Groundhog Day, 2012

Want to discuss something but don't feel like being General about it? We've got you covered~! Within is the place for all things entertainment, from the media side of things. Movies, Books, Games, Roleplaying Games, all are welcome here~

Groundhog Day, 2012

Postby Kris_Roth » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:14 pm

Tommorow, Feb. 2, is Groundhog Day, and the mid-winter celebration finding out whether or not Phil will see his shadow or not will be decided at Gobbler's Knob in Pennslvania.

Originally an old Germanic holiday called Candlemas, this strange custom to use a hibernating rodent to forecast the weather was brought over to America by German immigrants. Since in America, hedgehogs are not common, the next best rodent substitute would be the Groundhog/Woodchuck. In Ohio, we have Phil's cousin, Buckeye Chuck.

I think the saying is if the groundhog sees his shadow, spring comes early, and if it is too overcast to make a shadow, 6 more weeks of winter. Oh, and this year is a leap year, so we have 29 days in February. I hope I got the signs right for the shadow/no shadow groundhog forecast.
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Re: Groundhog Day, 2012

Postby Cece » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:26 pm

Not to be a naysayer, but you got it backwards. When he sees his shadow we get 6 more weeks of winter. Here's a Hog link :mrgreen: to the official groundhog day website
Cece
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby Kris_Roth » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Thanks for clearing up the myth behind the Groundhog day. Will Phil see his shadow, and forecast 6 more weeks of winter, or will he not see his shadow, giving us an early spring?
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Kris_Roth » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:14 am

Phil the groundhog says six more weeks of winter. Buckeye Chuck says early spring.
Last edited by Kris_Roth on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby AshK » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:09 pm

Phil says 6 more weeks of Winter, and Gertie our Groundhog at Wildlife Prairie State Park in Peoria, Illinois says early Spring, though we really haven't had much of a Winter unless you live in Colorado. :lol:
Last edited by AshK on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AshK
Postimus Maximus
Postimus Maximus

Postby Carmilla » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:20 am

Good news, I at least didn't get stuck repeating Groundhog Day.
And now, for something curious.
Time passes, people move...Like a river's flow, it never ends. A childish mind will turn to noble ambition...Young love will become deep affection... The clear water's surface reflects growth...
Carmilla
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Return to Anime, Manga, and Games (Oh My!)