Manga Recommendations

Want to discuss something but don't feel like being General about it? We've got you covered~! Within is the place for all things entertainment, from the media side of things. Movies, Books, Games, Roleplaying Games, all are welcome here~

Postby Ell » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:55 pm

Four words: King of Bandit Jing - A manga about a young boy, the self-proclaimed king of thieves, and his journey throughout a very strange and surreal world in search of fantastic treasures. Along with his sidekick, the flirtatious albatross - yes, albatross - Kir (who also doubles as his partner's wrist mounted death beam), Jing faces ghost ships, exploding plushie-bombs, and much more as he pulls off his heists, often capturing the hearts of beautiful women in the process. The characters are unique and quirky, the action is fast paced, and the artwork is like crack for the eyes.
"If the wheels of the universe are in true, then good always compensates for evil - but good can be awful as well."
Ell
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Re: Manga Recommendations

Postby Skyblue » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:28 am

Lessee...good Manga.

1/2 Prince, its korean but findable if you look online hard enough. Fun read and has TG material. Highly recommended.

Angel Densetsu, don't mind the art it gets better. The story is comedic GOLD!! it feeds on misunderstandings and hilarity!

Change 1 2 3, similar in vain to ranma 1/2....sorta....oh just read it! Its chock full of fanservice and kickbutt!
All swords have a spirit, a True swordsman knows this is the first step to true mastery.
Character Page: http://www.magicalsailorfuku.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14864
Skyblue
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby Blaze » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:09 am

How is One Piece not here yet?

I know over 500 chapters are rather intimidating, but it's still well worth it. How many mangas have a cyborg with an Ace Ventura hairdo who only wears Hawaiian shirts and speedos? There's also a bit of TG later on in the form of Emporio Ivankov.
Blaze
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Kris_Roth » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:25 pm

Naruto/Naruto Shippouden: The Oroite no Jutsu (Sexy Jutsu) scene where Naruto meets Ero-Sannin was so funny in both manga and anime form. They have it on Youtube in Japanese and English.

Dragonball Z and Dr. Slump (the little android girl Arale from Dr Slump, and her friends is in the Dragonball anime, when little goku faces the Red Ribbon army, and Dr Slump and Arale help Goku fight the RRA, and then get him a new Dragon Radar so he can search for the Dragonballs.

Best part when Emperor Pilaf gets all 7 dragonballs, and is about to make a wish, Oolong the shapeshifting pig wishes for a pair of girl's panties, which he wears on his head. It's the 1st wish they made on the Dragonballs, and in GT, Oceanus/Oceana Shenron, who has the 6 star dragonball, was created from that 1st wish. Also on Youtube.

Tokyo Mew Mew/Tokyo Mew Mew a la Mode

Sailor Moon
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Lioconvoy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:36 pm

Kampher, mange better than the Anime. Kampher is based on a light novel and is about girls that battle for the Moderators. As of yet we don't know who the moderators are. However the main character is male, and after being chosen as a Kampher he becomes female when other Kamphers are around.

Angel Heart; A sort of sequal to City Hunter that takes place in an alternate universe than the original. Still its a great mix of silly and serious.

We are Mint; By the author of Utral Maniac and Marmalade bot it's about a brother who registers as a girl at the junior high school his sister tranfered to to try and bring her back home.
The White Lion, still the same since May 20, 2003
Lioconvoy
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Millinescence » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:03 am

Hmm...*thinks of some manga I liked*

Fruits Basket: Stars Touru Honda, who's an orphan who is taken in by the Sohmas. For generations the Sohma family has had this curse to where if they're hugged by a member of the opposite gender, they transform into their zodiac animal. Now it's upto our ever-optimistic heroine to understand the curse and try to put a stop to it. There's also a character in there who cross-dresses, though I can't remember his name at the moment.

Ranma 1/2: Definately a must-have! ^^v

Future Diary: What if your cellphone can tell you the future? And what if that future is wrought with grim uncertainty? For one boy, this is exactly what happens. If you like action and thrills, this manga is worth a read.

Asuka Hybrid: A cute and funny TG manga that you can only find online. I don't want to give away too much of the details, but it's an intersting storyline. Here's the link

Yotsuba: From the creator of Azumanga Daioh is a story that follows the antics of Yotsuba and her friends. When I started reading this, I found parts where I just couldn't stop laughing. I would recommend this manga to anyone ~.^

Aoi House: by Adam Arnold, follows the misadventures of two down-on-their-luck college guys named Alexis "Alex" Roberts and Sandy Grayson who are thrown out of their college dorm and join an anime club dominated by crazed yaoi fangirls. I'm currently about halfway though Omnibus collection 1, and I gotta say this one is really good ^^
~deviantArt~ ~My characters~ ~The Haven of Æternalæ (yup, it's back!)~ (Φω~)b
Check out the test to find out who you are!
Millinescence
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby KonokoHasano » Wed May 05, 2010 12:32 pm

Violinist of Hameln -- It's honestly a great manga, and I'm glad that I've read it. It's about a traveling minstrel named Hameln who is the hero of the story, but he's incredibly self-centered and would sooner cook his guardian crow than go hungry for even a moment.

Rave Master -- It's another great series to read. It seems to start off slow, but then it really starts to pick up and becomes an excellent story.

Fairy Tail -- From the same author as Rave Master.

One Piece -- As Blaze said; this series is honestly awesome.

Kinnikuman -- An oldie, but it's -- in my mind -- a great series. Maybe the art does seem dated in a way, and the humor is strange and awkward a lot of the time, but I find it to be a good read.

Dragon Half -- The story of a half dragon who wants to win the love of a dragon slayer and goes on a quest to become human. It's a story dedicated in humor, and is one I'm glad that I've read.

Zettai Karen Children -- Three young girls who are psychic and work for the organization known as B.A.B.E.L. The three cause a lot of mischief to the supervisor, Miyamoto, but are honestly good girls.

Pokemon Special/Adventures -- Can't think of much more to say about it. XD

The Wallflower/Yamato Nadeshiko Shichihenge
Jump up and fly!
My characters
KonokoHasano
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Amaya » Thu May 13, 2010 7:09 am

To be honest, I find Ranma Nibonnoichi rather bland. Neither the manga nor the anime are what I consider good. They have, however, spawned an incredible amount of fanfiction, which is what I spend too much time on when I have nothing better to do.

Anyway;
Sailor Moon - It's not pink and fluffy in the same way the anime is, I enjoyed it.

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou - or Kare Kano, or His and Her Circumstances, the anime really doesn't do it justice. I got the last four books the other week, but I haven't had time to read them yet.
Amaya
Lurking MSFer
Lurking MSFer

Postby Kris_Roth » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:22 am

They made an anime of Kinnikuman, called Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnukuman Legacy, starring Mantaro Kinnikuman, the son of the legendary King Muscle. He and his friends Terry the Kid/Terry Kenyon, son of Terryman, and Wally Tuskett, Dik Dik van Dik/Gazelle Man compete in the Intergalatic Wrestling Federation (IWF), where they battle the DMP (a parody of the NwO). Kid Muscle/Mantaro's manager is named Meat, who had himself frozen to come back to train and manage Mantaro through his matches against Dial-A-Bolic, Pumpinator, and other members of the DmP. Robin Mask's son Kevin Mask (a parody of pro-wrestler Kevin Nash) was a member of the DmP, but later quit and went to train at his father's wrestling facility, the Hercules Factory, where new wrestlers train to become great competitors in the IWF. The ring announcers are Mac Metaphor and Doc Nagano.
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby KonokoHasano » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:00 am

Err... what? Ultimate Muscle is not the anime version of the Kinnikuman manga. It's the anime version of Kinnikuman Nisei, which is the sequel to Kinnikuman.

Anyway, another recommendation would be Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. It's strange and weird, often times bordering completely onto WTFery. It's rather long though at 800+ chapters.
Jump up and fly!
My characters
KonokoHasano
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Raijin » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:31 pm

Not sure it has been said, I literally sat down today and read "My Boyfriend is a Vampire" It was good I liked it!
穏やかな激怒
Raijin
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Previous

Return to Anime, Manga, and Games (Oh My!)