Second person captions?

When a picture inspires the mind and a story forms within.

Moderator: Raleigh

Second person captions?

Postby Ninian » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi, sorry to intrude. I'm making a personal compilation of my favorite captions, both past and present. I keep an especially a close focus on "second person" captions. That is, captions where "you" are the subject of the transformation. Those are the most intense for me to read and I'm trying to get them all in one place. Which ones do you guys know of? I was also thinking of making a suggestion to Whatevr for a second person caption challenge on their blog.

I'm also trying to track down as many "witch changes a guy for her own selfish reasons" type captions but given that's more abstract I think it'd be harder to compile.

Thank you again for your time.
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Re: Second person captions?

Postby Maiden Miki » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:20 pm

Ninian wrote:Hi, sorry to intrude. I'm making a personal compilation of my favorite captions, both past and present. I keep an especially a close focus on "second person" captions. That is, captions where "you" are the subject of the transformation. Those are the most intense for me to read and I'm trying to get them all in one place. Which ones do you guys know of? I was also thinking of making a suggestion to Whatevr for a second person caption challenge on their blog.

I'm also trying to track down as many "witch changes a guy for her own selfish reasons" type captions but given that's more abstract I think it'd be harder to compile.

Thank you again for your time.

I could try to whip up a second person caption. Don't think I have ever done that kind before. An example of one would be something like this right?

"You look down to see something is strange. Your body feel a bit muggy as you stumble around. Long hair get in your vision as two large mounds...."

Luckily I have done a few witch captions. haha
Maiden Miki
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Location: Luffy is punching me in the face, while Eneru is laughing about it

Postby Ninian » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:30 pm

My favorite kind of TF in general involves immersing the reader into believing it could have happened to them. A sense of "see this person? this could have been you! this could still happen to you!".This will be true of even any third person captions I might write. Second person basically cuts straight to that. Second person sounds like it'd be harder to write, but it doesn't have to be. This one of Alan Garou Redux's is as short and simple as it gets but hits home for me. (I'm not necessarily strictly into witches as I am powerful female figures, though)

But I wouldn't want you (or anyone) to feel like you had to make something just for me. I really appreciate the thought, though. I'll find some way to give back to you if you do.
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Maiden Miki » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:36 pm

Ninian wrote:My favorite kind of TF in general involves immersing the reader into believing it could have happened to them. A sense of "see this person? this could have been you! this could still happen to you!".This will be true of even any third person captions I might write. Second person basically cuts straight to that. Second person sounds like it'd be harder to write, but it doesn't have to be. This one of Alan Garou Redux's is as short and simple as it gets but hits home for me. (I'm not necessarily strictly into witches as I am powerful female figures, though)

But I wouldn't want you (or anyone) to feel like you had to make something just for me. I really appreciate the thought, though. I'll find some way to give back to you if you do.

I see. Hmm....Second person is a challenge. To tell the truth first person is a challenge for me but I don't mind giving it a try.
Maiden Miki
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Ninian » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:00 am

I think finding the inspiration to write in general can be a challenge.
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Maiden Miki » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:06 am

Ninian wrote:I think finding the inspiration to write in general can be a challenge.

That is true. Once you get on the ball you are on fire but kind of hard to just do it cold.

Also thanks for the compliment. It means a lot from a vet like you.
Maiden Miki
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Ninian » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:13 am

Maiden Miki wrote:That is true. Once you get on the ball you are on fire but kind of hard to just do it cold.

Also thanks for the compliment. It means a lot from a vet like you.

Hehe, however long I've been around doesn't matter much I hope. I'm not due any more or less respect. I just have eclectic tastes.

My favorite captioneers were Rodney and Lucky. Not sure if they're still around, but thankfully their photobuckets still are. I enjoy your work so far, too.
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Maiden Miki » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:28 am

Ninian wrote:Hehe, however long I've been around doesn't matter much I hope. I'm not due any more or less respect. I just have eclectic tastes.

My favorite captioneers were Rodney and Lucky. Not sure if they're still around, but thankfully their photobuckets still are. I enjoy your work so far, too.

Thanks again. I seen some of their works before. I believe Rodney is around but not as much. The other I don't know.

Also currently working on a caption that I think is in second person. If anything it is similar to the on that you mention. It be up in a day or two.
Maiden Miki
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Ninian » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:45 am

Maiden Miki wrote:Thanks again. I seen some of their works before. I believe Rodney is around but not as much. The other I don't know.

Also currently working on a caption that I think is in second person. If anything it is similar to the on that you mention. It be up in a day or two.

What could I do for you in return?
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Maiden Miki » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:53 am

Ninian wrote:What could I do for you in return?

haha I don't know to tell the truth. I mean it just a caption. I comment on the new blog I made? Caption featuring me? Anything is fine really. Just glad to make a caption that people will like.
Maiden Miki
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Ninian » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:25 am

Maiden Miki wrote:haha I don't know to tell the truth. I mean it just a caption. I comment on the new blog I made? Caption featuring me? Anything is fine really. Just glad to make a caption that people will like.

We'll figure out something. <3

Thank you.
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Maiden Miki » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:22 pm

I just posted a caption in what I hope is in second person. Hope you like it.
Maiden Miki
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Rodney » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:18 pm

Maiden Miki wrote: I seen some of their works before. I believe Rodney is around but not as much. The other I don't know.

Yeah I'm just lurking now. I've been telling myself a dozen time I should participate more but haven't done so yet.

*lurks*

( Thanks for calling me one of your favorite captioneers Ninian, reading this made me happy )
Rodney
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Ninian » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Rodney wrote:( Thanks for calling me one of your favorite captioneers Ninian, reading this made me happy )

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/ww17 ... 0Captions/

Probably some of the most brilliant ones on MSF, easily. Vibrant, creative, and often twisted in just the right way. I'm a bit biased though, especially enjoying the presence of some of the powerful women you've done.

I'd recommend your vignettes to anyone who is tiring of the stock "(friend) was with (other friend) in (common situation) when (magical macguffin) causes (friend/other friend) to become this image you see on the left. (friend/other friend) reacted and they noticed their new bod(y/ies)! Now (friend/other friend/both of them) (is/are) adapting, but may (live happily ever after/have to go on a date/etc.)"

You also pick good images and write a story that fits them, but write well enough that the image itself isn't necessary. That's kind of a big deal too, because I'm not sure captions will be a "thing" forever. It's a different internet from when MSF was founded, and people tend to want more permission for ethical use of images or media. But that's only tangentially related to my point which is essentially that you're creative and I enjoyed your contributions. Thank you very much for sharing them.
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Maiden Miki » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:01 am

I try to avoid that formula approach that you mention. It kind of makes the caption feel tired out since you see them all the time. Especially when they add the happily ever after part since it very unbelievable. If I want them to have a happily ever after then I make a new one but those tend to be boring. The formula is something that I am trying to avoid to do and slowly breaking away from.

I notice that happen in captions that are too long. The story is nice but you can easily just ignore the image the caption is based. Then again I am guilty of that myself with a lot of my captions. I try to make them short but it is easy for me to just go on and on about the situation. I try to cap my captions to be around 400 words. Rarely I go pass that but when I do it is because I HAVE too in order to get the meaning I want to push. The image itself I try to make it fit best around the story since the story should be molded to fit. If there is a doll in the image then I have to bring up the doll in the caption. If I don't then it just seems too random.

As for permissions I see it like this, you put an image on the internet then you show know it has the chance circulating around different sites. Somebody bound to use it for something and if it is a caption then it isn't no big deal. If the owner of the image contacts me then I be glad to remove the caption or give them credit. Still permissions are the last thing on my mind.
Maiden Miki
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Next

Return to Caption Images