Corrupting Cuteness

[Placeholder]

Moderator: Mistress Guendolen

Corrupting Cuteness

Postby Knight Errant » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:14 pm

Darkness has fallen over the kingdom of Altaea. The peaceful and prosperous land faces a new threat... From the skies, from the shadows... a corruption spreads. Slowly taking outlying towns, and striking individuals at random in every city... even the grand city capitol of Atlai... where even now the king summons all heroes who will answer the call to his castle, where he will set them on a quest to save his kingdom. Save it... from the Corrupting Cuteness.

~City Setting~

Atlai is one of the oldest, if not the oldest cities in the region. A vast, sprawling hub of commerce and trade... its expansion is only halted by the Wall of the Ancients. A massive, blue/green stone wall that circles the entire city. Despite its advanced age... the stone remains impervious to pick, spellfire, and even the ancient recipe for fire powder. The city itself is almost the reverse of a normal castle town in its geography... the roads all sloping downwards from the edges... to the central valley where the castle keep sits. Stories tell that Atlai was founded by nomads... who had found nothing but the Wall containing a massive empty crater, as if the city that once was within was scooped out by the hand of some cosmic entity.

But at the current time, the city thrives. It is separated into several rings... large circular roads intersecting the roads that lead to the city center like spokes on a wheel. There is the Residential District, which as you might expect house the... houses of most of the cityfolk. Also intermixed with the houses are small neighborhood taverns most frequented by the locals, along with larger inns for visitors and those on business to stay. There is the Commerce District... which has everything from open air markets to small stalls lining alleys. There you can find anything from restaurants, to jewlers, to blacksmiths. If it can be bought or sold... it generally can be found there. Then there is the University District. Here there are learning institutions for all the schools of magic, training academies for knights and warriors, alchemist laboratories that seek to unlock the secrets of the natural world... and the Shadow College.

The Shadow College is devoted solely to unlocking the mysteries of the Ancients, and trying to recreate or repair the fantastical machines that dot the landscape. Many an adventurous soul had become fantastically wealthy from selling some strange trinket they found in some old crumbling metallic structure to the hooded Wardens that stand outside the gates of the College. And buying isn't the only thing they do. They also are one of the few places that sell the strange little metal slugs that the Ancients would feed into their equally strange weaponry. And they also offer repair and maintenance of said weapons... for free in most cases, if they get a chance to disassemble and study a unique weapon that is brought to them.

Lastly, there are the Shades. The Shades are the remnants of the first tents and buildings of the nomads who claimed Atlai. Eventually evolving into a twisting network of ramshackle buildings and dark alleyways... the Shades have a bit of everything... including danger. Here live the poor... the unfortunate... or just those seeking to avoid notice. Guard patrols in the Shades are few and far between... of course if you do brave the narrow streets and survive, you can find things here you cannot find anywhere else. Brothels line the main street, and are the most... accessible... to the common visitor. But in the deep recesses of the Shades you can find black market stalls, black magic shops, and taverns that serve hard liquor to equally hardened customers.

In the center of all this is the Royal Circle. Here you find bright lofty buildings housing the elites and nobles of the kingdom... Rich, fancy shops that cater to said elites, and in the center... the tall, sturdy stone structure of the castle keep. Its doors open as the King inside waits... waits for ones who would answer his summons.
O Muse!
Sing in me, and through me tell the story
Of that man skilled in all the ways of contending,
A wanderer, harried for years on end...

Image Image

Click the eggs... feed the dragons.
Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Re: Corrupting Cuteness

Postby Restless Lucidity » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:00 pm

A young man emerges from the winding streets of the Shade and enters Royal Circle. His short blue hair sways somewhat as he walks briskly toward the castle that looms above. Even if one gave him just a quick glance, it was obvious that he was on a mission: there was a determined, if not somewhat arrogant, glint in his deep blue eyes. The coat he wore undulated at the ends, as did the sword in the scabbard at his leg.

After he had come within a certain proximity of the magnificent castle, he stopped for a moment. He gazed at the towers and the walls, taking in the air of dignity that surrounded the area. Then, with one final, deep breath, he began to walk again. This time he walked straight for the gate. When he arrived, he announced proudly to the guards that stood there:

"I am Marshall Lynch, and I seek an audience with his majesty!" He paused a moment to observe the effect his words had on the soldiers before him. "I am here to offer my aid for the kingdom's dilemma."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, a rather aged soldier could be seen standing beside the man who sat upon the throne of Altaea. The heavy brown coat he wore matched the brown hair on his head that seemed to be slowly losing its sheen. He turned to face his king, letting his faded blue eyes meet with his.

"We're going to need a miracle, my lord," His gruff, deep voice hid much of the worry that he was actually feeling. "Let us pray that one of the heroes who answer your call have the mettle to silence this menace."
Captions and characters~

"A [person] may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on." ~ John F. Kennedy
Restless Lucidity
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby Blaze » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:46 pm

Paul Wesker waves goodbye to one of the Wardens of the Shadow College, having stopped by to receive maintenance on his fire wands as well as purchase more metal slugs in order to use them. He had a purchased a bit more than normal, but with the King summoning fighters for some cause, it might pay to be prepared.

He walks to the center of the city, the Royal Circle, and up to the castle. Licking his palm, he slicks his hair back, using a window to check his reflection to ensure he looks suitably dashing and brave before approaching the keep! He marches inside like he owned the place and looks at the guard.

"Paul Wesker, mercenary, here about the job the King has." he says in a smarmy confident voice.
Blaze
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Ryan5011 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:36 pm

Ryan emerges from a building in the commerce district, a jewler to be precise, having bought a emerald necklace, which was now wrapped around his neck. He was walking towards the castle in the Royal Circle as his hands were on both of his katana's hilts. ~So the king has a problem? Shouldn't be too tough, especially if I work with someone else.~ Ryan thought to himself.

It only took a couple minutes for Ryan to reach the castle. "I'm here....for an audience." Ryan said to the guards, his voice quiet without being too quiet, calm, and slow, while still sounding solemn. He lifted his left arm up to his face, and brushed some of his silver hair out of his left eye, as his hair length wasn't necessarily short. His hair actually reached his shoulders.
Ryan5011
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Harri-chan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:23 am

Naberius Sunstrike strode into the Royal Circle, as if they should be grateful of his presence, rather than grateful himself to have been permitted entry. His pale blonde hair was drawn up into a high ponytail that rose above his head and then flopped down behind him, all the way to his waist. He wore a giant suit of golden arm, the round pauldrons over his shoulders being even larger than this head, and the wide chest plate giving him a muscled looked that didn't match the slender, almost elf-like figure hidden beneath.

A giant golden shield was strapped to his back, it's front covered by a huge sun and it's sprawling rays, while the top of it was shaped like a pair of spread wings, and a red gem stone sat right in it's center. Hanging at his waist was a long shield that almost brushed the ground, gold in colour just like the rest, with the same spread wing decoration acting as a hand guard, another red gem stone set in the middle of it.

When he saw others were introducing themselves to the guards, he stood back a moment, smirking before walking forward, not even pausing at the guards, nor turning to look at them.

"Step aside ladies, Naberius Sunstrike is here to save the day".
Harri-chan
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Kether » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:08 am

Zel saunters out of one of the many brothels of the comerce district his coin purses afew coins lighter, it was afterall one of the high points of human civilization an almost proper sexatorium. Of course humans lacked such basic understandings finding.. brothels some how disturbing and secular. Even their gods are small and repressed. Still gold is gold.

He takes to the streets his predatory smile directed at the occasional attractive woman(I mean how much more could their bloodline be improved than by mixing with his? Its a litteral honor!), but once again the humans with their small minds turn away, pulling their daughters inside as he passes. Some humans make odd signs probably to one of their tiny little godlings. Finally zel makes it to the king's court.
"I'M MALFEAS I CAN DO WHAT I WANT
WHATEVER I'VE GOT AM GONNA FLAUNT!
THERE'S NEVER BEEN A ROCK OFF THAT I'VE EVER LOST!"
Kether
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Knight Errant » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:41 pm

Restless Lucidity wrote:A young man emerges from the winding streets of the Shade and enters Royal Circle. His short blue hair sways somewhat as he walks briskly toward the castle that looms above. Even if one gave him just a quick glance, it was obvious that he was on a mission: there was a determined, if not somewhat arrogant, glint in his deep blue eyes. The coat he wore undulated at the ends, as did the sword in the scabbard at his leg.

After he had come within a certain proximity of the magnificent castle, he stopped for a moment. He gazed at the towers and the walls, taking in the air of dignity that surrounded the area. Then, with one final, deep breath, he began to walk again. This time he walked straight for the gate. When he arrived, he announced proudly to the guards that stood there:

"I am Marshall Lynch, and I seek an audience with his majesty!" He paused a moment to observe the effect his words had on the soldiers before him. "I am here to offer my aid for the kingdom's dilemma."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, a rather aged soldier could be seen standing beside the man who sat upon the throne of Altaea. The heavy brown coat he wore matched the brown hair on his head that seemed to be slowly losing its sheen. He turned to face his king, letting his faded blue eyes meet with his.

"We're going to need a miracle, my lord," His gruff, deep voice hid much of the worry that he was actually feeling. "Let us pray that one of the heroes who answer your call have the mettle to silence this menace."

The guards nod slightly towards the Marshall... one speaking up. "He waits in the grand hall. Do you need directions, sir?"

===========

Meanwhile... the king, frowns a bit at the soldier's words. "We have to trust in the strength of the noble spirit in the face of adversity. But of course we do not have to put all of our trust into strangers... Sir Blackstone is going to be leading the charge, after all." He says... nodding to the table below... where the captain of the King's Guard sits... drinking a mug of ale and looking steadfastly at the door... waiting for new arrivals.

Sir Blackstone is a man of wide shoulder, hard muscle, and a few scars. The position of Captain of the King's Guard is held by the strongest knight of the court... not only by tradition... but in practice. To earn the post... all a knight must do is challenge the current Captain and defeat them in the ring of honor.

Blaze wrote:Paul Wesker waves goodbye to one of the Wardens of the Shadow College, having stopped by to receive maintenance on his fire wands as well as purchase more metal slugs in order to use them. He had a purchased a bit more than normal, but with the King summoning fighters for some cause, it might pay to be prepared.

He walks to the center of the city, the Royal Circle, and up to the castle. Licking his palm, he slicks his hair back, using a window to check his reflection to ensure he looks suitably dashing and brave before approaching the keep! He marches inside like he owned the place and looks at the guard.

"Paul Wesker, mercenary, here about the job the King has." he says in a smarmy confident voice.

The guards look over the mercenary... slight distaste in their eyes... one of them speaks up. "He awaits in the Grand Hall... follow me... I'll take you there."

Ryan5011 wrote:Ryan emerges from a building in the commerce district, a jewler to be precise, having bought a emerald necklace, which was now wrapped around his neck. He was walking towards the castle in the Royal Circle as his hands were on both of his katana's hilts. ~So the king has a problem? Shouldn't be too tough, especially if I work with someone else.~ Ryan thought to himself.

It only took a couple minutes for Ryan to reach the castle. "I'm here....for an audience." Ryan said to the guards, his voice quiet without being too quiet, calm, and slow, while still sounding solemn. He lifted his left arm up to his face, and brushed some of his silver hair out of his left eye, as his hair length wasn't necessarily short. His hair actually reached his shoulders.

The guards nod at the man with the exotic swords. They speak up. "He waits in the grand hall. Do you need directions, sir?"

Harri-chan wrote:Naberius Sunstrike strode into the Royal Circle, as if they should be grateful of his presence, rather than grateful himself to have been permitted entry. His pale blonde hair was drawn up into a high ponytail that rose above his head and then flopped down behind him, all the way to his waist. He wore a giant suit of golden arm, the round pauldrons over his shoulders being even larger than this head, and the wide chest plate giving him a muscled looked that didn't match the slender, almost elf-like figure hidden beneath.

A giant golden shield was strapped to his back, it's front covered by a huge sun and it's sprawling rays, while the top of it was shaped like a pair of spread wings, and a red gem stone sat right in it's center. Hanging at his waist was a long shield that almost brushed the ground, gold in colour just like the rest, with the same spread wing decoration acting as a hand guard, another red gem stone set in the middle of it.

When he saw others were introducing themselves to the guards, he stood back a moment, smirking before walking forward, not even pausing at the guards, nor turning to look at them.

"Step aside ladies, Naberius Sunstrike is here to save the day".

The guards... stare a bit... but dont move to impede the man as he struts in. Inside is the large entryway... a long red carpeted hallway with statues and paintings... and a few smaller doors on either side. A staircase ending in a large double doors waits at the end...

Kether wrote:Zel saunters out of one of the many brothels of the comerce district his coin purses afew coins lighter, it was afterall one of the high points of human civilization an almost proper sexatorium. Of course humans lacked such basic understandings finding.. brothels some how disturbing and secular. Even their gods are small and repressed. Still gold is gold.

He takes to the streets his predatory smile directed at the occasional attractive woman(I mean how much more could their bloodline be improved than by mixing with his? Its a litteral honor!), but once again the humans with their small minds turn away, pulling their daughters inside as he passes. Some humans make odd signs probably to one of their tiny little godlings. Finally zel makes it to the king's court.

Zel makes his way to the Royal Quarter... and finds the attention of the more frequent guard patrols moving towards him. Finally just as he is nearing the gate... one of them stops in front of him. "Excuse me... sir. But I must ask what business you have here." Says an armored guard.
O Muse!
Sing in me, and through me tell the story
Of that man skilled in all the ways of contending,
A wanderer, harried for years on end...

Image Image

Click the eggs... feed the dragons.
Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Blaze » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:27 pm

Paul shoots the guard a smarmy smile and nods, following him into the castle.
Blaze
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Kether » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:50 pm

Knight Errant wrote:
Zel makes his way to the Royal Quarter... and finds the attention of the more frequent guard patrols moving towards him. Finally just as he is nearing the gate... one of them stops in front of him. "Excuse me... sir. But I must ask what business you have here." Says an armored guard.

"Ah you poor thing.. well I believe there was a request for aid in freeing you all from your imperialed lives.."
"I'M MALFEAS I CAN DO WHAT I WANT
WHATEVER I'VE GOT AM GONNA FLAUNT!
THERE'S NEVER BEEN A ROCK OFF THAT I'VE EVER LOST!"
Kether
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Ryan5011 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:43 pm

"Yes. Directions...would be appreciated." Ryan replied with a blank expression.
Ryan5011
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Harri-chan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:31 pm

The blonde young man whistled a cheerful tune as he strolled along the red carpet, briefly taking in the statues and paintings, but not pausing to truly admire any of them. He ignored the smaller doors, and made his way up the staircase, pausing at the double doors to sweep his hair back over his shoulders before throwing the doors open and walking through, flicking his hands up and flashing his best smile.

"Naberius Sunstrike. Saviour", he announced.
Harri-chan
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby muffinstud » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:20 pm

Horace Durgoth stumbles out of the Dragon's Teat, one of the less reputable inns in the residential ward. "Ugh, methinks I've had a little too much." He leans against the wall outside and pulls out a piece of parchment with the whole reason he's in this oversized hamlet. It has a summons from the King's Guard, requesting him to consult them on a few matters. He puts the parchment back and wobbles down the street, hoping that by the time he gets to the castle, he'll have sobered up a bit.
"Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river, when you're living...in a van down by the river!" --Matt Foley, motivational speaker
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Vomica » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:24 pm

For a night and a day, one of the local mead halls just seems to hum with a life of it's own. The windows vibrate, the doors hum, and the entire wooden structure just seems to pulse with life. Not false life that might be found in an abomination, but it isn't true life either. It is the life that brings truth to the ears, and what brings the sublime to the mind. It is the life of rhyme and rhythm; music as it is want to be. Not as a thing to be dissected, but an art for the heart.

One man in particular seems to be the cause of all this ruckus! Despite being mid morning, and the sun high in the sky, the tavern appears darkened. A single column of light, from no real source, shines down on a lone figure on the stage. He's of average height, but from there nothing seems 'average' about him. But we'll leave such rantings of his appearance to Keen himself, for this is the name of the man. The light doesn't seem to be about focusing on his face or body, but rather to stop the distractions from other things -- from his voice. The spot light moves along the stage as his feet moves in a reverse walking motion, the odd circular object in his hand held close to his mouth -- some sort of instrument! His words seem to rebound off from each other, as a spectral band and backup singers buzz in the back ground. And it goes on for a few more minutes...

Until he stops! The lights return to normal -- the fireplace roars with it's natural warm glow, and the sunlight pours through the windows. It seems to have darkened for the performance somehow. Regardless! The audience seems moved to excitement -- but a separate figure soon approaches him. Keen's frowns, "...I know you. My aunt must have sent you, didn't she?" The man doesn't move his hood, and merely replies "Indeed. Young Keens. You know why you are in this country. You know when your appointment is. ...and you know it's my duty to make sure you go to it." Keens hand waves the man off, "Oh don't worry. I was only going to be a few hours late! ...it's not like this is a life or death situation, you know? And I was having fun!" The hooded figure sighs, "...your stuff is packed. And your mule is ready." Keens gives a nod, "Very well. ...til later Ruber!" And with that? Keens heads out the inn. A few moments later he is on his way to the keep -- where he is needed!
Vomica
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Restless Lucidity » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:53 pm

"No, sir, but thank you for the offer. Even if it's hard to believe, I've been to the grand hall a good number of times before." He smirks. "And I'm sure his majesty will be more than happy to accept my help."

With that, Marshall gives a small bow and heads past the gate and in to the castle proper. He begins his walk to the grand hall, carefully observing his surroundings at every turn.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The man nods twice, the second being slower, more solemn. He shuts his eyes and takes a seat beside the king.

"Indeed, majesty. Blackstone may be a better soldier, and a better leader, than I ever was. However..." He pauses. "... this evil is also considerably more... persistent than any others we've encountered. It's a parasite that corrupts even the best soldiers in the land." The man looks over to his king once more. "Blackstone and the rest will have to outdo themselves... we all will."
Captions and characters~

"A [person] may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on." ~ John F. Kennedy
Restless Lucidity
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby all_knowing_frog » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:38 pm

The cloaked figure hurried through the Shades, hands always on at least one of his many daggers hidden about his person, just waiting for some poor fool to try and jump him, Tod Vorbote, one of the best assassins in the kingdom if not the world, and certainly the best in his chosen style. Nothing showed how helpless people were like a poisoned dagger stabbed, not thrown, that could have been intercepted by some simple spells, in some lord’s vulnerable throat.

Oh sure the knife appearing out of nowhere was an intimidating and praise worthy method, but few could throw a knife for any real distance and get it to stab blade first. Hilts can be just as lethal with the proper force, but they didn't have the same psychological effect on those around the victim, but the cloaked figure flying up to the target, ending their pitiful life and being gone before anyone knew what the Bob just happened sowed much more chaos and actually made it easier to escape in some cases. Not to mention it made the guards, about the only people in Tod’s line of work you had any chance of meeting again, feel useless. Which they were, at least against a proper killer, but damaging their pride and confidence just made the next job that much easier.

After a disappointingly uneventful walk to the Castle’s entrance, Tod decided to stroke his ego and prove his competence. From the shadows, he examined the lone guard. Really, a single guard, what sort of moron is the guard captain? His eyes dart about the scene, noting the approaching man. To distant to interfere, no ranged weaponry visible, good, Tod didn't want this to result in anything of consequence.

The guard wasn't looking at him, now was the time to strike. He launched himself from the shadows of an outcropping and all but flue at the guard, cloak billowing out behind him, adding to the purposely intimidating site of a man shooting towards you with glinting daggers. Normally the distance he needed to travel would make his attempt disastrous, it ending with him stabbed by the guard’s weapon. For him, it was more the close enough.
The guard will find a nearly 6 inch dagger against his throat, while another was ready to pierce the vulnerable armpit of his right arm, ready to disable his weapon arm if the initial strike wasn't immediately lethal. Which of course it wasn't, he was too skilled to let such a thing happen when he didn't want it to. “An incompetent guard is less the worthless, you better step up your game, next time I may need to actually end your life.”
All Glory to the Hypno Suwako...
I know quite a bit, but it's mostly useless info.
all_knowing_frog
MSFer
MSFer

Next

Return to Roleplaying