Fortune Summoner

Want to discuss something but don't feel like being General about it? We've got you covered~! Within is the place for all things entertainment, from the media side of things. Movies, Books, Games, Roleplaying Games, all are welcome here~

Fortune Summoner

Postby Zilla » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Someone was very thoughtful and got me the gift of Fortune Summoner a few days ago (It was on a Steam sale), and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'm kinda holding back my raving a little because I don't want to scare people off, but allow me this: This game is what I feel has been missing from the industry for almost a decade.

The story is about a young girl named Arche who moves with her family to a small town. She begins attending a magic school. In this world, magic is a part of everyday life, thanks to elemental stones that everyone keeps with them. These stones are enchanted to contain an elemental spirit, thus every magic user is technically a summoner, as they are channeling an elemental spirit to perform magic.

That's the outset anyway, and more than I had to go on when I started playing. I don't want to spoil anything, though this game's story is massive. There is a free demo that takes you through the sizable prologue. If you have any time to burn, I really suggest trying it out because a raw description of the mechanics don't do the game justice.

The game is made by the same developers as Reccetear: An Item Shop's Tale, and localized by the same group. If you're already familiar with the cute charm of Reccetear, this game has it in spades. (Capitalism, ho!)

Awwwwh, cute kitty~!

What really sets this game apart from the rest is the ridiculously advanced combat system. I dare you to try it on medium. When you have VS Mode unlocked, just try the computer set to "Weak."

But, the intensity is the reason I love this game. It really builds an entirely new system. I can't just point to a handful of other popular games and say "This game is like a combination of these." It's really its own thing, and the entire industry has been lacking in that kind of development for a while now. This feels like where we should have gone before graphics became the largest selling point, and development teams become hundreds of people working on an overproduced AAA blockbuster. There is no pandering to the lowest common denominator here, just an honestly fun and compelling game with a very cute atmosphere and loveable characters.

/soapbox
Head of the Haven of Aeternalae forums. Now 80% less threatening, 150% more cute, and 200% more loving!:D
Zilla
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Return to Anime, Manga, and Games (Oh My!)