Commissioned captions?

When a picture inspires the mind and a story forms within.

Moderator: Raleigh

Commissioned captions?

Postby Coruscate » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:21 pm

I'm working on opening a commission / doujinshi project this coming weekend, and I was looking at what kind of services to offer people. Penciling, inking, coloring, comic pages, these are all a given. I don't have the time or inclination for story writing, but I was curious, has anyone ever heard of paid captions???
"god knows I don't go through life trying to be normal. Peculiar suits me just fine."
-Xia

Deviant Art
Coruscate
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Chibi MitchellTF » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:05 pm

I haven't heard of it, but it is theoretically possible. It would probably violate copyright for the pictures used, unless you had specific artist permission. Also, there's the problem of whether someone is willing to pay, and how much.
Chibi MitchellTF
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Xiao » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:46 pm

A possible way to avoid copywright infringement (I am not sure if this is true or not...) if you aren't using original art, is to have them show the picture and you just charge for the caption part, like if I were to show you a picture you sent me a text file of what to say. I haven't heard of this before though.
Xiao
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Legal way to pay for captions

Postby Umiko » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:27 pm

If you make sure and clear that you are selling your STory and not hte caption as a whole you can pay for it, because in the end at that point all your paying for is the story you wrote not the picture that hte buyer asks it to be attached too.

Basically as long as your paying them for hte story and not hte caption as a whole your fine
Umiko
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Postby Coruscate » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Oh, they'd send me the pic and say caption this, basically.

I'm figuring $10 a caption, possible bulk discount and that would be a standard Coru caption, at least two paragraphs of story per pic.
"god knows I don't go through life trying to be normal. Peculiar suits me just fine."
-Xia

Deviant Art
Coruscate
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Return to Caption Images