Caption Prompt 5: Perspective!

When a picture inspires the mind and a story forms within.

Moderator: Raleigh

Caption Prompt 5: Perspective!

Postby muffinstud » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:15 pm

I ran across this picture just a minute ago, and I just couldn't help myself. I personally don't know what to do with it, but I'm sure one of you lovely people will!

The challenge of today is that of perspective. The lovely young woman in the picture below is obviously paying attention to something or someone. In your caption, you must write in the voice of that someone or something. (That doesn't mean you have to use dialog, it just has to be from the perspective of the whatever.)

Link to the pic
"Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river, when you're living...in a van down by the river!" --Matt Foley, motivational speaker
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Re: Caption Prompt 5: Perspective!

Postby UDDCommander » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:09 am

"Hey there, wish granting fairy here. Oh, don't speak little one, I know it's a few years late, but you did get your wish. Instead of being a pretty girl, you've turned into a truly beautiful young woman...and such a lucky one to have a bust that big! I bet the boys will love you! Anyway, I gotta go, being so far behind on wishes really puts a strain on one's schedule, I'll be back to check on you in a year or so, no longer then a decade I promise! Now then enjoy your wish!"
I hate Writer's Block, it's like trying to fight Kefka on level 2 with 1 phoenix down
UDDCommander
Lurking MSFer
Lurking MSFer

Postby Ell » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:02 am

"Haha, surprised?" I asked with his voice. "I told you I was a woman of many talents. Now this whole thing always leaves me a bit tired, so I'll be brief: take that body of mine, go say whatever it is you wanna say to this gal of yours, and be back before sundown. Seriously, BEFORE SUNDOWN. I'm not up to being stuck in this meatsack of yours any longer than necessary... Plus, the paperwork and memory fiddling are nothing but a big headache. We'll handle the matter of your... payment later.

Now scram, kid! I could use a nice nap without any distractions."
"If the wheels of the universe are in true, then good always compensates for evil - but good can be awful as well."
Ell
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby Queen Octavia » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:59 pm

I will attempt to answer this challenge... tomorrow!

I lack inspiration at the moment but I commit to it anyways!

rawr.
Queen Octavia
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Queen Octavia » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:03 pm

Well, again I'm not sure I really met the particular particulars outlined, but this is the caption the image gave to me (I prolly shoulda spellchecked it b4 posting but I'm sleepy and I said I'd do it today so here it is):

Alistair In...

The man standing by the highway checked his watch irritably, frowning at the time. "Oh no, I shall be late. Oh dear," he grumbled. He was a nondescript fellow, with a nondescript face. In fact, he didn't look like anything at all, largely because he looked nothing like he looked. That didn't bother him any.

What did bother him, though, was the tardiness of his guest. Of course his guest could hardly be blamed, since they did not yet know they were invited, or even who he was, but it was still rather rude to make people wait on you, the man thought.

Finally, after goodness only knows how long spent watching the occasional car zipping by on the highway once every fifteen minutes or so (He was rather out of the way in the countryside), his guest finally arrived.

He knew it was his guest the moment he saw the car crest the hill just around the bend. Sputtering and making pitiful noises, the car glided to a stop, the engine giving one final sputter as it expired. Stepping out of his now defunct car after pulling over by the man, the guest gave the waiting man a sheepish smile.

The man gave his guest a smile in return. The guest couldn't really make much of the man out, an ordinary looking fellow with an ordinary smile, he seemed a trustworthy sort. Of course the man's smile looked nothing like what it looked, so at the moment it just sort of looked like nothing, and the guest could not remark upon it overmuch.

"Er - hello there sir. My name is Alistair, and I'm having some car problems..." the guest trailed off. Looking at Alistair, the man saw that he looked like what he looked, which was normal for normal folk. In Alistair's case that meant looking about six feet tall, perhaps a touch more or less, with curly brown hair with just a hint of golden blond in it. A decently broad set of shoulders on him, and he looked to be somewhere around twenty, or perhaps a bit less. He also looked quite embarassed, at the moment.

"Car trouble, eh? I can see that much," the man remarked upon the only remarkable thing about the situation. Things were altogether too unremarkable out here, for the man's taste.

"Ah - yes," Alistair nodded, a bit more meekly than you would expect from a man of his stature, "I guess I am in need of a tow. Would you happen to know the number of a local company?"

The man nodded and grumbled, "Yes, yes. We had best get going. Don't want you to be late. I have a phonebook at home at the farm, come with me and I'll look one up for you. No doubt it will be a long wait for it to come, and you can wait inside out of this hot sun."

"Why, thank you sir. I always heard that people were friendlier out in the country, but I'd never imagine I'd have a need to find out," Alistair said. The man began walking away from the road, into a field of sunflowers.

"Just follow me, follow me lad. Shortest way's through here, come along, come along," he said. Unseen by the lad, a grin spread over his face. With no one to look at what it looked like, it looked as it looked, and looked rather roguish at that.

As they moved deeper into the field, Alistair was thankful he had dressed lightly. His shorts, t-shirt and hiking boots would serve him well on this walk. "How far to the farm?" he asked the man.

"Not far, not far, just follow me," said the man, and for a moment Alistair could have sworn the man's ears twitched. A silly thought though, and Alistair ignored it.

He was grateful to have the man for a guide, for this field seemed quite large and confusing. Alistair looked back at the road for reassurance. It was still there, but the heat rising from the pavement made it a little hazy looking.

Speaking of hazy, the heat sure was beginning to get to Alistiar. The man took a look back and snickered to himself. The youth was beginning to sweat, and feel a little light headed and dizzy. "I think all this pollen must be getting to me. I didn't think I was allergic, but I'm beginning to feel a strange tingling sensation. I hope it's not much farther," he inquired.

The man turned to Alistair to assure him, "Oh don't worry, we'll make it in time. We mustn't be late."

Alistair did a double take. Were those whiskers on the man's face? Almost like a cat's? No. The heat must be getting to him. He felt most peculiar indeed, every pulse of his heart sent out a tingling ripple out to the tips of his fingers and toes that made every nerve in his body twitch just a little on the way out and once again on the way back in.

Beginning to feel a little frightened by the situation, Alistair took another look back to see how far he was from the road. Much to his distress, he could see nothing but Sunflowers blocking his view. He had not noticed them becoming so tall... or so dense. They practically formed solid walls of a maze. He gulped at the thought, then assured himself that it was just a simple field.

Looking at his guide's ears, though, Alistair saw that they were standing upright atop his head a good three or four inches. He stopped in his tracks. "Um - sir. I think... I think I'll just go back to my car," he said uneasily.

His guide turned around, and Alistair winced as he saw whiskers on the man's face again. Not like a cat though, like on... a rabbit. "Oh dear, look at you, all red in the face. I think this heat has got to you, you must have a fever," he said. Moving quickly, before Alistair could react, he had a hand upon Alistair's forehead. "Yes, yes, just as I feared... we must get you inside in the shade before you start hallucinating. Come. We are almost there.

Alistair hesitated. His head did feel very warm... and rather fuzzy. "Okay... I suppose you're right," Alistair reasoned that it would do no good if he ran off and collapsed alone. He had no choice but to stick with this man. "I never did catch your name though, sir."

"Oh how silly of me," the man giggled, "My name is Mr White. Now just come along, come along. We don't want to be late."

They went along for a while longer, and Alistair began to feel a bit better. He heard Mr White humming, and strained to catch the words:

"... on time for a change, changes in time, timed the changes as the time keeps on changing..."

It was a very odd little ditty, and Alistair could swear that the man was growing taller as they went along. No, it wasn't that the man was growing taller, it was that he was hopping a little with each step. Or was it both that he was growing taller and that he was hopping?

Now that Alistair's head was finally clear, he took a good look at Mr White. He had never really been sure what the man had looked like before, despite having looked directly at him. Had he been tall? Short? Blue eyed? Alistair had no idea. However, he now could make out the man in front of him.

Mr White was indeed hopping, hopping like a rabbit, a rabbit who had long ears, downy white fur and a fluffy rabbit tail. He was, in fact, a rabbit. That is, if rabbits could possibly be as tall as Mr White, at around four feet. Much shorter than he had thought he was, but still impossibly tall for a rabbit.

"You -" Alistair gaped, "-are a rabbit."

"Why of course I am what I am now that we are where we are, didn't I tell you it wasn't far?" the talking rabbit laughed, and flicked his ear with one of his paws.

"I am seriously ill," Alistair rationalized, "I'm calling 911."

Mr White guffawed as Alistair rooted helplessly through his two pockets looking for what wasn't there any longer. "Searching for this?" he asked, taking out Alistair's cell phone from behind his back and dangling it in the air.

"Give that back!" Alistair demanded, and leapt forward to grab it. Mr White, however, deftly hopped two yards backwards and Alistair fell flat on his face.

"If you want it back," Mr white turned around, "Then you'll just have to catch me!" he taunted over his shoulder, and hopped quickly forward and around a bend in the sunflowers.

Cursing, Alistair darted after him, but no matter how hard he ran Mr White outpaced him. Alistair paid no mind to the fact that he was chasing headlong deeper and deeper into the magic of the field, and the further he went the more impossible it would be to go back...

... And the more the magic of the field began to take ahold of him.

The dormant seeds that had been placed in him from the pollen the moment he entered began to bloom, drawing strength from the power of the tall, dense wall of plants surrounding Alistair.

First his feet began to shrink, rapidly. Every stride he ran, they shrank a size smaller. He was running full speed, almost caught up when it started. Two strides - a little more. Four strides - just a bit closer. Then, finally, his feet hopelessly small for his height and him unused to them, he tumbled to the ground and Mr White hopped out of reach, laughing.

Alistair looked at his feet in shock. They had become so much smaller, and his hiking boots... had turned into a pair of woman's flats colored a dark maroon. Although it was impossible, they fit him perfectly.

"Teeheehee," the rabit laughed, "It's too late for you, I brought you here right on time, and now there's no escape. You're at the center where the magic is strongest, where your world's rules and power fades and the path into mine begins." Mr White checked his pocketwatch, and was pleased with what he saw.

Stunned, Alistair could only watch as his plain white socks darkened to black as they climbed up his legs and thinned out into a pair of tights. As they moved upwards they reshaped his legs from being hairy and stocky to being sleek, smooth and well-defined, all the way from the calves to the thighs.

"Oh no," leaping to his feet, Alistair spun about, "I'm getting out of here!"

Facing the way he had run in, he found only a solid wall of sunflowers. He tried to move them aside, but they were impossibly thick and there were just too many of them to get by.

The white rabbit laughed, as he looked at Alistair's shorts from behind as they changed. They shifted to a shade to match his new shoes, with dark lines forming a pattern of squares. The shorts crept upward higher on his thighs, becoming a rather short skirt.

Mr White had a very good view, but even from his angle it was hard to say which of the two happened - whether the skirt adjusted to fit Alistair's expanding hips and butt, or whether his body adjusted itself to fit the skirt. Either way, the result was the same - a sylish skirt showing off very womanly curves.

Alistair gave up pounding futilely against the wall of vegetation, and winced as he ran his hands over the sexy contours of his new behind. He raised his gaze upward, following the massive sunflowers up and up. They towered over his head, leaning forward with their own massive weight, and still they went up and up higher still. They leaned more and more as they climbed, until they drooped out flat - forming a dome where the tops of all the sunflowers met in the middle. A solid dome - with no escape. The light was dim, but enough sunlight pieced through the spaces inbetween sunflowers at the top for Alistair to make out the continuing changes in horror.

His skirt was not done yet, it would appear. Extra fabric grew from nothing to climb up his shirt. It climbed up his waist - and in, as curves formed from his wide waist to his narrowing hips. Rising past his redefined midriff - now devoid of most muscle, save for a thin layer of tone to define his tummy - it climbed up until it made smooth straps over his shoulders. The straps tugged down and his shoulders complied, no longer broad and manly but now sleeker and more feminine. The skirt had become a lovely little dress, done up by three gold buttons in the front.

Refusing to look at what was becoming of his body before his eyes and seeing no point in further examining the prison that held him, Alistair turned on his captor, "You!" he shouted at Mr White, "Stop this at once!"

The rabbit only chuckled, "This is none of my doing. Am I to blame simply because I led? You followed, you followed. What is begun cannot be undone, now just hurry up or we may yet be late," he said as he examined his pocket watch in great detail.

"Why, you-!" Alistair glowered as he leapt forward, intending to give this foul rabbit a solid clouting.

Even as he moved, though, the changes contined. His plain white shirt now began to alter - albeit subtly. It became silky, soft, and beneath it what hair he had on his chest faded away into nothingness. His arms within the shirt sleeves lost their strength, and his hands became soft and delicate. At the top of the shirt, a yellow frill spouted out, and as it did his neck became slightly longer - not quite elegant and swanlike, by any means, but more so than it had been before. Mr White watched the changes closely as Alistair charged towards him.

Now that Alistair was near, the rabbit fell onto his back to free up his front paws, and gave Alistair a mighty kick with both legs. The kick landed solidly on Alistairs (still flat) chest, and knocked him back several paces.

Flying through the air, Alistair saw his hair out in front of him as he flew back. It was much longer than it had been, and now it was a dazzling emerald green. He could not see it, but his face had finally changed too. It was now round and womanly. Gone was his well defined chin and his facial hair, instead replaced by a petit nose, petulant mouth and alluring eyes. It was a woman's face - but not the harsh strict lines of high cheekbones, but rather a more homely rounded sort of comeliness.

It was good for Alistair that he had a nice soft behind to land on now, though he was far from grateful for it. Winded, he could do nothing but pause to recover his breath for a moment as the rabbit laughed at him.

What he felt next sent a tingle of dread down his spine. Behind the shirt he felt a new fabric forming against his skin. A lacy fabric, forming on his chest. Although it was out of sight, he knew it for a bra as he felt the straps reaching up his shoulders and around his back, and he shuddered when it clasped up behind him.

For a moment, he thought he was done with it, surely just because he had on a bra now did not mean - and then his flesh tingled and his eyes shot open at the sensation flooding his brain. The growth happened so fast, he blinked and missed it. One moment his chest was flat, the next two huge teardrops sprouted out in a proud declaration of womanhood. He raised a hand to his prodigious breasts and shuddered as their soft malleable flesh felt the probing touch of his grasping palms.

Paniced, he sent a hand to his groin, and has relieved that his manhood, at least, was still in tact. His boxer shorts were as yet unaltered - although they were now covered by tights and a dress what they contained was unaffected. Perhaps the magic of this place was not strong enough to change that, he hoped.

It was almost as if the place heard his thoughts, for the moment they went through his head, he felt it. "No!", he cried, "No! I am not a woman!". The moment he felt the change happening in his undergarments, he darted his hands to remove them, but he was too late.

The fabric of his boxers melted away, leaving only a narrow strip in back, and a tightening triangle in front. He could feel the tightening pressing against his manhood as he lifted the dress to try and pull it off, but he was still too late. As it tightened his manhood gave way, putting up no resistance at all (despite his desperate cries) as it was pushed back by the enclosing material. Soon his new thong rested flat against his groin, and there was only room enough behind it for a womanly mound like the one he now possessed.

Alistair lifted her skirt only in time to view her tights covering a pink thong laying flat over her crotch. She broke out in sudden tears, helpless and overwhelmed by her situation. She could have spent hours there, hopeless, defeated, sobbing, but when she heard the rabbit laughing at her she abruptly stopped. Her sadness turned to rage focused on the target in front of her.

"You will pay for what you've done to me!" Alistair wailed, not even flinching at the womanly voice she now possessed.

"Oh, hush hush. You had to be properly dressed for the party. It has been so very long since we had a good tea party. Now come, come. We mustn't be late. It's a very important date!" the white rabbit hopped back twice, and revealed a large hole in the ground Alistair had not seen before. Mr White hopped in, disappearing from view.

The sunflowers forming a dome overheard suddenly retreated to a normal height, and the clear blue sky was visible overhead. A straight path was open in the sunflowers, now no longer as dense as they were, and it ran all the way back to where she could see her car in the distance.

It looked like she was free to go back no, if she desired. But then she would be stuck as... as... she did not want to be stuck. Not like this.

Hesitantly, Alistair approached the hole. Chasing him had not got her very far, and now she had a choice before her. As she saw it, she had very little to lose at this point and her old gender to perhaps gain.

It was time to see how deep this rabbit hole went.
Queen Octavia
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Brnin8r » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:13 pm

Lol...when inspiration rains it pours. Excellent job Uberlurker.

*cracks knuckles* Won't be nearly as long or cool but I'll give it a whirl.

The spirit within the ancient necklace chuckled. For too long it had waited in the backshelves of treasuries, traded off for useless wares, hung in museums, and most recently laying in a grungy pawn shop the last five years. When the boy had taken interest in it, the earth-spirit quivered with excitement.
With a bit of bargaining, the boy had what he thought was the coolest necklace ever. As he crossed the fields of sunflowers to get to his parents' farm he placed it on. In anticipation the spirit dove deep within the boys soul, warping his features to fit her original parameters before she was locked within the accursed bauble. The boy cried in agony and pain, though in the field no one heard. In reflex, the boy pulled hard on the jewelry, snapping the leather thong around his neck forcing the spirit from his body and causing the reliquary/prison to fall to the ground. The now-frustrated spirit gazed up at the new woman above it and hoped with all its might that the girl would pick it up and try it on again...so she could finally possess a host.
It's not about how much dough you make -- it's about how delicious a pizza you eat at the end.

http://swalrus.deviantart.com/ An ancient dA page that is thinking about standing up again someday.
Brnin8r
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Location: In a quiet home reading quiet books about loud worlds.

Postby Queen Octavia » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:43 am

[/lurk]

I don't think it's so much a matter of inspiration as it is a matter of my repressed desire to write a story for here resulting in exponentially longer captions >>. I could've cut that one down to 100 words... but the detail I had when I dreamed it was more like 20,000 words and I tried to condense but I'm a fast typist and suddenly it turned into a wall'o'text ><. I hope people put up with it anyways.

On the subject of your caption, you certainly adhered to the challenge (IE perspective) much better than I did ^^. I think you did a good job of telling your story while adhering to a proper captiony length. Although you used few words the ones you used carried their weight, especially how you characterized the spirit as "frustrated". Trying to do a good caption and keep it short is like writing a poem (only a few words, make them the right ones and put 'em in the right order!) and you succeeded. I cheated by being longwinded ;p.

I enjoyed reading your (and other's) caption in the challenge threads muffin made or other threads...

It was all the spiffy captions like yours and others, which used to be linked from the old main page that drew me into MSF... with the current homepage I wouldn't have stayed more than two minutes.

[lurk]
Queen Octavia
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Brnin8r » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:24 am

Ah yes. Back in the day when this was a site of captions that occasionally people would roleplay on as a side-bonus in the forums. How I miss those. And I agree with you as well, I'd never have stayed were it just a roleplaying forum. It was the HUNDREDS of captions that never ended as I digested day after day.
It's not about how much dough you make -- it's about how delicious a pizza you eat at the end.

http://swalrus.deviantart.com/ An ancient dA page that is thinking about standing up again someday.
Brnin8r
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Location: In a quiet home reading quiet books about loud worlds.

Postby yugi83 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:38 am

"Ok, I know I wished to be a big idol and all but this is overdoing it a bit much. Not only am I now a girl, I just squashed half of New York."
yugi83
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby Jacqueline » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:56 pm

Late night musings:

"When I told you to try a different perspective, this isn't what I had in mind!"
"Yeah, I don't get why I'm a girl either!"
Check out the test to find out who you are!
Jacqueline
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby muffinstud » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:12 am

[also yearns for the days when this place abounded with content]

Awesome captions, folks. Uber, you... if you feel like you've failed in any way, please allow me to slap you with the codfish of reality. That caption was the anti-fail.
"Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river, when you're living...in a van down by the river!" --Matt Foley, motivational speaker
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Return to Caption Images