Book recommendations: Fantasy

Want to discuss something but don't feel like being General about it? We've got you covered~! Within is the place for all things entertainment, from the media side of things. Movies, Books, Games, Roleplaying Games, all are welcome here~

Postby Queen Octavia » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:24 am

Yeah, Dresden is solid stuff. I saw it on TV and when I heard it wased based on novels I had to read 'em, since I <3 books much more than TV. What I really want are some good Battlestar Galactica books - if they don't show up I'll have to write fanfiction.... Everyone knows that everytime a document is uploaded to fanfiction.net a kitten dies ;p.
Queen Octavia
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Raleigh » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:15 am

In that case, I need to write a few more fanfics. Kittens tend to dislike me so I try to return the favor where I can, j/k.

I would like to recommend the first 10 books or there abouts of the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. He gets preachy in his later books, but the first few were humerous and interesting. Gotta love a character that is ranked Magician level simply because his power turns magic back on itself.

I also agree with Oshaberi about Tailchaser's Song. If you happen to like stories of intellegent animals, I recommend that one. I only read that book about 3 times over, which is rare since I almost never reread a book due to me memorizing almost every page as I read it the first time.

I'll admit I haven't been as up to reading fantasy books as one would think, what with being a member of the Science Fiction book club for about 4 years, but I find it hard to find any books that are decent. One series I absolutely advise you to stay away from is the Riverrun Trilogy. Trust me, that one will mess up your head with some of its twisted little turns and the like. Just DO NOT read it unless you want to have your mind all sorts of messed up for awhile.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
Raleigh
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Lucky » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:25 pm

So wait, only fantsey?
Becaues I just read some REALY good westrens.
>__>

UberLurker wrote:Yeah, Dresden is solid stuff. I saw it on TV and when I heard it wased based on novels I had to read 'em, since I <3 books much more than TV. What I really want are some good Battlestar Galactica books - if they don't show up I'll have to write fanfiction.... Everyone knows that everytime a document is uploaded to fanfiction.net a kitten dies ;p.

Ever read the Halo/Land Befor Time Cross over? I only got threw the 1st of what is probly 12-ish pages. I felt my brain cells slowly dieing.
Lucky
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Katana no Getsu » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:48 pm

mercedes lackey is a great fantasy writer i sugjest thebardic voices series the bedlams bard series and right now im reading shadow of the lion all lackey books and dave duncans talkes of the kings blades is also rather good
Katana no Getsu

Postby Nylena » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:54 am

William Mark Simmons' Christopher Cséjthe (Half/Life) book series:

One Foot In the Grave
Dead on my Feet
Habeas Corpses
Dead Easy

Christopher was an ordinary family man until one night while on vacation with his family, they were in an auto accident and Chris woke up in the morgue with his family next to him. Turns out that after the accident his body was dragged away to be used in a resurrection ritual for Dracula. The transfusion of his blood into Dracula gave him half of the virus that turns the living into the undead. Chris is not happy. His family is dead and he keeps being led deeper and deeper into the world of the supernatural, surviving by his wit and newly gained not quite near-superhuman powers and later, gains even stranger powers.

Over the course of the books he is turned half vampire, falls in love with a werewolf, gets love advice from the ghost of his dead wife, turns into more than a vampire, battles ancient Egyptian evil, becomes head of the New York vampire enclave, battles ancient demonic evil, battles not so ancient German evil, battles ancient extraterrestrial evil and throws out one-liners, quips, humorous observations and insults by the truckload.

It's a very fun series, in my personal opinion. Especially if you enjoy pop culture references.

Oh, he meets Captain Nemo, too.
"Dragon Lady takes you by the heart
Try to run but before you start
Dragon Lady's got you by the heart
Dragon Lady takes you by the heart
The Dragon Lady's got you
And she won't let go...." - Blue Oyster Cult
Nylena
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Re: Book recommendations: Fantasy

Postby eledrien » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:34 pm

I have always heard good things about terry goodkind and was thinking about reading some of his stuff. But before I commit to an 10 book series, I was wondering what is his work most like. I've tried to read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and I couldnt make it past halfway through the second book so it kind of felt like a waste and I wouldnt like a repeat of that...
eledrien
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Postby Xia » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:33 am

Its probably one of my favorite series, I started reading when it came out and followed it right to the end.

each book is a very compelling read from start to finish.
~Between Sanity and Madness lies Genius
Between Genius and Madness I come~
Xia
Sensei
Sensei

Postby Kether » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:36 am

Also you will be a Randian Objectivist by the end! Its Atlas Shrugged.. with MAGIC! and S&M!
"I'M MALFEAS I CAN DO WHAT I WANT
WHATEVER I'VE GOT AM GONNA FLAUNT!
THERE'S NEVER BEEN A ROCK OFF THAT I'VE EVER LOST!"
Kether
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Xia » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:38 am

and hot red leather outfits~! :3

Randian Objectivist? not necessarily, but it does get close
~Between Sanity and Madness lies Genius
Between Genius and Madness I come~
Xia
Sensei
Sensei

Postby Kether » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:43 am

Its not Narnian level of preaching but its fairly obvious that Goodkind has strong Objectivist views... the whole "Life" sculpture being the most obvious point
Kether
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Sophia Anieri » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:12 pm

I stopped buying them after Faith of the Fallen. Believe it or not, I hadn't noticed until then that he had a political axe to grind.
Tell me, for what price would you give up hope?
Would you follow the will o' the wisp of the brightest morning star?
How far?
Sophia Anieri
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Helel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Xia wrote:and hot red leather outfits~! :3

Randian Objectivist? not necessarily, but it does get close

Only with more torture scenes.

And an awesome football-like game in the end that's explained in detail. The Game of Life is sweet.
Helel
Hisho
Hisho

Postby Kether » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:03 am

Sophia Anieri wrote:I stopped buying them after Faith of the Fallen. Believe it or not, I hadn't noticed until then that he had a political axe to grind.

it becomes more obvious as the books go along, and its not so much he has something to grind as its his personal philosphy, as I said its not Narnia or His Dark Materials trying to preach its just he sees randian Objectivism as truth and thus works from there.
Kether
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Kris_Roth » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:44 am

There are a set of books called "Left Behind." Apparently, they made a video game (MMORPG) called Left Behind: Tribulation Forces. It's set in the near future, where reports of people simply dissapearing. Those left behind have not only to deal with the lost of their children, spouses, and or friends, neighbors, and/or co-workers, but a charasmatic leader named Nicolas Carpathian (the Anti-Christ) comes to power amid the chaos, and begins to implement his one world order government policies (B-Chips are implanted into all new babies and others for buying or selling, so no cash is needed). The B-Chip is a monitoring device to track people's movements, and can be implanted under the skin of the hand or forehead of the person (Mark of the Beast, hence the B-chip moniker). There are a faithful few who resist the New World Order of the Anti-Christ, who somehow makes peace for 7 years, yet breaks the peace in 3 1/2 years.
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Previous

Return to Anime, Manga, and Games (Oh My!)