Whatevr's Captions--criticism encouraged

When a picture inspires the mind and a story forms within.

Moderator: Raleigh

Re: Criticism wanted

Postby Dark Scout Cyclondia » Fri May 30, 2008 10:08 am

Your latest captions are completely awesome! Keep up the great work!
Dark Scout Cyclondia

Postby Lucky » Fri May 30, 2008 9:04 pm

Whatevr89532 wrote:Uhh...trying to look into that, but I'm not sure exactly which ones you mean because I can't really remember which ones were made when--my brain is consistently frazzled. Erm, could I maybe have the titles of a few?
It may just be because I made them in mostly the same day...

Well. There still great captions all the same. I just meant as a way to try to push your self foreword. They can still have the same theams. Just think of new ways to do them.

;)
Lucky
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Whatevr89532 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:24 am

Hn.. Just thought I should let people know there's a few new ones...

Also, I know the picture for one of them has been used before (by someone else), but I had a good idea for it and wanted to try anyway...
I am the variable-gender werewolf.
My TG Captions. Stories are also here. PM me if interested in source images...
A caption challenges blog, where I challenge you!

(Old Muffin Room characters purged; new character list here)
Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby muffinstud » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:47 pm

Well, since I haven't posted on any of your stuff yet, this will apply to all of your captions, not just the ones you just put up.

GOOD JOB!

I heartily enjoy your enthusiasm for captions, and you have a nice variety of characters as well. I too am not a fan of the mental changes. All in all, you remind me of me when I was me when I was starting out as myself. Me.
If you're wanting some criticism, I have some suggestions. First, try a new perspective or type of environment. So far, most of your captions are from a transformee's point of view (or a 3rd person that is quite close to it). Try the same kind of transformation, but with some spectators. Or try the private transformation, but from a "fly on the wall's" point of view. Who knows? Maybe some new and interesting sources of transformations will come of it. I personally do it to keep myself from getting into ruts. Most of all, just do what feels natural and have fun. If you don't have fun with a caption, what are the chances that your audience will? Second, it would be nice if you would mention the title of the new captions in your posts, so as to make finding them a little easier. You're starting to get a decent collection to sift through, and you don't want people getting lost in there. Or do you? (rubs hands together and starts plotting menacingly) Yes... I see it now. Caption traps...

Keep up the good work. You have great potential and I thoroughly enjoy your work. I hope to see more.
"Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river, when you're living...in a van down by the river!" --Matt Foley, motivational speaker
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Whatevr89532 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:14 pm

:) :) :) :)
Thank you very much, muffinstud...I think I've read your stories, or at least some of 'em. I'd give you a cookie, but you'd probably suspect it was laced with something.

It totally would be

Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Whatevr89532 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:25 am

Okay, three new ones up now. "Crime" and "Punishment" are not intended to be read independently, as the first is dissatisfying without the second and the second doesn't make much sense without the first. Also, I know they're really short--guess I felt like doing short and sweet. "BFFs" was an attempt to use a different point of view...and is a lot longer apparently as a result. Also, as it says on the image, the picture was from Firingwall...

Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby muffinstud » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:45 pm

Whatevr89532 wrote::) :) :) :)
Thank you very much, muffinstud...I think I've read your stories, or at least some of 'em. I'd give you a cookie, but you'd probably suspect it was laced with something.

You're very welcome, but it seems now I have to thank you. I have to admit that I really liked "BFF's". It just seemed so casual, and that's something unusual (and good) in a caption. Also liked the storytelling between "Crime" and "Punishment".

Oh, and the cookies? Despite implications of cannibalism, I'd still eat it, but only after force feeding a bit to Rowan.
"Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river, when you're living...in a van down by the river!" --Matt Foley, motivational speaker
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Whatevr89532 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:29 pm

There are four new ones, I can't recall the exact names at the moment but might re-post or edit this one with their titles later...

Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Lucky » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:20 am

I think these are some of your best captions yet! very well written.
Lucky
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Whatevr89532 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:39 pm

I've had a bunch of time and/or inspiration issues (one seems to be missing whenever the other isn't), so I may be restricting myself to captions for awhile longer. However, there are new ones in the works and at least one posted since the last post in this thread. 'Fortune' is the most recent, I think, and the serieses now have their own area within the album, with numberings and everything :).

Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Sailor Ganymede » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:18 pm

Fortune was an excellent caption!
Sailor Ganymede
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Whatevr89532 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:41 am

Thanks. :)
There were a couple more posted last night, far later than I ought've been up....

Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Sailor Ganymede » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:49 pm

Femme Fatale and Wonderful were also really awesome captions! Keep up the great work! Good going!
Sailor Ganymede
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Whatevr89532 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:58 pm

A few new ones...
Graffiti, Uncommon Cold, Black Butterfly (I must apologize profusely for the way that photobucket cut off the title of this one while looking through the album...).

Whatevr89532
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby muffinstud » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:45 pm

Just consider what problems there would be if you switched the titles and had one called "Uncommon Butterfly", or "What an Assisstant!"

Of the three new ones, Uncommon Cold is my personal favorite because of the nice description, choice of words, and how the ending almost feels like a punch line. You've progressed quite well. As Strong Bad would say, you have "The Skills of an Artist."

Now, I have a challenge for you. You do well with creating characters during transformations. What say find a couple of images with the same character in it (game cg's accomplish this easily) and have one pic be the transformation, the other be some hairy situation your recent transformee has gotten into. Essentially, what I'd like to see is not just how the character becomes her new self, but how she handles a situation.

If you have any questions, The Oh So Nekkid One has tips, pics, and jarred farts for sale. I'd stay away from the fart jars though. I opened one a couple months ago and the paint is still peeling off the walls.
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

PreviousNext

Return to Caption Images