Do you Believe in Magic?

[Placeholder]

Moderator: Mistress Guendolen

Do you Believe in Magic?

Postby Mystic Mina » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:10 am

((We'll see where this goes. Maybe this will go nowhere, or maybe... Well, like I said, we'll see. AND YES, THIS IS OPEN TO EVERYONE!))

It was supposed to be just another warm Saturday afternoon for you. You were just supposed to have another normal day in your life. But some twist of fate turned you away from the usual towards the UNusual... For whatever reason, you find yourself before a man. What his appearance is does not matter, who he is is unimportant, and why he is even standing in your way is irrelevant. You only need to know what he has to say.

"Would you like to see some real magic? No, I'm serious. Would you really like to see some honest, actual magic right before your very eyes? I'm not talking about those silly little smoke and mirror tricks you've probably seen on street corners, grand stages, and television, I'm talking about the real deal here! Fireballs, warp portals, transforming potions, the works! Oh, I can see it in that stare of yours.... You don't believe me, do you? You think I'm crazy, perhaps? Well, I suppose there's only one way I can convince you. Go to that tiny store in the corner over there, the one with the flickering neon sign spelling out "Magic" on top of the door. If you come inside, I guarantee that you will, indeed, believe that magic exists. But be forewarned; magic is not for the faint of heart, and if you step into my shop, you may leave as something entirely different.... Or maybe you'll never leave! So, what do you will you do? Languish in the mundane and live your life in ignorance of the mystical?... Or will you take this once in a lifetime chance to see just how magical your world really is?"

Once he finishes, he departs, leaving you alone to make your decision.
Last edited by Mystic Mina on Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mystic Mina
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Re: Do you Believe in Magic?

Postby Victorious » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:49 am

[This is open for anyone to enter, I take it? If not, please ignore my post.]

Until this point, Paul had been having an ordinary day. Got up, showered, grabbed a pop tart for breakfast, biked to his job to do some writing for the tiny little newspaper, had a bit of droll conversation and skipped lunch in favor of not skipping his next power bill.
This was how he'd lived for several years now, and it didn't seem like anything was going to change...that man though, was really something else.

Their meeting had been quick--quick enough that if the conversation had been about the weather say, or the local sports team, he would have forgotten it by the time he'd gotten home. The conversation, however, had been about magic.

Magic...

Paul wasn't the type who believed in magic. Not really. If magic existed, after all, why didn't people know? He wasn't a great reporter, but he knew that people weren't that good at keeping secrets. Not really. This was probably just a sales pitch--a quick bit of banter to draw people into the newest gag shop or novelty store, the kind of thing that didn't usually interest Paul that much. It wasn't, after all, like he had the money to be throwing around on things like that. Not really.

And yet...

Perhaps he smelled a story, even if it was just a tiny little write up on page 7. Maybe he was curious what kind of place had hired a guy like that...and perhaps, perhaps he hoped that there would be something there that he couldn't explain. Some phenomena that defied logic....But probably not. Not really.

And yet, after a minute, with a shrug, Paul found himself walking to that tiny store on the corner; the one with the flickering neon sign. A serious-faced man standing nearly six feet with a frayed coat and graying hair, he didn't look like the kind of guy to go into a place like this. Not really. But despite this, after a moment, his hand found the doorknob, and pulled the door open.
Victorious
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Mystic Mina » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:22 pm

((Yes, it is open to anyone and everyone! Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear... So, if you don't mind me asking, what is it you expect out of this RP? I mean, is there anything you want specifically to happen to your character or...?))

As you enter the somewhat ramshackle building, the first thing that catches your attention is the smell. It’s not foul or unsettling, but it also isn’t pleasant. One could say that it’s an incredibly musty scent, one encountered in a dusty attic or an undisturbed tomb. One sniff of the air is enough to tell you how ancient this place is, which is odd, since you’re positive there was never a shop on this street corner before.

The shop itself is quite small, but this is most likely due to the fact that most of the space within is dominated by huge shelves filled to the prim with all sorts of mysterious items and treasures. To describe each and every one of them would, to put it simply, take a very, VERY long time.

So the narrator will, instead, point you towards the gentleman sitting at the very end of the store, behind the glass counter that showcases even more curious oddities. Unlike the strange, imposing man outside who beckoned you into the store, he seems a bit more... Worldly, in lack of other words. Dressed in a brown jacket, black dress pants, and a red bowtie, the middle-aged, slightly gray-haired man looks more like a kindly father than a wondrous magician.

“Ah, a customer! I assume you were led here by my crier, Julius? I’m sorry if he seemed a bit… How do you say… Imposing. He has a tendency to be overly dramatic, you see.” The man adjusts his gold-rimmed glasses for a moment before flashing you a warm, comforting smile. “But all of what he said was indeed true. If you wish to see magic, you've come to the right place. However, it will cost you a pretty penny..."
Mystic Mina
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Victorious » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:00 pm

[Oh, I was just planning to see where things went. I try not to make specific requests usually, if that's alright.]

"Your crier?"

Paul turns the word over in his head for a moment. It was an old-fashioned way of putting it, but old fashioned was what seemed to fit this place. The smell was certainly appropriate.

"I guess I did meet 'im, yeah. Dramatic 's an understatement."

Walking carefully into the store, Paul lets his eyes wander over the trinkets and treasures around him. For all intents and purposes this looks like the kind of place that could have been here twenty, thirty years at least...which puzzled him, considering how he'd never heard of it before. He'd been taking this same walk for years, and yet he'd never seen it before.
Still--this was the kind of clutter that could only accumulate. It would take a genius to be able to do it on purpose.

"But...I don't really have many pennies to spare, sorry t'say."

Giving a helpless shrug Paul adjusts his coat slightly and then goes on, drawing on his years of humdrum reporting.

"How long have you been here though, can I ask?"
Victorious
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Mystic Mina » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:12 am

"Oh, I've been here long enough. It's just that no one ever seems to notice this shop... Or perhaps, no one ever seems to want to notice." Is all the kindly man reveals to Paul as his warm gaze slowly fades away . He turns his attention towards the numerous trinkets scattered throughout the store and lets out a wistful sigh, as if he were remembering better days. "There certainly have been better days for this place... But you didn't come here to listen to a history lesson. I won't bother you with that. You said you have limited funds, yes? Well..."

He gives you a quick look-over with his bespectacled brown eyes. They scan you, search you, dig deep within you... Until suddenly, they light up with glee, and warmth returns to the shop owner's face once again.

"I believe you and I can strike a deal. As you can probably tell, this store of mine is quite understaffed. As of now, I only have myself and Julius, and if I can be quite honest with you, that boy certainly does not have what it takes to help me maintain this place. You, on the other hand... I believe you may be just what I need." In a flash, he whips out a stack paper from behind the glass counter along with a pen. Hundreds and hundreds of tiny, almost illegible lines have been scrawled across the many pages; only the eyes of an owl could decipher what was written upon them. "How would you like to sign up and work for me? It will only be part time, I pay handsomely, and you may learn a spell or two along the way. Just sign here if you're willing."
Mystic Mina
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Victorious » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:35 am

"Work? Part time?"

Paul can't help but blink at this, already having been slightly offput at the strange look in the fellow's eyes.

"Surely you can't be serious..."

Shaking his head, Paul frowns slightly...but finds himself giving the place another onceover. Surely he couldn't be seriously considering taking the man up on it?
But...the place was intriguing...And goodness knows, he could use the extra cash--having lunch again would be a welcome luxury...and it wasn't like the paper was working him around the clock.

After a moment, he gives a shrug. It was sudden, to be sure, and he didn't place a lot of stock in the 'learning spells' bit,]...

"But...aw, well, why the hell not?"

Hesitating at the unexpected serendipity he was feeling today, the man pauses...but after a moment pulls out a slightly-chewed pen, and signs without much flourish.
Victorious
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Mystic Mina » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:10 am

((Behold! I shall now switch from 2nd person view to 3rd person view awkwardly! Mind the word whiplash!))

The moment Paul's pen leaves the paper, the keeper of the shop swipes away the papers, tucks them away behind the counter, and spins back to face Paul all in one swift motion. One could tell that the man has practiced this many times before. Perhaps Paul should start worrying now?

"Excellent, Paul! There are so many tasks for us to attend to, so many adventures we need to begin... But for now, you may leave. I must prepare, you see, and these preparations will take some time. Return later today, once I'm ready. Don't worry about being late. You'll know when to come." Before Paul can even think about departing from the magic shop, however, the man slides him a plain black box tied shut with a single maroon ribbon. "Here. Consider this a welcoming gift from your new boss, Samuel Winters. I'll see you soon... Sooner than you think, as a matter of fact."
Mystic Mina
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Harri-chan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:48 am

Amanda was out for a quiet stroll with her dog, a little white west highland terrier on a leash. Amanda was a little on the tall side, with rounded curves, but her best feature was certainly her legs. Her pale blue sun dress didn't each reach mid-thigh, showing off the seemingly unending pins, with a pair of strappy white heels on her feet. A small, white knitted Cardigan was worn over the top of the dress, with a pair of stylish sunglasses over her eyes and her dark brown haurcwas braided into a ponytail that almost reached her bottom. Having seen the crier, she'd crossed over to the shop and was now coming in through the door, along with her dog.
Harri-chan
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Mystic Mina » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:53 am

"Perfect timing, madam. I'll be with you in just a moment." Samuel takes one final moment to give Paul a parting handshake before turning to face Amanda and her tiny pet. "Welcome to my store. The name is unimaginative and the interior is in dire need of a thorough cleaning, but you'll find here whatever magic your hearts desires nonetheless. So, how can I help you Miss...?"

He trails off after the last word, implying that he wishes to know the woman's name.
Mystic Mina
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Marky » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Steve heard what the man had to say, a bit taken back by all of this magic nonsense. He was just an ordinary guy, albeit a bit tall, in his mid-20s, who was down on his luck and currently unemployed. At first, he didn't believe the guy at all, and was considering just blowing him on and going about his day.

But then, he kept on thinking. What was he going to do today, anyways? Look for work...again? He was getting fed up with it all and was pretty much ready to give up, and, hell, if this magic was real...perhaps it would work in getting him a job, too?

Pausing for a moment, Steve stared over at the place, considering his options. He could either try his luck, which was currently horrible, at getting a job again, or go and investigate this place to see if that guy was telling the truth or not. "Oh, what the hell, why not?" Steve says, shrugging, before heading on over to the place and heading inside.
Marky
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Harri-chan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:09 pm

Bending down, she gave quite the view of her cleavage while scooping the dog up into her arms and smiled at the man. "Johnson. Amanda Johnson", she introduced herself. "And this is baby", she said, nodding at the dog which had a cute little pink bow atop it's head. "We were just out for a walk when we heard that guy shouting about your shop. I was hoping to see some tricks".
Harri-chan
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Mystic Mina » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:28 pm

Simply amazing! The customers are pouring in one after another! Perhaps Julius wasn't as useless as Samuel once thought.

"Good day to you, sir. Once I'm finished with this customer, I shall attend to you. You may browse the store while you wait... But please do your best to be careful. Many of these items are quite fragile in nature."

At that, Samuel turned his head back towards Amanda, who seems to be giving him quite a view. He pays absolutely no attention to it, however. A professional never alienates a potential client, after all.

"Ah, of course. I would be happy to show you some magic... For a price, that is. I have a store to maintain, you understand. But if you're only looking for a small trick or two, then I suppose I can offer you a free sampling... Observe!"

With a few simple waves of his hand, the magician shifted the color of Amanda's terrier from white to black, from black to gold, from gold to purple, from purple to red, and so on, and so on, and so on.
Mystic Mina
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Harri-chan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:40 pm

Amanda chewed on her bottom lip as the man started to talk about needing payment, as she hadn't brought her purse out with her. However, when he begins to wave his hand and Baby's fur starts changing colour, she lifts the small dog up infront of herself. "That's not hurting her, is it?", she asked, apparently not impressed by the trick at all, or atleast, she was more concerned about her dog which started to yap at the man. "I don't think she likes that!". Drawing the pup back into her arms, she cradled her to her chest and frowned. "Look... I didn't bring any money with me... but that guy across the road told us we'd be amazed... do I LOOK amazed to you?".
Harri-chan
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Marky » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:59 pm

Steve slowly nods to the shopkeeper, before pausing and blinking, rubbing his eyes a little as he saw the dog change colors. "O-kay...I think I'm seeing things..." He mutters a little to himself, shaking his head, as he wanders into the nearest aisle, taking a little look around. "Note to self...quit drinking alcohol for a little while. You're starting to see things after a hangover..."
Marky
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Mystic Mina » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:25 pm

Samuel began to frown once he realized his magical color changing was scaring Amanda more than it was impressing her. No no, this approach won't do at all. It was too blatant, too blunt... To reveal magic to her in this fashion will not accomplish anything! Time for a change of plans.

"I'm truly sorry, Mrs. Johnson. What happened there was... Well, I'm sorry to say that was a mere trick of the eye, not real magic. Hidden lights and whatnot, you see. I did not intend to worry you or harm your pet, but perhaps I can make up for my bumbling with a gift? You need not worry about money this time." After a quick bow, the man hurried off into the dark far ends of the store behind him. Much rummaging could be heard as he searched through whatever mysterious contents the unknown rooms contained, but he eventually returned holding what appeared to be a rose-lined picture frame. It's design was simple, but elegant enough. There was something about the unassuming frame, however, that stirred up feelings of nostalgia within Amanda. "Consider this a token of my apology. Take it home, and put a cherished photo inside. You'll feel as though you're reliving old memories... I guarantee it."

---

((Um, sorry! I'll post Steve's part later. >_>))
Mystic Mina
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Next

Return to Roleplaying