Yugi83's attempts at captions

When a picture inspires the mind and a story forms within.

Moderator: Raleigh

Yugi83's attempts at captions

Postby yugi83 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:21 am

None of this art is mine, it is pics that I found on Google Images so if any need to be removed let me know. And without further adeu, I give you: the "Note to Self"s.

http://s980.photobucket.com/albums/ae28 ... aption.png
Last edited by yugi83 on Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yugi83
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Re: Yugi83's attempts at captions

Postby Blaze » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:30 am

Well yugi, I hope you don't mind some criticism.

Your first one is good. It leaves no doubt in the reader's mind what happened. But your second one... simply put, had you not posted it in a TG Captions forum, the reader has no way of knowing that the maid in it was once a man. Smiling to the customers and asking how much sugar they like in their tea is basic hospitality. Unless the sugar turns you into a girl if you have two lumps, that caption could be a pinup in the employee bathroom in any cafe in the world.
Blaze
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby yugi83 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:04 pm

Blazerkin wrote:Well yugi, I hope you don't mind some criticism.

Your first one is good. It leaves no doubt in the reader's mind what happened. But your second one... simply put, had you not posted it in a TG Captions forum, the reader has no way of knowing that the maid in it was once a man. Smiling to the customers and asking how much sugar they like in their tea is basic hospitality. Unless the sugar turns you into a girl if you have two lumps, that caption could be a pinup in the employee bathroom in any cafe in the world.

Thanks Blazerkin, I'm going to redo this one now.
yugi83
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby Kumi-chan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:46 pm

Really both aren't very clear on the TG. And the second one had major cut off problems.
Kumi-chan
Spaminator
Spaminator

Postby Queen Octavia » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:39 pm

#1 was definitely better than #2.

Both were a bit vague... but you get +11 bonus points for using a Code Geass picture!

<3 Geass
Queen Octavia
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby yugi83 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:26 pm

UberLurker wrote:#1 was definitely better than #2.

Both were a bit vague... but you get +11 bonus points for using a Code Geass picture!

<3 Geass

Any tips on how to make them better?
yugi83
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby Queen Octavia » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:35 pm

yugi83 wrote:Any tips on how to make them better?

While short captions can be quick and fun, longer ones are usually better.

Using some descriptive words (But not necessarily too many) about the new form seen in the image is sometimes good.

Jokes are fun, and puns are even more funs.

Those're just my opinions though, I'm hardly an authority on the matter, as I seldom do captions (Past few days aside).
Queen Octavia
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby yugi83 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:47 am

yugi83
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby dr5 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:18 pm

the captions are cut off I cannot read them all
dr5
Lurking MSFer
Lurking MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:27 pm

Yeah; that's the stupid prosilver style for you. In the end, it's better to simply link to the captions.

As for the captions: eh... so-so. The literary portion is good (which is always nice), but I'm not really engaged by the content. That might just be me, though.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Queen Octavia » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:05 pm

I reserve judgement for when I can read the last bit. I just stopped when I noticed the cut off.
Queen Octavia
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Sasha » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:18 pm

right click on em and choose view pic you'll see it all.
Sasha
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby muffinstud » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:01 pm

Regarding the cutoffs, that's where the links come in handy. Just link to the image file, and people can see it as big as you intended it to be.
That, and it's friendlier to the poor saps who are getting beaten by the AOL dialup stick.

First, the bad. For the most part, it all has the same kind of tone to it that most beginning captioneers have (myself included). Meaning, they feel a little disjointed. The Morgan LeFey one is a prime example of this, as it just seems to jump from one thought to the next without any real segways.

Second, the good. GRAMMAR! HONEST TO GOODNESS EFFORT WITH GRAMMAR! Thank you for knowing how to use the English language well enough to be understood. Also, with a little better delivery, the ribbon dancer caption could be quite fun. It's different enough that it could, with a few tweaks, be a good caption.

If you feel discouraged, take a look at some of the different folks' earlier captions. I know I, personally, had some bad habits with my earlier stuff. But keep at it and keep practicing and you'll find yourself doing better.
"Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river, when you're living...in a van down by the river!" --Matt Foley, motivational speaker
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby yugi83 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:53 pm

muffinstud wrote:Regarding the cutoffs, that's where the links come in handy. Just link to the image file, and people can see it as big as you intended it to be.
That, and it's friendlier to the poor saps who are getting beaten by the AOL dialup stick.

First, the bad. For the most part, it all has the same kind of tone to it that most beginning captioneers have (myself included). Meaning, they feel a little disjointed. The Morgan LeFey one is a prime example of this, as it just seems to jump from one thought to the next without any real segways.

Second, the good. GRAMMAR! HONEST TO GOODNESS EFFORT WITH GRAMMAR! Thank you for knowing how to use the English language well enough to be understood. Also, with a little better delivery, the ribbon dancer caption could be quite fun. It's different enough that it could, with a few tweaks, be a good caption.

If you feel discouraged, take a look at some of the different folks' earlier captions. I know I, personally, had some bad habits with my earlier stuff. But keep at it and keep practicing and you'll find yourself doing better.

Thanks for the critique. Perhaps I can run any future captions by you for critque first?
yugi83
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Return to Caption Images