A Brush With Destiny

[Placeholder]

Moderator: Mistress Guendolen

A Brush With Destiny

Postby Knight Errant » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Its a clear summer night. Out in a campsight far enough away from civilization to see the stars... three friends sit on folding chairs. They were young adults... freshly graduated from high school, their whole lives ahead of them. But tonight, fate intervenes. Changing their lives forever.

One boy, slightly overweight with messy brown hair... a goatee... and glasses, sips a soda. He wears bluejeans and a black shirt. Jason looks slightly bored, but not ready to break out his Gameboy. "So, when is this meteor shower supposed to go on?" He asks...
Last edited by Knight Errant on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O Muse!
Sing in me, and through me tell the story
Of that man skilled in all the ways of contending,
A wanderer, harried for years on end...

Image Image

Click the eggs... feed the dragons.
Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Re: A Brush With Destiny

Postby muffinstud » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:24 pm

Another boy, also a little overweight for his short height, looks through a pair of binoculars. "I'd give it another five to ten minutes. You should be able to see them with the naked eye." He sets the binoculars down and stares up wide-eyed at the stars. "I'm telling you guys, this is gonna be awesome. I can just feel it."

He stands there looking up in his jeans and a plain green polo shirt. His mussed up hair sticks up in the light breeze.
"Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river, when you're living...in a van down by the river!" --Matt Foley, motivational speaker
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Zoey » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:38 pm

The third is on his smartphone updating the latest Social Media network. "Ten minutes? The Sky is even a bit cloudy, how are we even supposed to see anything, Richard" he says to the one who invited him before standing up, and holding up the binoculars that were hanging from his neck. "Oh look!... Another plane" he says with a sigh, but joins the effort before his girlfriend replies to pictures of tonight's adventure.

He was wearing a long sleeve black sweater and blue jeans over. His Black hair was short and punk styled with only the a faint beard as facial hair.
"Let me confirm, your shelter shield is activated?"
"What are you planning?!"
"Your shelter is secure, is it?"
"Of course it is! Just see for yourself how powerless you are!"
"...Roger that."
Zoey
MSF Addict
MSF Addict

Postby muffinstud » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:17 pm

Richard rolls his eyes. Other people just never had the patience for this kind of thing. "Just hold on for a little while longer, okay? Trust me, this is gonna be great. It's like a hailstorm, but it never hits you and it's on fire." He looks to his two friends and shakes his head. There goes his hope for them joining him in his interest. Still, he can at least enjoy himself. He pulls his binoculars back up and idly scans the night sky for signs of it starting.

Richard frowns. He rubs his looking glasses clean and looks again. "What the... that's not right." He drops them down and scans the sky. "I see something, but it's in the wrong part of the sky. Look, guys. Right there." He points to a darkened part of the sky... where there appear to be a few tiny streaks of light slowly making their way across the inky void.
"Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river, when you're living...in a van down by the river!" --Matt Foley, motivational speaker
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Knight Errant » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:22 pm

Jason raises an eyebrow... looking up in the direction mentioned. "Huh... thats kinda neat." He admits, watching the light in the skies...
O Muse!

Image Image

Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Zoey » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Kevin turns in the direction Richard pointed out. "Where I-... Huh? Is that it?" he asks not sure.
"...Roger that."
Zoey
MSF Addict
MSF Addict

Postby muffinstud » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:16 pm

"I don't know what it is. It's in the wrong part of the sky. By the looks of it..." He stares at the objects for a moment. "If they don't burn up, they could be heading close by." He looks at the other two as the red streaks seem to grow bigger and brighter. He smirks. "And I bet you thought this was going to be boring.

Meanwhile, in space...
"What do you mean they're gone? They were on his ship, weren't they?"
"Yes, Ma'am. But it looks like he jettisoned them just before he hit the self destruct. Their signals were lost with the rest of the shrapnel."
"Well, you can tack them now, can't you?"
"Yes, Ma'am. They're currently entering the atmosphere of the deserted planet near here. Once they cool down, we should be able to send in a retrieval team."
"Hmm. This is acceptable. Prep a landing squad. I want those things on this ship two minutes ago. Understood, corporal?"
"Y-yes, Ma'am..."

Meanwhile Meanwhile, on Earth...

Richard sets down his binoculars. "Guys? Those meteors aren't burning up. If we're lucky, we might even be able to triangulate where they land!"
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Zoey » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:11 am

Kevin looks in surprise at the event. "Woah man... I think you were right... this is cool..." he says in astonishment.

"Wait... yeah. It's not burning up... but it looks very close... dude, are we safe?..."
"...Roger that."
Zoey
MSF Addict
MSF Addict

Postby Knight Errant » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:27 am

Jason definitely sits up at that. "I've always wanted a meteor to put on my desk. That would be rad. I hope it isn't radioactive or something, though... Like the Colour Out Of Space."
O Muse!

Image Image

Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby muffinstud » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:56 pm

"Relax, Kevin. The odds of those things landing that near to us are... astro...nomical." Richard looks through his binoculars again and slowly starts walking backwards. The meteors are getting bigger, brighter, and they can even hear the whistling friction of the air against them. They are also heading straight for all three of them.

"Umm... maybe we should take cover..."
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Zoey » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:02 pm

Kevin is already moving back. "Cover? Run is better like it!" he says despite not running at first as he traces the balls of fire with his binoculars. He finally drops them and scrambles inside the house!
"...Roger that."
Zoey
MSF Addict
MSF Addict

Postby Knight Errant » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:20 am

Jason blinks... flaming balls of death not good... He scrambles to his feet and runs for it! "Crap crap crap crap crap!"
O Muse!

Image Image

Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby muffinstud » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:07 pm

Richard's mind is in awe of the true majesty of the events before him. Never had he seen a falling star so close, nor had he seen one light up the night sky so brightly. It's as if it was mid-day around the three. The whistle of their descent sounds more like the roar of a jet now, with how close they are. Truly, it is a thing of beauty to be contemplated.

Richard's body, thankfully, does the work for him and runs him the heck out of dodge. Thank goodness for fight or flight mode.

All three young men manage to make it to a small ditch by the time they feel the impacts shake the earth beneath them. Rocks and splintered trees fly through the air for a moment... and then all is still.
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Knight Errant » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Jason takes a few deep breaths... then. "Anyone horribly crushed by space debris?" He says, lifting his head and looking around.
O Muse!

Image Image

Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Zoey » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:14 am

"Everyone ok?!" calls out Kevin as he slowly gets up, his whole body trembling from the shock. "W-what the hell was that?...."
"...Roger that."
Zoey
MSF Addict
MSF Addict

Next

Return to Roleplaying