My Captions Part 1

When a picture inspires the mind and a story forms within.

Moderator: Raleigh

My Captions Part 1

Postby MarioDS01 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:03 pm

Here I am finally creating captions with some artwork I found that the main users of MSF can use.

"Sigh" says Johnny now Jenny, "I'll never pass the exam for the woman's history class to get my manhood back"

"At first I did not like the idea of being forced to be changed into a girl by my mother to join witch's school" says Sammy formally Sam, "Now, I love learning all the cool spells here, I made made a ton of friends here then I did when I was a boy, and new my bestfriend is my boyfriend".

"Who cares that there was a curse on the sword that changed my into a female!" cryed out Danny, "At least I got a really good big heavy duty sword out of it".
MarioDS01
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Kyunji » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:51 pm

To be honest... These are pretty mediocre. I don't do caption images, so it may be that I don't have a right to speak on the subject, but here are the problems I see with your captions:

First, they're very heavy-handed. Captions that're just a picture of a cute girl with an accompanying sentence or two that more or less says, "I'm a girl now, and I'm happy/sad" get repetitive quickly. This is made even worse when a caption character states something obvious or unrealistic. When I say "unrealistic", I mean "people not acting like people". No one is really so straightforward in their speech so as to say, "I'll never pass the exam for the woman's history class to get my manhood back." The former boy in your first caption knows very well what his situation is, and there's no way that she would randomly decide to repeat it out loud. Think about how you would react to the situation you put your characters in. At most, a very exasperated person might just sigh and mutter, "Damn women's history class."

That doesn't explain the point of the image very well, though, does it? Here lies what is, in my experience, one of the many challenges of short captions: communicating a concept without resorting to crude dialog or plain narration. These two storytelling methods make captions feel cheap and boring. I recommend that you do your best to find ways of telling stories without being so explicit.

Another issue is that your ideas are generic. Yes, you're a beginning captioner, and I acknowlege that. Nevertheless, your captions don't have much to them and don't add anything to the images they're based off of. The captions only work with what's in the image, only adding small elements of TG to them. How did these boys get to be in their current situations? What might happen to them next? Try to find interesting explanations instead of typing the first thing that comes into your head.

Finally, avoid clichés. Ever since the dawn of TG fiction, it seems that authors have used several of the same old, tired stereotypes. One of the most common ones is "[male name], now [female name]", and by extension "he, now she". I assure you that anyone who has visited the site for more than five minutes has almost certainly seen this line used by now. Please, please, please try to avoid it and other clichés. Otherwise, your image loses much of its originality. Some other no-nos include, "'I disrespected a woman, so now I have to live as one!'" and "'I don't understand women...' ZAP! 'Whoops, now I'm a girl!'"

So as I said, your images aren't great. The primary thing to worry about is originality. Caption images are all about being original. I'm even skipping my usual complaints about grammar to emphasize this. Think outside the pixel boundries.
Kyunji
Lurking MSFer
Lurking MSFer

Postby Arkain » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:06 pm

Kyunji, you managed to condense every objection I've ever had into one single post. You are my hero.

The man speaks wisdom, learn well. Read some more captions, too!

Arkain, the Patron Saint of People Who Fight Against Being Transformed Instead of Accepting It. Canonized...right about now.
Arkain
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Funny Hat + Funny Accent » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:07 am

For what seems to be a first try, you did well. You have plenty of room for improvement and the captions were much better than my first tries. Ask Helel about those sometime, and he'll cringe at the memory.
Bore: Ah, comrade Yozis! I have been meaning to have bear wrestling match with you! Let me show you what your rear end looks like! *turns them into a demon-pretzel*
I just dropped a Tactical Nuke on a Blood Ape.
Eagle Scout since 9/18/2007
Funny Hat + Funny Accent
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Kyunji » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:46 pm

Arkain wrote:Kyunji, you managed to condense every objection I've ever had into one single post. You are my hero.

The man speaks wisdom, learn well. Read some more captions, too!

Thanks. The irony of the situation is that while I can write decently (or so I think), I struggle to come up with original ideas. I'm sort of like a walking anti-caption.
Kyunji
Lurking MSFer
Lurking MSFer

Return to Caption Images