MSFOOC] MSF RPG system discussion

Postby Abillioncats » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:38 am

This looks pretty interesting, but do we have to use actual dice and stuff cause that seems really confusing .-.
Kitty Kennel (aka my roster of characters)
Abillioncats
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby muffinstud » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:42 am

The dice are entirely optional. If you'd like to have a more pen and paper, old-school RPG feel, the dice are there.

But if you'd prefer to focus more on character stuff and the cinematic side of the fights, then you can just use the stats on your character as a guideline to what you can do and how well you do it.

Heck, the listing of abilities for the specializations isn't really complete. You can just make it up as you go along.
"Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river, when you're living...in a van down by the river!" --Matt Foley, motivational speaker
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby muffinstud » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:35 am

As an example of what the system has to offer... I present to you my first character. I made her using the point buy option instead of rolling, but... I still love her. ;P

You don't have to go as all out with your character bio like I did. You can leave it blank and figure out what makes your character as you go along. You can be married to the numbers on your profile, or you can use them as a loose approximation of what you're good at and what you're not. If anything, it's a good tool to help you stay true to your character as you do freeform RP.

I also took some extra options to flesh out the animal familiar that guides this particular girl. That is also completely optional.

======================================================

Magical Girl Pretty Officer
Powered Form
Civilian Form
Theme Song

Stats:

Age 16
(Stats in parenthesis are for base form)
14 (4) STR
08 (3) AGI
12 (4) VIT
06 (3) MAG
04 (3) LCK

Abilities:

Overdeveloped
Water
Melee: Book (Aerodynamic)
Uniform (Reinforced)
Regeneration
Dual Weapon (Magic, Ley Line)
Fake Parents
Gifted
Environmental Sealing
Big Damn Hero
Leitmotif

Puchuu:
Ta-nya

Given
Pet
Experimenting
Correcting a Mistake
Competitive
Healing
Teleportation
Flight
Unfamiliar with customs

Bio:

Jerry Falkirk was the bookish sort. He hadn't made too many friends, but he could live with that. He was more content to while away the time in the fantasy and learning of his books. All of that changed, when his estranged aunt died, leaving her pet cat to him. He resented the animal at first, since everyone else had gotten money or real estate. But no, he got her cat. Despite his ill will, he treated the cat well.

And then it started talking to him.

It happened so suddenly. One minute he was trying to convince the cat that it couldn't talk, the next he was surrounded with colorful light and fanciful music. The forty-something bookworm reeled through the lights and sounds... and exited as a sixteen year old girl. The cat, revealing her name as Ta-nya, instructed Jerry on the dire situation. There was evil about, monsters feeding on the increase of negative emotion in the world. She hadn't kept Jerry's aunt busy, hadn't placed in her the sense of urgency necessary. Ta-nya wouldn't fail this time. This time, she would have a champion of love and justice that would forever stand as a beacon in these dark times.

Ta-nya teleported the new girl to an unknown town... where her parents welcomed her with open arms. Claiming that she is Heather Simmons, the girl has no idea who these people are. She does know that they remember her growing up in their household, and that they care for her deeply. Leaving these people, telling them who she really is would only confuse them and make them work harder to bring her to their concept of who she is. And so, in between the struggles of fighting off shadowy monsters and trying to lift people's spirits, she does her homework and helps with the dishes. Lately, she's been made even more self conscious of her new form by the girls in school trying to get her to join the swim club. She is really good at it... but she finds herself gravitating to the more peaceful art club.

Most of her power is reserved for when she is in uniform, commanding the water around her to create barriers to harass her foes as she pummels them into submission. She seems to have near unending reserves of energy in battle, shrugging off most wounds and healing from the rest in short order. However, some of her magic is tied into the books she still loves to read. She has found that if she lets someone borrow one of her books, or leaves it somewhere, she can react to trouble just in time to help.

And while all of this is new and awkward for her... she gets a very satisfying smile whenever she has defeated one of the cruel monsters that plague her town... bringing it one step closer to being a truly happy place.
Last edited by muffinstud on Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Ookalf » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:52 pm

This seemed like fun, so I went and rolled something up. Haven't totally settled on her backstory yet, and I'm not sure if I'm gonna use the Puchuu I got, but for now, here's...

Lucky Clover
Transformed
Untransformed

Stats:
STR: 5 (3)
AGI: 6 (4)
VIT: 7 (3)
MAG: 8 (4)
LCK: 11 (5)

Abilities:
Body: Underdeveloped
Specialty: Plant
Weapon: Mystic: Wand (Enchanted)
Outfit: Skimpy: Leotard (Lucky Charm)
Power: Sizeshift
Perks: (+2 from Gold Coin)
* Wings, Sorcery
* Incognito, Fated, Absolute Direction, Natural Aging
* Snapshots, Fortunate

(I think I figured the stats and everything right...)
Ookalf
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Whatevr89532 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:36 pm

I more or less envisioned a werewolf girl and tried to wade through the "point-buy" option to make a character who matched most closely my idea of what she should be like. Some things are not very well-explained:
-The character creation PDF says you have a base stat of 4 for each stat but I infer this only applies to the transformed state and the actual "base form" stats start at 3, with some specific bonuses capable of improving those?
-The monster girl PDF is really unclear to me on whether all monster girls take a double specialty, get a monstrous motivation, and are weak to the associated things for both specialty, or you can be a monster girl with just one specialty, the weakness of that one only, and no monstrous motivation necessary.

So, where I wasn't sure what the rules are I just pretended they say what I want them to say, since as far as I know we're not really playing magical girl DND with a GM here anyhow.

Jaslyn "Jace" (tentative)

Stats:
STR: (5) 15
AGI: (4) 7
VIT: (4) 10
MAG: (3) 5
LCK: (3) 6

Abilities:
Body Type: Overdeveloped (actually she just looks normal for her age...)
Specialty: Corrupted (see below)
Weapon: Unarmed (claws and fists; I don't understand what any of the enchantments for unarmed translate to in terms of roleplaying so I'm ignoring them)
Outfit: "Uniform" (really just normal clothes)
Power: Regeneration

Perks:
Enhanced Transformation (can't actually get rid of ears/tail, fuzzy hands/feet, or sharp teeth, but can freely change amount of body fur and swap between clawed paws/hands, digitigrade paws/human-like feet)
Monstrous Metamorphosis (when seriously enraged, can go fully beast and wreck everything around her)
Awareness (in the form of heightened hearing/smell)
Training: Martial Arts (becoming a werewolf improved unarmed fighting instincts a bit, nothing fancy)
-Underdog ("dog", get it?)
-Sturdy

Monster Girl Stuff:
Type: Werewolf
Monstrous Motivation: Warrior (has an urge to fight and kill, which is even more dangerous because she is not consciously aware of it)
Beast Specialty => Weakness to metal (actually just silver, really weak to silver.)
Monster Girl Perks:
-Bestial (looks wolfy; can't stop having ears/tail/sharp teeth or fuzzy, paw-padded hands+feet)
-Tooth and Claw (pretty self-explanatory)
-Inheritance (injured opponents can rarely undergo a monstrous metamorphosis into "temporary werewolves"; it doesn't last very long)
-Berserker (injury induces rage, rage makes her strong)
-True Sight (can see in the dark)

Background:
Jason was a directionless nerd, with a wide range of obsessions including superhero comics and movies, video games, card games, D&D, so on, so forth. He went off to college at the age of 18 because he didn't really have any idea what he actually wanted to do in life, and lived through two semesters of either not getting or not enjoying classes before stumbling into a booth being run by what appeared to be a living doll. Something clearly magical like that obviously got his attention, but on top of that the booth was offering "Free Wishes!*" After a short conversation in which Jason demanded to know what the catch was and the doll repeatedly gave vague answers ending with "well, it depends on the wish", he decided to try and wish to be "a superhero--no, wait, a werewolf--no wait, a werewolf superhero!" The doll gave a slight high-pitched laugh and said "well you're a spirited one, aren't you?" It said that wish could be arranged, and that for him, the only conditions were actually succeeding at being a superhero. Despite warnings that that might prove more difficult than it sounded, Jason took the wish anyway. The doll mentioned something about sending him to a place in need of heroes so he could get to superheroing anyway, and the process of transforming into a werewolf girl also placed her right in the middle of a big fight, just in time to start bashing some monsters around. The doll in question hasn't been seen since.

Other notes:
-In terms of the "point-buy" system, the expenditures were 1 silver on age, 1 silver on +2 AGI, 1 silver on +1 STR, +1 VIT; 1 gold on +4 STR. All other stats are a result of the perks, monster perks (which have some choice to them), etc. (Particularly there is a +2 LCK from Bestial, which is "+2 Any")
-Having her feet in digitigrade form makes her a few inches taller; having both hands and feet in "animal" form enables her to run faster on all fours than she otherwise could as a biped.
-If I played this character she'd probably insist on being "full monster" transformed at all times, prone to trying to get people to accept her "real self" and unwilling to "live a lie". I guess if she were forced to disguise herself for some reason all the fur, paws, ears and tail might temporarily disappear but she'd still have those giveaway sharp teeth.
-She doesn't really have any "magic" per se, in terms of spells and stuff; her powers consist almost entirely of "being a werewolf".
Last edited by Whatevr89532 on Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the variable-gender werewolf.
My TG Captions. Stories are also here. PM me if interested in source images...
A caption challenges blog, where I challenge you!

(Old Muffin Room characters purged; new character list here)
Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby muffinstud » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:55 pm

Oooh, neat characters!

So, would you like to have a thread with something like a hangout for these characters to interact? Or were you thinking more of having a bit of an adventure?

I was thinking a Karaoke Ice Cream bar would be fun for magical girl downtime. Any thoughts?

And for Whatevr's questions:
-When untransformed, base stats are at 3. While transformed, stat baseline is at 4.
-Monster girls get two specialties. This is balanced out by their motivation, which is usually some kind of penalty.
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Abillioncats » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:07 pm

Yeah I'm not really big on all those stats and rules and stuff. It seems really confusing and more effort than I care to put into making a character sheet XD
Kitty Kennel (aka my roster of characters)
Abillioncats
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Ookalf » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:52 pm

muffinstud wrote:Oooh, neat characters!

So, would you like to have a thread with something like a hangout for these characters to interact? Or were you thinking more of having a bit of an adventure?

I was thinking a Karaoke Ice Cream bar would be fun for magical girl downtime. Any thoughts?

Starting a place to hang out sounds like fun.
Ookalf
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Whatevr89532 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:06 pm

I've edited my post to fill in the name and some background information. "Jace" is pronounced like "Jay" with a sss. Hangout seems appropriate enough; it may be a good idea to pretend our main characters haven't met each other in particular yet just for something to do there initially.

So, my inference on stats were correct. I'm not really gonna worry too much about the other thing, I already "took a motivation" and we're presumably playing fast and loose with the stat rules anyhow. Speaking of which, abillioncats, if you want you could come up with a more basic character sheet for something that fits basically into the setting and I could probably figure out how to point-buy appropriate stats and junk for them, since I've already waded through the system once.
I am the variable-gender werewolf.
My TG Captions. Stories are also here. PM me if interested in source images...
A caption challenges blog, where I challenge you!

(Old Muffin Room characters purged; new character list here)
Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Return to Roleplaying