Second person captions?

When a picture inspires the mind and a story forms within.

Moderator: Raleigh

Re: Second person captions?

Postby Ninian » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:18 am

An issue I have with MSF's culture, and one reason I don't tend to stay very long (along with it traditionally being overly dependent on LOL RANDOM and roleplay), is that people are regularly told their work is "awesome" regardless of its actual quality. If it doesn't take any effort to be awesome, what's the point of exerting any? Not to mention that "your work is awesome" isn't very useful feedback because you have no idea what you're doing right, or how you could make it even better. Being awesome at MSF is a door prize and every contributor a winner.

However, I think I'd grow to be pretty loathed quickly if I showed up in most caption topics with what amounts to "by the great TSF kami of 女体化, your captions suck!". Even if it's buried under bloated language and analysis or even sugarcoating, in the end if you have nothing nice to say... well, I'm a believer in that saying. So there's a good reason for my months to years of complete silence. Except, obviously, when I have something nice to say. And I try to make it obvious as to why I feel that way.

So.. um... good work, Miki. You too, Rodney, since you're here.
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Maiden Miki » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:32 am

See, I thought a compliment from you meant something. haha If I was able to get somebody out of retirement to post something good about my captions then I that must mean I was doing something decent. haha Still thanks you. Means a lot to me.

By the way, have you read any captions from this guy? He mostly does bodyswaps but his captions are pretty good. If anything he inspired me to give caption making a try.
Maiden Miki
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Location: Luffy is punching me in the face, while Eneru is laughing about it

Postby Ninian » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:56 am

Maiden Miki wrote:See, I thought a compliment from you meant something. haha If I was able to get somebody out of retirement to post something good about my captions then I that must mean I was doing something decent. haha Still thanks you. Means a lot to me.

By the way, have you read any captions from this guy? He mostly does bodyswaps but his captions are pretty good. If anything he inspired me to give caption making a try.

To be honest, it's been my policy for a while to say nice things to people whenever I can. I've learned a lot of value in being kind to people. The only thing that was holding me back was having a history here to begin with. I considered registering a new name even to do so, but I thought better of it.

I read some of those a while ago but... some of the stories in there just upset or disturb me. There seems to be an element of body swaps that rubs me wrong, perhaps because misogynism seems to come into play often. Either with a man stealing a body that a woman doesn't "deserve", or a woman stealing a man's body because it's an "upgrade". Since my personal fetish is, if anything, admittedly misandrist this runs counter to my liking.

tl;dr -- I like yours more.
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Ninian » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:15 pm

Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Ninian » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:17 pm

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s121 ... /hired.jpg

One by Muffinstud. That uniform looks good on you!
Ninian
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby DivineBandit » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:05 pm

Ninian wrote:
Maiden Miki wrote:See, I thought a compliment from you meant something. haha If I was able to get somebody out of retirement to post something good about my captions then I that must mean I was doing something decent. haha Still thanks you. Means a lot to me.

To be honest, it's been my policy for a while to say nice things to people whenever I can. I've learned a lot of value in being kind to people. The only thing that was holding me back was having a history here to begin with. I considered registering a new name even to do so, but I thought better of it.

I read some of those a while ago but... some of the stories in there just upset or disturb me. There seems to be an element of body swaps that rubs me wrong, perhaps because misogynism seems to come into play often. Either with a man stealing a body that a woman doesn't "deserve", or a woman stealing a man's body because it's an "upgrade". Since my personal fetish is, if anything, admittedly misandrist this runs counter to my liking.

tl;dr -- I like yours more.

Clearly, it's a little long after the fact, but I still want to get in here and say this.

Thank you. It's not that I don't appreciate compliments, but since I started doing captions, I've begged for any criticism where noticed. Even a few months later, you're still the only one I've ever heard raise any kind of objection. I'm not sure if my captions have been affected by your comment since I first read it, but I still very much appreciate the critical response, even if it was provoked. So, thank you again, for being brutally honest.
DivineBandit
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Previous

Return to Caption Images